MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Jan 2012
    • Posts
      74
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Wisconsin
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      16,436
    • Rep Power
      167

    Default A New Way of Doing Things

    Everyone thinks kettlebell training is a bit of a hoax overall, a little flare up in the fitness world that will only be around as long as Biggest Loser keeps fanning the flame. I am here to tell you otherwise, and that kettlebell training can have vast results on your strength and conditioning when added to your training regiment. Here are some of the basic techniques:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWj-6HoFGiU


    As well as some more advanced ones:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpdIZG2PnE0

    What do you guys think about adding kettlebells to your training?

  2. #2
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      1,856,604
    • Rep Power
      18,599

    Default

    Kettlebells have been around about the same amount of time as barbells I would say. They are good for some things, bad for others, just like every other training style.

    But I would rank them high, like barbells and dumbells.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  3. #3
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Jan 2012
    • Posts
      74
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Wisconsin
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      16,436
    • Rep Power
      167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    Kettlebells have been around about the same amount of time as barbells I would say. They are good for some things, bad for others, just like every other training style.

    But I would rank them high, like barbells and dumbells.
    I don't think there are a lot of people out there like you and me thoguh Spartigus.

    I don't blame people for judging it though, because it has become so commercialized lately.
    Last edited by bigmetalguy; 03-04-2012 at 02:48 AM.

  4. #4
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      1,856,604
    • Rep Power
      18,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmetalguy View Post
    I don't think there are a lot of people out there like you and me thoguh Spartigus.

    I don't blame people for judging it though, because it has become so commercialized lately.
    Hahah they are around, but often they hide.

    I find kettlebells to be extremely useful in teaching people to squat and deadlift correctly, though I soon realised that I wasnt the first person to find this out. Dan John loves the bells too. They are great conditioning tools too.

    Also if you're crazy enough you can enter the kettlebell sports.
    Last edited by Spartigus; 03-04-2012 at 04:05 AM.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  5. #5
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      Aug 2010
    • Posts
      293
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Hamilton New Zealand
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      38,655
    • Rep Power
      392

    Default

    I haven't personally used them, but I don't doubt that they have their place. Particularly due to their maneuverability.
    Lifts: (pre-shoulder surgery 24/7)

    180kg/396lb Back Squat
    210kg/462lb Deadlift
    150kg Front Squat
    100kg Push Press
    100kg Clean
    85kg Snatch
    40kg DB Chest Press for 3x12
    600kgx5 45 degree Leg press
    24kg for 10 reps Ultra Strict Seated DB Curls (been working these hard for lols)

  6. #6
    Coming Up The Ranks SnuffSaid's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jun 2011
    • Posts
      215
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      1,169,943
    • Rep Power
      11,704

    Default

    Kettlebells aren't a fad, Zumba is.

  7. #7
    Squat Jedi Randoja's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Feb 2012
    • Posts
      6,188
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Southern Oregon
    • Training Log
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      113,920,292
    • Rep Power
      1,139,235

    Default

    Hes right you know^^
    Purus Labs Representative
    www.thesquatjedi.com
    www.puruslabs.net
    https://www.facebook.com/puruslabs

  8. #8
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Jan 2012
    • Posts
      74
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Wisconsin
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      16,436
    • Rep Power
      167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SnuffSaid View Post
    Kettlebells aren't a fad, Zumba is.
    It's funny that you say that cuz I wrote a blog post a little bit ago on why kettlebells are greater than zumba for a variety of reasons...check it out

    http://becomingthebeast.tumblr.com/p...tlebells-zumba

  9. #9
    Coming Up The Ranks SnuffSaid's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jun 2011
    • Posts
      215
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      1,169,943
    • Rep Power
      11,704

    Default

    Your article is right on the money, nicely done. When I was on my level 2 fitness instructing course my tutor insisted we should all learn how to teach a Zumba class because it's where the big money is going to be. I didn't bother and I don't regret it.

  10. #10
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Jan 2012
    • Posts
      74
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Wisconsin
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      16,436
    • Rep Power
      167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SnuffSaid View Post
    Your article is right on the money, nicely done. When I was on my level 2 fitness instructing course my tutor insisted we should all learn how to teach a Zumba class because it's where the big money is going to be. I didn't bother and I don't regret it.
    Tragically Snuff, your tutor may have been right about it really being "where the big money is," but, as a prospective personal trainer myself (seeking my Kettlebell Certification through HKC this summer), I seek the quality of the client over the shear number of clients. What is your experience with that though, cuz now you got me curious.

  11. #11
    Coming Up The Ranks SnuffSaid's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jun 2011
    • Posts
      215
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      1,169,943
    • Rep Power
      11,704

    Default

    Aye, it's immensely popular, but you only have to look at popular music to know popular isn't synonymous with good, haha.

