MEMBER LOGIN

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Working out after work , and Deadlift ?

Ok I have finally ogt my head on straight and have settled on this workout (below) I am going to do this for a month and then go to a split. I have alot of time off now in winter so its not a problem to get my days in the gym,,, But when back to work everyday which could be soon I will be working out once or twice a week after work. The question is, working out while exhausted after working a 10 or 12 hour day driving dump trucks and running equipment what kind of results can I expect? Or will it be not a good idea to workout?

Its well known that squats and deadlifts are the main compound movements everyone should do. I have bad back problems, discs, and am squating very light with kettlebells or on the Smith Machine for stability. There is no way I am bending to lift any weights off the floor, not going to happen. What can I do to replicate the muscle work I would get with deadlifts without doing them at all? Or just not even try?

Thanks T

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...s-gains.html#6

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I also do not do deadlifts for a similar reason, but not quite the same. I do dumbell rows. They will not replicate the deadlifts but they are an overall back exercise and I couple them with pullups. These 2 exercises are now my main back exercises.
    Height: 6'-2"
    weight January 2012: 184 pounds
    Weight February 19 2012: 187 pounds

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

The answer is pullups with body weight and weight all types of rep schemes. You will have tons of power shoot for getting up to 100 lbs strapped for reps you will have tons of power and your lower back will be fine. You will need more days off when you work those long hours make sure you recover well and zma helps a lot for getting deep sleep. I hate when I have those long 12 hour days of work. But you can still make gains.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I do alot of rows dumbell, cable seated rows and machine plate rows. My favorite exersise rows are. I am doing the 45 degree leg press for the heavier leg work, in addition to lunges, both weighted and body weight. Pullups not the easiest move to do, but I am getting there, doing 5 in good form for 3 sets. After work workouts are not the best for me but if I can hit the gym one day a week after work and then Sat and Sun Im good I guess.

T

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by tonphil1960 View Post
    I do alot of rows dumbell, cable seated rows and machine plate rows. My favorite exersise rows are. I am doing the 45 degree leg press for the heavier leg work, in addition to lunges, both weighted and body weight. Pullups not the easiest move to do, but I am getting there, doing 5 in good form for 3 sets. After work workouts are not the best for me but if I can hit the gym one day a week after work and then Sat and Sun Im good I guess.

T
    This is a full body routine you have linked. It is not a good idea to work 2 consecutive days as your muscles will not get the recovery time they need.
    You can lead a man to knowledge but you can't make him think

Meet PR's
    Squat: 182.5kg 402.34lbs
    Bench: 142.5kg 314.16lbs
    Deadlift: 220kg 485.01lbs
    Total: 545kg 1201.51lbs

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by tonphil1960 View Post
    Ok I have finally ogt my head on straight and have settled on this workout (below) I am going to do this for a month and then go to a split. I have alot of time off now in winter so its not a problem to get my days in the gym,,, But when back to work everyday which could be soon I will be working out once or twice a week after work. The question is, working out while exhausted after working a 10 or 12 hour day driving dump trucks and running equipment what kind of results can I expect? Or will it be not a good idea to workout?

Its well known that squats and deadlifts are the main compound movements everyone should do. I have bad back problems, discs, and am squating very light with kettlebells or on the Smith Machine for stability. There is no way I am bending to lift any weights off the floor, not going to happen. What can I do to replicate the muscle work I would get with deadlifts without doing them at all? Or just not even try?

Thanks T

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...s-gains.html#6
    Why do it for just a month? Thats a waste of time...

Only once or twice? Pick one and stick to it, pick twice and do that, it will be better.

Just eat food and learn to lift and you will recover just fine.

Tell me more about what your back problem is.

Squatting on a smith will probably make your back worse. Kettlebells are good as long as you do goblet squats or front squats with them, that will teach you to squat well. If you can do goblet squats and front squats with kettlebells, then you should be fine to do heavy back squats with a bar.

You arent bending to pick weights up when you deadlift, you are hinging. Nothing will replace it. Tell me more about your back problem then we can talk about what you can and cannot do.

I had lower back problems, correctly squatting and deadlift heavy fixed it.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I am doing a split, I did the full body just for a little while, because I might hit the gym 2, 3 or 4 days in a row, or it may be just Sat and Sun, full body didnt work out. The split works out better for me.

Back Bi's
    Chest Tri's
    Legs
    Stretching and abs every time I workout to keep my core strong.
    Shoulder are included in the above every other workout.

I am doing this whenever I go to the gym, just rotate from one to the other.

I have degerative disc disease in 3 lumbar and 2 cervical discs, spinal stenosis, and it only gets worse with time, going on 20 years now with this problem.
    As of now No squats at all for me, lunges and 45 degree leg press is all I am doing.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Not sure if you can do squats or not, but I would think not . If not, you may be able to do DB squats. I can't put the weight on my shoulders as it causes spinal compression, but I can do DB squats.
    Height: 6'-2"
    weight January 2012: 184 pounds
    Weight February 19 2012: 187 pounds

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Yea I can do them with dumbells, just by choice I am staying away from them. The lunges are good enough, either with or without weight.

T

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Hey just wondering does your back still hurt the same when you do front squats?
    You could also try making lunges part of your leg workout. People tend not to do them... wanna know why? Because they are hard! Only reason. For athletic performance, balance, glute and hip strength they are the king (disputable I suppose), and if squats and deadlifts are out of the picture then lunges or split squats could be a valuable addition. For lunges once you can get say 3 x20 then I would assume you have the exercise sussed and you can move onto weighted lunges for 3x12 or something like that.
    Lifts: (pre-shoulder surgery 24/7)

180kg/396lb Back Squat
    210kg/462lb Deadlift
    150kg Front Squat
    100kg Push Press
    100kg Clean
    85kg Snatch
    40kg DB Chest Press for 3x12
    600kgx5 45 degree Leg press
    24kg for 10 reps Ultra Strict Seated DB Curls (been working these hard for lols)

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Agree with above

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Yes i do do lunges sometimes weighted sometimes not, just a regular part of my workout now. The 45 dgreee leg press works out good for me too. The worst thing is not never knowing what exactly makes my back go "out" when its "out" I am crippled, could be for few days could be for weeks. Seems like when I do hurt it its doing something light or just moving the wrong way, never doing something heavy or lifting. I walk on eggshells everyday with this back, not fun.

T