MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Photos

Default Replacing Leg Curl and Hyperextension with Deadlift

My title pretty much says it all. In my current routine, i'm supposed to do leg curls on Tuesday (leg day) and hyperextensions (back day) on Thursday. However, my gym's leg curl machine is broken. In this case, would it be fine to just do straight leg deadlifts on Thursday and remove these two exercises? Also, what is the difference between straight leg and stiff leg and would you recommend keeping your back straight or let it bend (on purpose)?

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

i thought they were the same thing?? If not they are similar then. I just tried doing these not too long ago and my lower back was almost in pain, not DOMS like. After analyzing what the hell I was doing I realized some mistakes I probably made. I wasnt looking into a mirror side ways and making sure the natural arch in my back stayed the same as I lowered the bar, it was probably bent and I just couldnt see because I was looking straight ahead.

So look to the side and make sure your back doesnt round because it hurts! Also I was using too heavy of weight. Keep it light when learning this exercise. This exercise is largely affected by how flexible your hams already are. If they are flexible then you'll be able to do a farther stretch while keeping a natural positioned back.

the knees should be bent slightly and mind/muscle connection focused solely on your hamstrings. You will need to bend the knees slightly while pushing your hips/butt out to lower the bar down your thighs, keep the bar close to your body the whole time not out. You should feel the stretch and tension in your hams as you lower the bar.

and lastly yes I think this would be a good sub for the exercise. Also if you look into "Maja on doomsday's" workout log, towards the end, bob posted a vid on how to do "glute hamstring raises." Never done these myself but looking forward to trying it and it looks gnarly

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

I wouldn't replace a leg exercise with deadlifts. I asked a simular question on here a while ago. Deadlifts don't focus on legs. You would probably be better off doing squats or golbet squats if you don't have them in your workout already.
    COMPOUND! COMPOUND! COMPOUND! ...isolation.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Skippysje View Post
    I wouldn't replace a leg exercise with deadlifts. I asked a simular question on here a while ago. Deadlifts don't focus on legs. You would probably be better off doing squats or golbet squats if you don't have them in your workout already.
    stiff leg deads are different than regular deads and nail your back side of the legs if done correctly and controlled

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by GreekStrong View Post
    stiff leg deads are different than regular deads and nail your back side of the legs if done correctly and controlled
    Apologies, I missed that bit. I fail to see how straight deads would be a suitable replacement for leg curls though. Surely that would be like replacing bicep curls with bench press!? I get the hyperextesions being replaced with straight leg deads, but do not understand why the curls would be taken out too.
    Last edited by Skippysje; 02-21-2012 at 06:46 AM.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Yeah mate Deadlifts work your lower back and hammys well. However, it will depend on what kind of deadlifts as to how well, as the amount of hamstring, lower back and other muscles that provide the force for the movement is not always equal. This depends on the kind of deadlift, and your form when doing it.
    Stiff leg-deadlifts work the hamstrings best, and I actually prefer them to leg curls, as wierd as that sounds.
    Conventional deadlifts work the lower back more.
    And then there are other types that I haven't personally done such as Romanian DL and Sumo stance DL.

Hope that helps.
    Lifts: (pre-shoulder surgery 24/7)

180kg/396lb Back Squat
    210kg/462lb Deadlift
    150kg Front Squat
    100kg Push Press
    100kg Clean
    85kg Snatch
    40kg DB Chest Press for 3x12
    600kgx5 45 degree Leg press
    24kg for 10 reps Ultra Strict Seated DB Curls (been working these hard for lols)

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Woaaahh! Your saying deadlifts DONT work your legs? When did this happen...

The only thing that worries me more than people saying deadlifts dont work their legs, is someone choosing leg curls and hyperextentions over deadlifts.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Here's what a deadlift works (bellow). Legs are definitely involved! If they're not, I feel sorry for your lower back and vertebrae.

