Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default male model workout

Hey guys,

I realized that most male (fashion) models have good lats and abs. Most dont even have huge arm/shoulder muscles at all.
    I was wondering whether the following routine will lead to a model look:

mon, wed, fri, sun: 200 push ups broken into sets (to get a toned look of the arms as well as the chest), 300 crunches (including different type of crunches & sit ups). Maybe 3x15 or 3x20 sets of dumbbell curls for the biceps and lateral raises for the shoulders, with low weights (~15 lbs) to make the arms toned out more.. i'll also have some lat exercises as well (3x15 of light weights)

tue,thur, sat: 30-45 min cardio..mostly swimming, if not, running.

Also, I'll appreciate if you guys can recommend me a diet program since I'm kind of confused with where I'm heading. Am I supposed to take protein and carbs and eliminate fats?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Calcium; 10-09-2011 at 07:03 PM.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Oh boy... I'll let someone else handle this one.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/37084-zstadt-s-log

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by zstadt View Post
    Oh boy... I'll let someone else handle this one.
    Im sorry if this question has been asked a million times before. I've been working out for the past 2 months but instead of lifting weights randomly, I just wanted to get a clear program first and stick to it.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Calcium View Post
    Im sorry if this question has been asked a million times before. I've been working out for the past 2 months but instead of lifting weights randomly, I just wanted to get a clear program first and stick to it.
    No, that's not it... where do I start?

The program you've outlined would be great for making zero progress. I can't see that plan building you any muscle at all. There's a slight chance you'd be better at doing push-ups, there's a decent chance you'd hurt your spine doing so many crunches, and there's a 100% chance your legs will still look like popsicle sticks.

Getting "toned" is what moms in their 30s want to do. Farting around with "low" or "light" weights on any exercise will do nothing for you.

So, here's what I would do:

Weights: heavy, cover ALL basic movements (push, pull, hinge, squat, maybe loaded carries)

"Cardio": sure, but if you do, make it intervals

Diet: Eat. Food. Make sure you're getting a lot of protein, and good amount of dietary fat, and enough carbs to support your training.

Also, read anything and everything by Dan John.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/37084-zstadt-s-log

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Hey guys,

I realized that most male (fashion) models have good lats and abs. Most dont even have huge arm/shoulder muscles at all.

mon, wed, fri, sun: 200 push ups broken into sets (to get a toned look of the arms as well as the chest), 300 crunches (including different type of crunches & sit ups). Maybe 3x15 or 3x20 sets of dumbbell curls for the biceps and lateral raises for the shoulders, with low weights (~15 lbs) to make the arms toned out more.. i'll also have some lat exercises as well (3x15 of light weights)

Also, I'll appreciate if you guys can recommend me a diet program since I'm kind of confused with where I'm heading. Am I supposed to take protein and carbs and eliminate fats?

Thanks.
    yea man its all about kickbacks and side crunches. Do 300 reps of each every night and make sure to drink muscle milk! maybe even invest in cell tech if your advancing quickly

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Hey guys,

Thanks.
    1. Perhaps the observation is wrong?
    If you are talking about ramp walking waifs - they just have washboard abs, and height.

2. Shoulder, chest and lats work around the shoulder joint. Its very hard to build one but not the other. (Unless you just cut fat, and genetically you have larger lats than chest or shoulders). And arms are used in all the shoulder movements - so they naturally cannot be left "thin" while the rest of musles grow.

3. What you should ask is how to get that lean athletic look.
    The answer to that is not very simple. If you are genetically blessed with good musculature - all you would require is to get shredded = cut down the flab.
    But if you are not - it means you are not carrying great amount on muscles naturally. Which means you WILL have to undergo muscle building LIKE a bodybuilder for some amount of time - say 1-2 years at least, till you put on some muscles.
    Then get shredded.

So forget about all this "300 styled workouts". They will work towards the look only if you have a good underlying musculature.

4. So do you want to put on muscles (and then get cut) or just want to reduce fat?

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

^^^ above post is quite good. Once you assess what you have naturally it will give you direction. To me the look you're after is simply what a standard person with a fast metabolism that's never been in the weight room looks like - if you are not holding on to much fat you'll probs find this look relatively easy to pull off.
    ON THE ROAD TO 230LB! Currently 222

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

OP said fashion models, so I'd agree with ssslayer's first point.

