MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Default Help for my Friend with Gaining Weight/Muscle

I have a friend who is tiny and really wants to gain some weight/muscle. I'm not sure what her exact weight is, but she's short and thin. The problem is that she won't eat veggies and she doesn't like anything that's healthy except for steak and fruit. When I go eat with her, she always gets full really fast, like she can't eat huge portions. She also isn't really eating much because she has been sad about breaking up with her boyfriend. She loves to run and when she goes to the gym with me, that's what she wants to do, but she should be focusing more on lifting.

She asked me to post for you guys to give her some advice. She really wants to get healthy and feel good. Any advice about supplements or how she should get started would be great. I just don't know how to help her when she doesn't want to eat healthy. Thanks
    Last edited by samgirl9992; 02-17-2012 at 12:57 PM.
    I'm a girl and I lift heavy s hit

Train like a girl!

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

It goes without saying that nutrition is the most important factor to be taken into account. For an increase in mass there has to be a surplus in calories, have her BMR calculated and add 500 to it to get a general idea of the calories she will need. Look towards eating carbohydrates (potatoes, rice, pasta, wheat - try and avoid refined types) and proteins (fish, chicken, lean beef, whey protein). If however she really is that picky, look into going on a gainer. This will not only provide a large amount of required carbs and protein, but also be easier to consume. If she STILL isn't make the calories eat lots of nuts & peanut butter, but be warned this is a risky game to play!
    "That pain you feel is the weakness leaving you're body"

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm confused. You said she wants to get healthy & feel good, but in the same breath, you say she doesn't want to eat healthy. Kind of contradictory. lol

The reality is, we can give all the terrific advice in the world. If she truly doesn't want to make the change, no one can force her. And no supplement will help with that.

Now, if you're friends mindset changes, then we've got something to work with!

My suggestion is to try incorporating some healthy choices little by little. Once she gets used to a couple, after 2-3 weeks, introduce another couple into her diet.

Good luck!
    Natural Pro Bodybuilder
    Team P/RR/S Warrior

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by samgirl9992 View Post
    I have a friend who is tiny and really wants to gain some weight/muscle. I'm not sure what her exact weight is, but she's short and thin. The problem is that she won't eat veggies and she doesn't like anything that's healthy except for steak and fruit. When I go eat with her, she always gets full really fast, like she can't eat huge portions. She also isn't really eating much because she has been sad about breaking up with her boyfriend. She loves to run and when she goes to the gym with me, that's what she wants to do, but she should be focusing more on lifting.

She asked me to post for you guys to give her some advice. She really wants to get healthy and feel good. Any advice about supplements or how she should get started would be great. I just don't know how to help her when she doesn't want to eat healthy. Thanks
    Hi, I agree with the posts above, "if she wants-she has to do", its that simple. Under eating is only going to slow her metabolism, and cause her body not to run efficiently. If she is severly under eating, and then burning off even more calories from exercise, its not going to help at all. The exercise does give health benefits but it also burns calories that she isnt putting into her body.

Tell her she has to be starting to eat three meals per day, even if she only has small portions at each meal, gradually she can increase the portion size, or increase the meal frequency.
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - Gemini Fitness Centre

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"