MEMBER LOGIN

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Just joined M&S scohen95's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2011
    • Posts
      32
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      New York
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      168
    • Rep Power
      5

    Default Critique my MMA Workout?

    ok, so i've recently changed my workout around. I wanted to stay strong, kinda big, but improve my MMA abilities. So here's my workout:

    Monday: Lifting
    - Flat Benchpress (12 10 8 6) on the first rep for each set, hold half way for 15 seconds.
    - Alternating Incline DB press (12 10 8 6)
    - Weighted Pullups (10x10)
    - Deadlifts (12 10 8 6)
    - Clean and Press (3x5)
    - One Arm DB Snatch (3x5)
    - Standing Military Press (10 8 6)
    - Lateral Raises (3x10)
    - DB Shrugs (2x50)
    - Weighted Chin Ups (10x10)
    - Barbell Curls (2 4 6 8 10)
    - Weighted Dips (15x20)
    - Tricep extentions (10 8 6)
    - Squat Jumps (10x10)
    - Walking Lunges 10x10)
    - Single Leg Squats (12 10 8 6)

    Tuesday: Abs and Cardio
    - Russian Twists (3x10)
    - Crunches (5x25)
    - Planks (2 sets)
    - Hanging Leg Raises (3x10)
    - Side Crunches (3x10 each)
    - Lying Leg Raises (3x10)
    - Cardio Run (timed run for exactly one straight hour)
    - Sprints (6 sets)

    Wednesday: Crossfit Workout

    Thrusday: Lifting
    - Flat Benchpress (12 10 8 6)
    - Weighted Pullups (10x10)
    - Deadlifts (12 10 8 6)
    - Clean and press (3x5)
    - Lateral Raises (3x10)
    - Weighted Chin Ups (10x10)
    - Weighted Dips (15x20)
    - Squat Jumps (10x10)
    - Walking Lunges (10x10)
    - Single Leg Squats (12 10 8 6)

    Friday: Abs and Cardio

    Saturday: Crossfit and Cardio

    Sunday: Rest or optional Crossfit/Cardio

    Thats my schedule. However, the reason that i dont have any details for the days that i do Crossfit is that i dont know good crossfit exercises that will benefit me with Mixed Martial Arts.
    Can anyone please reccomend me some Crossfit Exercises? They HAVE to be intense and kick my ass!
    Just some info, i do Shorin Ryu Karate 4 days a week, and Boxing and Judo 6 nights a week. I'm currently training to fight in the octagon.

  2. #2
    Regular Poster GreekStrong's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Apr 2011
    • Posts
      484
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Gilbert,AZ
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      3,048,867
    • Rep Power
      30,494

    Default

    no jiu-jitsu? seems fundamental if your truly wanting to succeed in the sport but to your work out. Your lifting looks madly insane...so let me get this right you do 200 reps of weighted pull ups and weighted dips?? as well as with everything else? Uh...As far as cross fit goes its usually just olympic lifts performed in a fast, sloppy fashion tied in with either running and/or body weight exercises such as pull ups or burpees so I guess you could use your imagination or go to their site and follow their exact routines. Something that people maybe havnt fully discovered or realize is that if your training for mma, something that will help directly with your game would be gymastics such as ring training. It makes you be able to grip things like a monkey and also gives you monkey strength/balance that would help more realistically than anything else I could think of as far as strength is concerned. A wrestling workout would be ideal too and you can look into what universities are having the guys do. Traditional bodybuilding or more appropriate, strength training, gets you strong but hardly uses any of the same muscle memory fibers that are going to triggered when in an all out fight so its smarter to gear your strength training towards that and of course technique training on top of it. my 2 cents
    Last edited by GreekStrong; 10-15-2011 at 10:58 PM.

