MEMBER LOGIN

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default A tip to the teens in here who train!

Guys no matter what the big and older guys tell you nor what the gurus in the magazines will say,i'm giving you this tip guys...

Never ever ever neglect training on the Olympic Lifts.

When I was a teen I lived and breathed the weider system,and it was the founders contention that Bodybuilders did not need to do Olympic lifts.

I was not until years later I found out he was saying that because of a fall out between him and Bob Hoffman and the AAU.And know I myself follow Bob Hoffmans York Training System..and can see the wisdom of training on the Olympic lifts even if it is only 2 or 3 months out of the year.

So I urge you to take at least 1 month early in the year and 1 month later on in the year and train on the Olympic lifts because it will build over all Body strength and help thicking your muscles up far more then simply training for size will.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

[QUOTE=Conan;737133]Guys no matter what the big and older guys tell you nor what the gurus in the magazines will say,i'm giving you this tip guys...

Never ever ever neglect training on the Olympic Lifts.

When I was a teen I lived and breathed the weider system,and it was the founders contention that Bodybuilders did not need to do Olympic lifts.

It was not until years later I found out he was saying that because of a fall out between him and Bob Hoffman and the AAU.And know I myself follow Bob Hoffmans York Training System..and can see the wisdom of training on the Olympic lifts even if it is only 2 or 3 months out of the year.

So I urge you to take at least 1 month early in the year and 1 month later on in the year and train on the Olympic lifts because it will build over all Body strength and help thicking your muscles up far more then simply training for size will.If I myself had known thins when i was a teen I would have trained them like crazy

Frequent Poster
    • Photos

Oly lifting and training for size are completely different. First of all, Oly lifts take a lot of practice and usually a coach to get everything right. Secondly, you can use a lot more weight with traditional lifts which will translate to faster progression and potentially greater mass. Lastly, there are more traditional strength lifts that are easierv to learn, safer to perform, and have similar effects on muscle mass. Oly lifts are fantastic if you want to take the time to learn them, and they will certainly add gobs of muscle, but they require more than a few months out of the year.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Thanks for the tip, think it'll be a while longer before I start trying the Oly lifts though.
    Front gets you laid. Back gets you paid.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Thanks for the tip.

RESULTS TAKE EFFORT AND DEDICATION. IF YOU DON'T HAVE PROPER EXERCISE AND NUTRITION HABITS, SUPPLEMENTS WON'T DO ANYTHING FOR YOU.......

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Oly lifting and training for size are completely different. First of all, Oly lifts take a lot of practice and usually a coach to get everything right. Secondly, you can use a lot more weight with traditional lifts which will translate to faster progression and potentially greater mass. Lastly, there are more traditional strength lifts that are easierv to learn, safer to perform, and have similar effects on muscle mass. Oly lifts are fantastic if you want to take the time to learn them, and they will certainly add gobs of muscle, but they require more than a few months out of the year.
    true they will take longer if you are doing like me going into them for the long haul,but to help inprover over all body strength and add gobs(thats a workd I haven't heard in a while) of muscle they can be used for short periods of time.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

how do you learn these lifts if you have never had a coach or anything? can you learn them from books and the internet or do should have to have some background experiance first before you train them on your own?
    i work out 6 days a week rotating between bicep day and chest day.
    if you dont get a pump or DOMS, then your not building muscle
    i regularly do my bicep and wrist curls in the squat rack
    #HatersGonnaHate

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Thanks for the advice!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Oly lifting and training for size are completely different.First of all, Oly lifts take a lot of practice and usually a coach to get everything right.

I agree.

Secondly, you can use a lot more weight with traditional lifts which will translate to faster progression

False. Using "a lot more weight" does not translate to faster progression. Progression is progression; no translation required.

and potentially greater mass.

POTENTIALLY. Take a look at some Olympic lifters and tell me they're small.

Lastly, there are more traditional strength lifts that are easierv to learn, safer to perform, and have similar effects on muscle mass.

Safer to perform? Based on what? Oly lifts are perfectly safe, as long as you know what you're doing, as is the case for pretty much any lift. Also, they may have similar effect on muscle mass, but not on power. Oly lifts are nearly unmatched for power development.

Oly lifts are fantastic if you want to take the time to learn them, and they will certainly add gobs of muscle, but they require more than a few months out of the year.

Yes.
    Keep in mind also that training for Olympic lifting is almost always accompanied by frequent squatting, which does wonders for mass gain.

But I agree that coaching is of UTMOST importance.