Fitness models on the other hand are pretty big dudes (with no legs). They'd probably be among the bigger guys at most commercial gyms. Those guys usually diet down to around 190ish.

Team Bear
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by GreekStrong View Post
    yea man its all about kickbacks and side crunches. Do 300 reps of each every night and make sure to drink muscle milk! maybe even invest in cell tech if your advancing quickly
    If you are being serious, this is horrible advice. If you are being sarcastic and joking, it is likely lost on the OP.

Hey guys,

Thanks.
    SSlayer made some good points. What you are outlining as a routine is not balanced. An unbalanced routine will lead to physique imbalances and likely injuries.

Male runway models aren't really big or cut. Most have the proportional bodies of adolescent boys and girls. Tyson Beckford being an exception.

If you are already muscular, you could just drop fat to reveal your abs.

If you are now thin, you will need to train hard (your entire body) with weights and eat a ton of food to get bigger. Then, you can drop fat to reveal your abs.

Quote Originally Posted by dday39 View Post
    OP said fashion models, so I'd agree with ssslayer's first point.

Fitness models on the other hand are pretty big dudes (with no legs). They'd probably be among the bigger guys at most commercial gyms. Those guys usually diet down to around 190ish.
    Agreed. See: Greg Plitt
    "Look son, there comes a time in every man's life when he has to make a decision. Do you want to be big, powerful, jacked, yoked-up, have women everywhere want you and men fear you . . . or do you want to do CrossFit?"

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I interview quite a few male fitness models for M&S and they are generally just a big as many pro natural bodybuilders, and work just as hard.

They diet in a bodybuilding-style manner. They only difference for them is that they have to stay closer to peak weight year around, so it takes even more dedication.

Their physiques required hard work and years of dedication. Check out some of these interviews to see how it's done:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...nterviews.html
    Last edited by Steve; 10-10-2011 at 04:30 PM.
    Big & Strong = Heavy Compounds + Progression + Food

Follow M&S: Facebook Twitter

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Hey guys,

Thanks.
    Why not just do the Abercrombie routine?

http://www.abercrombieworkout.com/
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ssslayer View Post
    1. Perhaps the observation is wrong?
    If you are talking about ramp walking waifs - they just have washboard abs, and height.

2. Shoulder, chest and lats work around the shoulder joint. Its very hard to build one but not the other. (Unless you just cut fat, and genetically you have larger lats than chest or shoulders). And arms are used in all the shoulder movements - so they naturally cannot be left "thin" while the rest of musles grow.

3. What you should ask is how to get that lean athletic look.
    The answer to that is not very simple. If you are genetically blessed with good musculature - all you would require is to get shredded = cut down the flab.
    But if you are not - it means you are not carrying great amount on muscles naturally. Which means you WILL have to undergo muscle building LIKE a bodybuilder for some amount of time - say 1-2 years at least, till you put on some muscles.
    Then get shredded.

So forget about all this "300 styled workouts". They will work towards the look only if you have a good underlying musculature.

4. So do you want to put on muscles (and then get cut) or just want to reduce fat?

I believe I need to gain muscle first since my arms are skinny (been playing soccer all my life with no focus on the upper body at all). I'm 6'2 and weigh 192. I tend to lose weight fast, so that's really not my priority at the moment.

I did check out the abercrombie workout before but kind of ignored it since it looked no different from a bodybuilder workout (because I always thought a model workout is different from a bodybuilder). Should I go with their workout and see how things progress? (Their program is about 5-6 months.)

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

I did check out the abercrombie workout before but kind of ignored it since it looked no different from a bodybuilder workout (because I always thought a model workout is different from a bodybuilder). Should I go with their workout and see how things progress? (Their program is about 5-6 months.)
    It can't hurt, if that's the look you're after and they have the whole plan laid out for you.

It surprised me when I saw it as well but it obviously works and they take you through the stages instructing you on how much cardio and what sort of cardio at each point they expect you to do. They also have supplement and nutritional info to be used in conjunction with each stage etc.