  3. #3
    Just joined M&S scohen95's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2011
    • Posts
      32
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      New York
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      168
    • Rep Power
      5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreekStrong View Post
    no jiu-jitsu? seems fundamental if your truly wanting to succeed in the sport but to your work out. Your lifting looks madly insane...so let me get this right you do 200 reps of weighted pull ups and weighted dips?? as well as with everything else? Uh...As far as cross fit goes its usually just olympic lifts performed in a fast, sloppy fashion tied in with either running and/or body weight exercises such as pull ups or burpees so I guess you could use your imagination or go to their site and follow their exact routines. Something that people maybe havnt fully discovered or realize is that if your training for mma, something that will help directly with your game would be gymastics such as ring training. It makes you be able to grip things like a monkey and also gives you monkey strength/balance that would help more realistically than anything else I could think of as far as strength is concerned. A wrestling workout would be ideal too and you can look into what universities are having the guys do. Traditional bodybuilding or more appropriate, strength training, gets you strong but hardly uses any of the same muscle memory fibers that are going to triggered when in an all out fight so its smarter to gear your strength training towards that and of course technique training on top of it. my 2 cents
    Thanks, i actually never realized of few of those things out. and actually, i spent most of my career training in Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I switched to Karate, Boxing and Judo because i moved to New York, but in my area, there arent any GOOD bjj places. And i chose these three martial arts because of the instructors, Jerry Figgiani and Tony Aloe, two VERY experienced martial artists. And i'm very confident that they are fantastic since i trained with Matee Jedeepitak in Muay Thai and Don Richards in bjj. So trust me, i'd be taking bjj if there were atleast any good instructors around.

  4. #4
    Just joined M&S thesandman's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2011
    • Posts
      44
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      United States
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      866
    • Rep Power
      12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scohen95 View Post
    Thanks, i actually never realized of few of those things out. and actually, i spent most of my career training in Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I switched to Karate, Boxing and Judo because i moved to New York, but in my area, there arent any GOOD bjj places. And i chose these three martial arts because of the instructors, Jerry Figgiani and Tony Aloe, two VERY experienced martial artists. And i'm very confident that they are fantastic since i trained with Matee Jedeepitak in Muay Thai and Don Richards in bjj. So trust me, i'd be taking bjj if there were atleast any good instructors around.

    Stick with judo my friend. IT will benefit far greater than all that exhausting and violent BJJ people seem to cling too so much.
    Though I walk through the Valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest, meanest, most vicious and bloodthirsty motherfu**er in that God damn valley! -The Sandman

  5. #5
    Onwards and upwards zstadt's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2009
    • Posts
      4,188
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Greater Boston
    • Training Log
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      123,191,589
    • Rep Power
      1,231,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
    Stick with judo my friend. IT will benefit far greater than all that exhausting and violent BJJ people seem to cling too so much.
    Since when is jiu jitsu violent?


    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/37084-zstadt-s-log

  6. #6
    Just joined M&S CavemanCop's Avatar
    • Join Date
      May 2011
    • Posts
      18
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      St. Louis MO
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    That looks like a ton of volume in the weight room, which is great if you can recover from all that lifting, but with six days of intense training I’m a little skeptical since you will only get bigger/stronger with adequate rest and recovery. I agree with sandman as long you focus a lot of on waza you should have your ground/grappling covered.

  7. #7
    Onwards and upwards zstadt's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2009
    • Posts
      4,188
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Greater Boston
    • Training Log
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      123,191,589
    • Rep Power
      1,231,941

    Default

    OP- If you're serious about strength training (NOT the same as bodybuilding) and MMA, first of all, read this article:
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...rrior_training

    Then this one:
    http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...htraining.html

    Your lifting routine right now (especially Monday, and your "Crossfit" days) is not conducive to a.) recovery or b.) MMA training. What is your base strength like? What are your (honest) numbers in the squat? Deadlift? Overhead press? Bench press?

    Knowing where you stand as far as basic strength standards will help us to help you.

    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/37084-zstadt-s-log

  8. #8
    Just joined M&S thesandman's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2011
    • Posts
      44
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      United States
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      866
    • Rep Power
      12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zstadt View Post
    Since when is jiu jitsu violent?

