MEMBER LOGIN

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Sep 2011
    • Posts
      6
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Indonesia
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default Replacing Leg Curl and Hyperextension with Deadlift

    My title pretty much says it all. In my current routine, i'm supposed to do leg curls on Tuesday (leg day) and hyperextensions (back day) on Thursday. However, my gym's leg curl machine is broken. In this case, would it be fine to just do straight leg deadlifts on Thursday and remove these two exercises? Also, what is the difference between straight leg and stiff leg and would you recommend keeping your back straight or let it bend (on purpose)?

  2. #2
    Regular Poster GreekStrong's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Apr 2011
    • Posts
      484
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Gilbert,AZ
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      3,048,867
    • Rep Power
      30,494

    Default

    i thought they were the same thing?? If not they are similar then. I just tried doing these not too long ago and my lower back was almost in pain, not DOMS like. After analyzing what the hell I was doing I realized some mistakes I probably made. I wasnt looking into a mirror side ways and making sure the natural arch in my back stayed the same as I lowered the bar, it was probably bent and I just couldnt see because I was looking straight ahead.

    So look to the side and make sure your back doesnt round because it hurts! Also I was using too heavy of weight. Keep it light when learning this exercise. This exercise is largely affected by how flexible your hams already are. If they are flexible then you'll be able to do a farther stretch while keeping a natural positioned back.

    the knees should be bent slightly and mind/muscle connection focused solely on your hamstrings. You will need to bend the knees slightly while pushing your hips/butt out to lower the bar down your thighs, keep the bar close to your body the whole time not out. You should feel the stretch and tension in your hams as you lower the bar.

    and lastly yes I think this would be a good sub for the exercise. Also if you look into "Maja on doomsday's" workout log, towards the end, bob posted a vid on how to do "glute hamstring raises." Never done these myself but looking forward to trying it and it looks gnarly

  3. #3
    Frequent Poster Skippysje's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Feb 2011
    • Posts
      748
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Oxford
    • Training Log
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      8,907,636
    • Rep Power
      89,083

    Default

    I wouldn't replace a leg exercise with deadlifts. I asked a simular question on here a while ago. Deadlifts don't focus on legs. You would probably be better off doing squats or golbet squats if you don't have them in your workout already.
    COMPOUND! COMPOUND! COMPOUND! ...isolation.

  4. #4
    Regular Poster GreekStrong's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Apr 2011
    • Posts
      484
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Gilbert,AZ
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      3,048,867
    • Rep Power
      30,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skippysje View Post
    I wouldn't replace a leg exercise with deadlifts. I asked a simular question on here a while ago. Deadlifts don't focus on legs. You would probably be better off doing squats or golbet squats if you don't have them in your workout already.
    stiff leg deads are different than regular deads and nail your back side of the legs if done correctly and controlled

  5. #5
    Frequent Poster Skippysje's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Feb 2011
    • Posts
      748
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Oxford
    • Training Log
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      8,907,636
    • Rep Power
      89,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreekStrong View Post
    stiff leg deads are different than regular deads and nail your back side of the legs if done correctly and controlled
    Apologies, I missed that bit. I fail to see how straight deads would be a suitable replacement for leg curls though. Surely that would be like replacing bicep curls with bench press!? I get the hyperextesions being replaced with straight leg deads, but do not understand why the curls would be taken out too.
    Last edited by Skippysje; 02-21-2012 at 06:46 AM.
    COMPOUND! COMPOUND! COMPOUND! ...isolation.

  6. #6
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      Aug 2010
    • Posts
      293
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Hamilton New Zealand
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      38,655
    • Rep Power
      392

    Default

    Yeah mate Deadlifts work your lower back and hammys well. However, it will depend on what kind of deadlifts as to how well, as the amount of hamstring, lower back and other muscles that provide the force for the movement is not always equal. This depends on the kind of deadlift, and your form when doing it.
    Stiff leg-deadlifts work the hamstrings best, and I actually prefer them to leg curls, as wierd as that sounds.
    Conventional deadlifts work the lower back more.
    And then there are other types that I haven't personally done such as Romanian DL and Sumo stance DL.

    Hope that helps.
    Lifts: (pre-shoulder surgery 24/7)

    180kg/396lb Back Squat
    210kg/462lb Deadlift
    150kg Front Squat
    100kg Push Press
    100kg Clean
    85kg Snatch
    40kg DB Chest Press for 3x12
    600kgx5 45 degree Leg press
    24kg for 10 reps Ultra Strict Seated DB Curls (been working these hard for lols)

  7. #7
    Seasoned M&S Veteran Spartigus's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Dec 2007
    • Posts
      5,356
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Sydney, Australia
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      1,856,604
    • Rep Power
      18,599

    Default

    Woaaahh! Your saying deadlifts DONT work your legs? When did this happen...

    The only thing that worries me more than people saying deadlifts dont work their legs, is someone choosing leg curls and hyperextentions over deadlifts.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

    "When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

  8. #8
    Regular Poster itsn8o's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jun 2011
    • Posts
      427
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Australia, Adelaide
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      407,938
    • Rep Power
      4,085

    Default

    Here's what a deadlift works (bellow). Legs are definitely involved! If they're not, I feel sorry for your lower back and vertebrae.

    Target

    Gluteus Maximus

    Synergists

    Quadriceps
    Adductor Magnus
    Soleus

    Dynamic Stabilizers

    Hamstrings
    Gastrocnemius

    Stabilizers

    Erector Spinae
    Trapezius, Middle
    Trapezius, Upper
    Levator Scapulae
    Rhomboids

    Antagonist Stabilizers

    Rectus Abdominis
    Obliques

    Source
    Goal:

    700kg (1,543lbs) total

    Progress:

    0%==========||==========100%

  9. #9
    Frequent Poster Skippysje's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Feb 2011
    • Posts
      748
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Oxford
    • Training Log
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      8,907,636
    • Rep Power
      89,083

    Default

    I wasn't trying to suggest deads DON'T work legs, but just not as well as squats will.
    COMPOUND! COMPOUND! COMPOUND! ...isolation.