Target

Gluteus Maximus

Synergists

Quadriceps
    Adductor Magnus
    Soleus

Dynamic Stabilizers

Hamstrings
    Gastrocnemius

Stabilizers

Erector Spinae
    Trapezius, Middle
    Trapezius, Upper
    Levator Scapulae
    Rhomboids

Antagonist Stabilizers

Rectus Abdominis
    Obliques

Source
    Goal:

700kg (1,543lbs) total

Progress:

0%==========||==========100%

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

I wasn't trying to suggest deads DON'T work legs, but just not as well as squats will.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Both functional lifting AKA deadlifts and isolated exercises such as leg curls and back extensions work the musculature but differently. So including both and you see growth- one technique only and you will see some but plateaus are much easier to see without any body shaping.
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90)

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Photos

Just to clarify, I already do normal deadlifts on Tuesday, and would like to include straight leg deadlifts on thursday. Based on what everybody is saying, straight leg deadlifts will work the hamstring as long as its proper form?

Quote Originally Posted by yitmy View Post
    Both functional lifting AKA deadlifts and isolated exercises such as leg curls and back extensions work the musculature but differently. So including both and you see growth- one technique only and you will see some but plateaus are much easier to see without any body shaping.
    What other lift should i do in order to replace leg curls then?

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Hmm I have seen SLDL be more of a back exercise along with hyperextensions and the regular deadlift being more of a leg exercise...or maybe I have it mixed up. Anyhow to replace leg curls you can do an exercise where by you lock you ankles down so you are in a kneeling fashion and bend your knees into extension thus your hamstrings are holding you up(I use a bar for my abs are not strong enough to hold my trunk up and reduce the amount of flexion of my trunk that occurs) then back to starting position. It is a grueling exercise one where kneeling on a pillow is helpful to add some cushion and reduce pain. Remember to stretch your hamstrings after for you are really training your hamstrings to failure with this one!

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Why replace it? I would just do them all. But then again, I pay close attention to maxing out on leg day. I feel that Legs are the one group where people "cheat themselves" I like the burn and feeling of not being able to walk. That's how I know I did W-O-R-K
    MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION - Brand Rep

"Your Home for Affordable, High Quality, Nutritional Supplements"

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by royalon06 View Post
    However, my gym's leg curl machine is broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by AMuscle1 View Post
    Why replace it? I would just do them all. But then again, I pay close attention to maxing out on leg day. I feel that Legs are the one group where people "cheat themselves" I like the burn and feeling of not being able to walk. That's how I know I did W-O-R-K
    Hmm I agree you really do not want to replace it but since its broke I think the alternatives work out fine.

Also you can use a quadricep curl machine and stand and face the seat and place the roller just above ankle and with the seat pad resting on thigh then while standing bend your knee and curl the weight to your thigh if you can and slowly lower. This is often a great exercise and due to your leg moving more you can feel the contracture higher on your hamstring-just under the glute. When your leg curl is fixed you may wish to continue doing this outstanding hamstring curl variation.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by GreekStrong View Post
    i thought they were the same thing?? If not they are similar then. I just tried doing these not too long ago and my lower back was almost in pain, not DOMS like. After analyzing what the hell I was doing I realized some mistakes I probably made. I wasnt looking into a mirror side ways and making sure the natural arch in my back stayed the same as I lowered the bar, it was probably bent and I just couldnt see because I was looking straight ahead.

So look to the side and make sure your back doesnt round because it hurts! Also I was using too heavy of weight. Keep it light when learning this exercise. This exercise is largely affected by how flexible your hams already are. If they are flexible then you'll be able to do a farther stretch while keeping a natural positioned back.

the knees should be bent slightly and mind/muscle connection focused solely on your hamstrings. You will need to bend the knees slightly while pushing your hips/butt out to lower the bar down your thighs, keep the bar close to your body the whole time not out. You should feel the stretch and tension in your hams as you lower the bar.

and lastly yes I think this would be a good sub for the exercise. Also if you look into "Maja on doomsday's" workout log, towards the end, bob posted a vid on how to do "glute hamstring raises." Never done these myself but looking forward to trying it and it looks gnarly

yes you can subsitute stiff-legged deadlifts because they also hit the hamstrings as well. Most people forget that.