It's the whole package for what you're after; follow it, log it and take pics and see where it leads. I realise it looks like a BB workout which it is but it's also progressive towards the goals in mind; many workouts look like BB workouts but have subtleties within them that makes them more one or another style sport specific routine. If you were to follow a routine from this site, you'd just end up wondering what changes to make at the 3 month point etc, whereas the Abercrombie routine has everything you need for the next 6 months or so.

See where it takes you, it can't hurt; I'm sure people on the forum would like to know how well it works.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    It can't hurt, if that's the look you're after and they have the whole plan laid out for you.

It surprised me when I saw it as well but it obviously works and they take you through the stages instructing you on how much cardio and what sort of cardio at each point they expect you to do. They also have supplement and nutritional info to be used in conjunction with each stage etc.

It's the whole package for what you're after; follow it, log it and take pics and see where it leads. I realise it looks like a BB workout which it is but it's also progressive towards the goals in mind; many workouts look like BB workouts but have subtleties within them that makes them more one or another style sport specific routine. If you were to follow a routine from this site, you'd just end up wondering what changes to make at the 3 month point etc, whereas the Abercrombie routine has everything you need for the next 6 months or so.

See where it takes you, it can't hurt; I'm sure people on the forum would like to know how well it works.
    Thanks for your comment. And I'll give it a try for 1-2 months; at least its better than having a random workout schedule.
    By the way, is it ok if I don't use any supplements at all? I guess I'm more like a traditional style.. but just wondering if I can still get the results by eating right, and not taking any supplements.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

supplements are to supplement the diet. if you're not hitting your macros with food, then you can use supplements. a decent multivitamin should be in your arsenal though

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

I believe I need to gain muscle first since my arms are skinny (been playing soccer all my life with no focus on the upper body at all). I'm 6'2 and weigh 192. I tend to lose weight fast, so that's really not my priority at the moment.

See.
    Everyone needs to put on some muscles first.

As long as the program talks about trying to increase load or reps (or both!) every workout (or perhaps every 3rd workout, I hope you get the drift) - it will build muscles.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ssslayer View Post
    See.
    Everyone needs to put on some muscles first.

As long as the program talks about trying to increase load or reps (or both!) every workout (or perhaps every 3rd workout, I hope you get the drift) - it will build muscles.
    Yeah I see it now.

This may seem like a lazy question but is there a type of exercise I can use to do sets that can replace the bench press exercise? I see people that raise dumbbells the same way as in bench press. Does that work the same muscles?

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Yeah I see it now.

This may seem like a lazy question but is there a type of exercise I can use to do sets that can replace the bench press exercise? I see people that raise dumbbells the same way as in bench press. Does that work the same muscles?
    Are you talking about a dumbell bench press?
    If so, it will be targetting the same muscle groups.
    Dumbell bench presses are an excellent chest building exercise, much like the barbell bench press - however generally more challenging as each arm will be dealing with an equal load.

There is no real substitute for the bench press, other than pressing movements ( dips included ) there are then flye movements, which are no-where near as effective as pressing movements are for building muscle and strength.
    Consistency is the key

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Yeah I see it now.

If you want to build muscle there is no other way than heavy bench and overhead press, heavy squats, heavy rows and heavy deadlifts.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Abercrombie Workout is ment to be for fitness models. But its just a normal split tbh.
    I reckon u could easily get that look with reeves classic ( which i love atm). Just make sure u bulk then cut and dont let urself get fat, dont overbuild ur legs and abs , that makes people look too big and ugly.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by KiZaN View Post
    Abercrombie Workout is ment to be for fitness models. But its just a normal split tbh.
    I reckon u could easily get that look with reeves classic ( which i love atm). Just make sure u bulk then cut and dont let urself get fat, dont overbuild ur legs and abs , that makes people look too big and ugly.
    I was just pulling your ham the first post but agree with this. The reeves program is a good way to go if your looking to stay natural and grow slowly but consistently, it also can get you shredded up if your cals arnt too much but a "bulking" phase first might be the wisest thing to do then cut the cals to shred up and make things more defined in the future or for your photo shoot! hehe