    I did my CYQ Level 2 in Fitness Instructing (Gym-Based Exercise) and I'm working towards my Level 3 in Personal Training. I do kickboxing in my spare time so I'm also qualified to teach boxercise. I fully intend to get kettlebell qualified after my level 3 because unbelievably the workshop is only 2 days long. Personally I don't think that's anywhere near long enough to learn everything you need to know about kettlebells but luckily we have access to the internet and can learn on our own time.

  12. #12
    VENI VIDI VICI Gabro's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2010
    • Posts
      3,589
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Mt. Olympus
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      55,549,403
    • Rep Power
      555,516

    Default

    For me kettlebell are total unnecessary, dont doubt that athletes can use them as a good tool, but seems more like a cardio thing than a strength thing. Personally i will never lift a kettlebell.

    Just saw this, reallyhe is an elite ketlebell athlete?
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

    175cm/75kg

  13. #13
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Jan 2012
    • Posts
      74
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Wisconsin
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      16,436
    • Rep Power
      167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabro View Post
    For me kettlebell are total unnecessary, dont doubt that athletes can use them as a good tool, but seems more like a cardio thing than a strength thing. Personally i will never lift a kettlebell.

    Just saw this, reallyhe is an elite ketlebell athlete?
    If this isn't athletic, bro, I don't know what is...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzJ0lydIhXM


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oN18s...feature=fvwrel

  14. #14
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      1,856,604
    • Rep Power
      18,599

    Default

    Dan John loves the kettlebells and he is not what you would call unathletic....
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  15. #15
    Seasoned M&S Veteran 0606196t's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Mar 2011
    • Posts
      2,449
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Scotland
    • Training Log
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      14,674,103
    • Rep Power
      146,757

    Default



    A few cool tricks I found ^^. The truth is a lot of the people who compete in kettlebell sport don't fit what people imagine them to look like. There are other people that use kettlebells, but how "swole" they are, is not indicative of kettlebells. Gabro highlights a point, I don't think anyone does kettlebells to get bigger. Its not what brought me to use them, and I know its where a lot of the people wanting to get big will tune out of it. There has been mention on how curling with kbs challenges the strength curve more or something, but I don't expect that to replace conventional free weights.

    I think kettlebells are an easier tool to use for many basic movements, and I think it builds a lot of confidence for people that don't lift. With adding it into one's workout, there's not many logs that use kettlebells as a regular player in their set up. Quite often its like a swings finisher, which doesn't make it seem as important.
    Joseph - falling into the dark side of youtube occasionally

  16. #16
    Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Aug 2008
    • Posts
      19,551
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Brigadoon
    • Training Log
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      156,079,136
    • Rep Power
      1,560,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmetalguy View Post
    Everyone thinks kettlebell training is a bit of a hoax overall, a little flare up in the fitness world that will only be around as long as Biggest Loser keeps fanning the flame. I am here to tell you otherwise, and that kettlebell training can have vast results on your strength and conditioning when added to your training regiment. Here are some of the basic techniques:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWj-6HoFGiU


    As well as some more advanced ones:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpdIZG2PnE0

    What do you guys think about adding kettlebells to your training?
    Too much generalisation about everyone having the same view of kettlebells There are plenty that incorporate KBs as well as BBs and DBs into our training sessions.

  17. #17
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Jan 2012
    • Posts
      74
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Wisconsin
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      16,436
    • Rep Power
      167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    Too much generalisation about everyone having the same view of kettlebells There are plenty that incorporate KBs as well as BBs and DBs into our training sessions.
    I know you are a proponent of the kettlebell, 5kglifter, but you would have to agree that people look at you like a martian if you go to the gym and start snatching a 24kg bell lol.

  18. #18
    VENI VIDI VICI Gabro's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2010
    • Posts
      3,589
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Mt. Olympus
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      55,549,403
    • Rep Power
      555,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmetalguy View Post
    I know you are a proponent of the kettlebell, 5kglifter, but you would have to agree that people look at you like a martian if you go to the gym and start snatching a 24kg bell lol.
    can you blame them? everybody has bench press in theirs life, but i dont know one person who lift kattlebells, its normal that they look at you lkike that. still thinks that its a cool ''cardio'' tool, I can image overweight people doing the typical cardio things, but plus kettlebells it would be a lot better, not saying that its just for overweight people
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

    175cm/75kg

  19. #19
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      1,856,604
    • Rep Power
      18,599

    Default

    Try swing a 100lb kettlebell, you need to be strong for that. It will test you in all sorts of ways.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  20. #20
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Jan 2012
    • Posts
      74
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Wisconsin
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      16,436
    • Rep Power
      167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    Try swing a 100lb kettlebell, you need to be strong for that. It will test you in all sorts of ways.
    ...I know the feeling, Spartigus. It's kinda like

  21. #21
    VENI VIDI VICI Gabro's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2010
    • Posts
      3,589
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Mt. Olympus
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      55,549,403
    • Rep Power
      555,516

    Default

    -Yo brah how much do you kettlebell swing?
    -'bout tree fiddy
    I do not count reps, I make every rep count !!