  10. #10
    M&S Injury Advisor yitmy's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Nov 2006
    • Posts
      3,504
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Ohio
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      21,617,046
    • Rep Power
      216,195

    Default

    Both functional lifting AKA deadlifts and isolated exercises such as leg curls and back extensions work the musculature but differently. So including both and you see growth- one technique only and you will see some but plateaus are much easier to see without any body shaping.
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90)

  11. #11
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Sep 2011
    • Posts
      6
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Indonesia
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    Just to clarify, I already do normal deadlifts on Tuesday, and would like to include straight leg deadlifts on thursday. Based on what everybody is saying, straight leg deadlifts will work the hamstring as long as its proper form?

    Quote Originally Posted by yitmy View Post
    Both functional lifting AKA deadlifts and isolated exercises such as leg curls and back extensions work the musculature but differently. So including both and you see growth- one technique only and you will see some but plateaus are much easier to see without any body shaping.
    What other lift should i do in order to replace leg curls then?

  12. #12
    M&S Injury Advisor yitmy's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Nov 2006
    • Posts
      3,504
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Ohio
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      21,617,046
    • Rep Power
      216,195

    Default

    Hmm I have seen SLDL be more of a back exercise along with hyperextensions and the regular deadlift being more of a leg exercise...or maybe I have it mixed up. Anyhow to replace leg curls you can do an exercise where by you lock you ankles down so you are in a kneeling fashion and bend your knees into extension thus your hamstrings are holding you up(I use a bar for my abs are not strong enough to hold my trunk up and reduce the amount of flexion of my trunk that occurs) then back to starting position. It is a grueling exercise one where kneeling on a pillow is helpful to add some cushion and reduce pain. Remember to stretch your hamstrings after for you are really training your hamstrings to failure with this one!
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90)

  13. #13
    M&S Power User
    • Join Date
      Jun 2011
    • Posts
      1,688
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      U.S.
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      14,050,439
    • Rep Power
      140,516

    Default

    Why replace it? I would just do them all. But then again, I pay close attention to maxing out on leg day. I feel that Legs are the one group where people "cheat themselves" I like the burn and feeling of not being able to walk. That's how I know I did W-O-R-K
    MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION - Brand Rep

    "Your Home for Affordable, High Quality, Nutritional Supplements"

  14. #14
    M&S Injury Advisor yitmy's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Nov 2006
    • Posts
      3,504
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Ohio
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      21,617,046
    • Rep Power
      216,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by royalon06 View Post
    However, my gym's leg curl machine is broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by AMuscle1 View Post
    Why replace it? I would just do them all. But then again, I pay close attention to maxing out on leg day. I feel that Legs are the one group where people "cheat themselves" I like the burn and feeling of not being able to walk. That's how I know I did W-O-R-K
    Hmm I agree you really do not want to replace it but since its broke I think the alternatives work out fine.

    Also you can use a quadricep curl machine and stand and face the seat and place the roller just above ankle and with the seat pad resting on thigh then while standing bend your knee and curl the weight to your thigh if you can and slowly lower. This is often a great exercise and due to your leg moving more you can feel the contracture higher on your hamstring-just under the glute. When your leg curl is fixed you may wish to continue doing this outstanding hamstring curl variation.
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90)

  15. #15
    Regular Poster
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      342
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      louisiana
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      15,873,266
    • Rep Power
      158,737

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreekStrong View Post
    i thought they were the same thing?? If not they are similar then. I just tried doing these not too long ago and my lower back was almost in pain, not DOMS like. After analyzing what the hell I was doing I realized some mistakes I probably made. I wasnt looking into a mirror side ways and making sure the natural arch in my back stayed the same as I lowered the bar, it was probably bent and I just couldnt see because I was looking straight ahead.

    So look to the side and make sure your back doesnt round because it hurts! Also I was using too heavy of weight. Keep it light when learning this exercise. This exercise is largely affected by how flexible your hams already are. If they are flexible then you'll be able to do a farther stretch while keeping a natural positioned back.

    the knees should be bent slightly and mind/muscle connection focused solely on your hamstrings. You will need to bend the knees slightly while pushing your hips/butt out to lower the bar down your thighs, keep the bar close to your body the whole time not out. You should feel the stretch and tension in your hams as you lower the bar.

    and lastly yes I think this would be a good sub for the exercise. Also if you look into "Maja on doomsday's" workout log, towards the end, bob posted a vid on how to do "glute hamstring raises." Never done these myself but looking forward to trying it and it looks gnarly


    yes you can subsitute stiff-legged deadlifts because they also hit the hamstrings as well. Most people forget that.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Question about hyperextension exercise
    By KittyKat in forum Beginners Questions & Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 08:09 AM
  2. Help regarding hyperextension
    By Moona in forum Fat Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 03:37 PM
  3. standing barbell curl or preacher curl
    By FP3065 in forum Exercises
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 09:03 AM
  4. Hyperextension question
    By MastaShake15 in forum Exercises
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2008, 08:07 PM
  5. Hammer curl + pain at regular curl
    By Konerboy in forum Exercises
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 02:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Follow M&S
Contact Us

Muscle & Strength, LLC
1118 First Street South
Columbia, SC 29209
PH: 1-800-537-9910
Email: click here

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
© Copyright 2013, Muscle & Strength LLC. Images copyright of their respective owners. Contact Us | Affiliate Program | Terms of Use