    I'm talking about BJJ; I've seen those people use so much strength; our motto in my japanese ju-jitsu/judo/MMA dojo is minimal effort and maximum efficiency; too many times have I seen bjj get gassed because they're trying to muscle everything on the mats...
    Though I walk through the Valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest, meanest, most vicious and bloodthirsty motherfu**er in that God damn valley! -The Sandman

  9. #9
    Just joined M&S scohen95's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2011
    • Posts
      32
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      New York
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      168
    • Rep Power
      5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
    I'm talking about BJJ; I've seen those people use so much strength; our motto in my japanese ju-jitsu/judo/MMA dojo is minimal effort and maximum efficiency; too many times have I seen bjj get gassed because they're trying to muscle everything on the mats...
    i love judo, its so much fun. and however your entitled to your opinion, we all have ours. i strongly think that the way your looking at the BJJ guys is just your own point of view. i know too many BJJ guys that can last the entire class without getting out of breath, but still getting a good workout and tossing me around the mats the entire time. i'm obviously not the best bjj practitioner, nor well known by anyone. but i know for a fact that i have enough skill and enough strength to be a hard opponent against a bunch of judo and wrestling guys, but BJJ guys can still toss me around like its nothing. i mean absolutely no disrespect, that is just my own point of view.

  10. #10
    M&S Power User Nicksix's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      1,577
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      South Africa
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      1,378,207
    • Rep Power
      13,795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
    I'm talking about BJJ; I've seen those people use so much strength; our motto in my japanese ju-jitsu/judo/MMA dojo is minimal effort and maximum efficiency; too many times have I seen bjj get gassed because they're trying to muscle everything on the mats...
    If you are watching guys in BJJ try and use strength over technique, then it is NOT BJJ. They are most likely idiots
    Everything wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, Boxing & MMA.
    Full time Super Saiyan.

  11. #11
    Lady Lake CrossFit Owner bbaker352's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Oct 2007
    • Posts
      2,995
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Lady Lake, Florida
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      33,690
    • Rep Power
      358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicksix View Post
    If you are watching guys in BJJ try and use strength over technique, then it is NOT BJJ. They are most likely idiots
    What he said. Ive trained in martial arts since I was 8. Kodokan Judo, USA Jujitsu, Korean Kickboxing, Muy Thai and Sambo, Invited to the junior olympics when I was a kid (so I have a slight idea what Im talking about). IF your powering your way around in either Judo or Jujitsu you have a poor trainer and little understanding of the sport! Its all about using another persons momentum against himself, and capitalizing on his mistakes or opportunities he gives you...not powering your way into a submission... And when the "power" guy grabs ahold of someone who knows what hes doing, he will loose MOST of the time.

    Anywho, Your routine looks to be a little much....and your CNS will eventually crash and make you take a break one way or another. There ya have it...
    Bryan
    "You will learn by the numbers. I will teach you!"

  12. #12
    Coming Up The Ranks raroed's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Nov 2011
    • Posts
      112
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Richmond, Va
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      2,312
    • Rep Power
      26

    Default

    try doing turkish get ups if you dont know what im talking about you can look it up on youtube or something but i agree with the guy above you are slated to take a break at some point in time with your current workout
    there are no limits only plateaus

  13. #13
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Join Date
      Mar 2012
    • Posts
      98
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      California
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      4,944
    • Rep Power
      52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thesandman View Post
    Stick with judo my friend. IT will benefit far greater than all that exhausting and violent BJJ people seem to cling too so much.
    Exhausting and violent are exactly the opposite of what BJJ is. One of the founding principles of BJJ is actually Energy Efficiency. And it's all technique, not violence. I don't know what you think BJJ is but you might need to research it because you are WAAAAY off in your description of it.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Critique my Workout please.
    By Vladi in forum Muscle Building Workouts & Training
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 04:32 AM
  2. Critique my workout
    By sacx in forum Critique My Workout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 08:30 PM
  3. Critique my workout please
    By ianardo in forum Critique My Workout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 05:27 AM
  4. Critique my workout please
    By ianardo in forum Critique My Workout
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 08:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Follow M&S
Contact Us

Muscle & Strength, LLC
1118 First Street South
Columbia, SC 29209
PH: 1-800-537-9910
Email: click here

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
© Copyright 2013, Muscle & Strength LLC. Images copyright of their respective owners. Contact Us | Affiliate Program | Terms of Use