    175cm/75kg

  22. #22
    Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Aug 2008
    • Posts
      19,551
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Brigadoon
    • Training Log
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      156,079,136
    • Rep Power
      1,560,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmetalguy View Post
    I know you are a proponent of the kettlebell, 5kglifter, but you would have to agree that people look at you like a martian if you go to the gym and start snatching a 24kg bell lol.
    They would, it's true Then again they don't have KBs at the gym, so I guess they really would.

    I do agree, though, many, or at least at one time, would have looked but they are getting to be so commonplace now that it's more a tool turned gimmick turned tool again and they have gone a full circle, in that sense.

    The interesting thing is that whilst some men seem to find them a source for amusement, mostly because they've never lifted one or not seriously lifted one; women, tend to use them for lifting and/or conditioning because they don't have the stigma of the barbell and bulky muscles (though we know that's also a fallacy because they are still to all intents and purposes a weight and will act on the body in the same way as a BB etc), but, because they don't yet have the stigma or are not male related, in a sense, females feel comfortable lifting them.

    Powerlifters use them in their training and have to use less weight using them than they would with the barbell, they suddenly realise how difficult they can be due to their centre of gravity and shape etc.

  23. #23
    Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Aug 2008
    • Posts
      19,551
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Brigadoon
    • Training Log
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      156,079,136
    • Rep Power
      1,560,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartigus View Post
    Try swing a 100lb kettlebell, you need to be strong for that. It will test you in all sorts of ways.
    I'll stick with a measly 62lbs for swinging

  24. #24
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Jan 2012
    • Posts
      74
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Wisconsin
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      16,436
    • Rep Power
      167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    They would, it's true Then again they don't have KBs at the gym, so I guess they really would.

    I do agree, though, many, or at least at one time, would have looked but they are getting to be so commonplace now that it's more a tool turned gimmick turned tool again and they have gone a full circle, in that sense.

    The interesting thing is that whilst some men seem to find them a source for amusement, mostly because they've never lifted one or not seriously lifted one; women, tend to use them for lifting and/or conditioning because they don't have the stigma of the barbell and bulky muscles (though we know that's also a fallacy because they are still to all intents and purposes a weight and will act on the body in the same way as a BB etc), but, because they don't yet have the stigma or are not male related, in a sense, females feel comfortable lifting them.

    Powerlifters use them in their training and have to use less weight using them than they would with the barbell, they suddenly realise how difficult they can be due to their centre of gravity and shape etc.

    Amen to that, brother. I have noticed a lot more females eventually get into it then men for sure simply because women think that barbells and dumbells are man's domain. Why we have created that stigma, I will never know. Any thoughts?

  25. #25
    Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Aug 2008
    • Posts
      19,551
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Female
    • Location
      Brigadoon
    • Training Log
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      156,079,136
    • Rep Power
      1,560,895

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigmetalguy View Post
    Amen to that, brother. I have noticed a lot more females eventually get into it then men for sure simply because women think that barbells and dumbells are man's domain. Why we have created that stigma, I will never know. Any thoughts?
    It's simple actually, women seen at a gym and in the weight's section are really few and far between because of the stereotype of huge muscles (relating to males and of course the female lifters that take steroids and such as well, all of it creates a poor image of the barbell) which is mostly the view people get, men included...they don't see the side where there is no obvious muscle bulging occurring but yet a barbell is in use.

    KBs, on the other hand, have for the most part been aimed at conditioning and very little huge lean gains, even though they are just a weight and can function equally as well in both respects, like a barbell or any other object that weighs enough to overload the muscles...so KBs appeal to women, at least it gets them lifting weights which is great.

    You'd be surprised, or maybe not, at the amount of negative comments females receive, when lifting weights, comments that are normally aimed at the apparent low weights being lifted without their bodyweight and/or gender based strength being taken into the equation both of which only push females away from gyms and weights in general; I guess, they haven't yet had to face that with KBs.

    Of all the times I've been to the gym, not many (since I train at home mostly), I've never seen any other female go to the barbell, other than me...then again, I seldom see men using it either...very strange really.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Little Things and Big Things
    By Steve in forum Workouts & Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-06-2010, 11:55 AM
  2. A Few things to ask
    By Mesodray in forum Fat Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-04-2009, 05:26 PM
  3. Four things.
    By Graeme in forum Critique My Physique
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM
  4. Little things that **** you off?
    By MastaShake15 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-26-2009, 08:10 AM
  5. trying to mix things up a bit.
    By Synchronize in forum Muscle Building Workouts & Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-19-2009, 02:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Follow M&S
Contact Us

Muscle & Strength, LLC
1118 First Street South
Columbia, SC 29209
PH: 1-800-537-9910
Email: click here

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
© Copyright 2013, Muscle & Strength LLC. Images copyright of their respective owners. Contact Us | Affiliate Program | Terms of Use