• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by CityMiller View Post
    ^^^^^^^

You've broken the space time continuum.
    Woops! Going to go ahead and go with the deadlift for the sake of giving my leg a couple more days of rest.

And I plan to power clean before I deadlift and use it as my warmup. Because of that, I don't think I'll rep out on the last set of 5/3/1 for power cleans.

Lunch time
    "The vision of a champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion when no one else is watching."

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by PHafen View Post
    Woops! Going to go ahead and go with the deadlift for the sake of giving my leg a couple more days of rest.

And I plan to power clean before I deadlift and use it as my warmup. Because of that, I don't think I'll rep out on the last set of 5/3/1 for power cleans.

Lunch time
    First time visit here, but I thought I'd offer some food for thought.

I'm currently running 5/3/1 as well, with Power Cleans, but I've organized is like so:
    Monday - Squat/Bench; Wednesday - Power Clean (/ Snatch patterning); Friday - Deadlift/Press

Each day has 2 assistance lifts; Monday and Friday each have one core lift too. It seems to work out very well for me.

Keep it up!

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/37084-zstadt-s-log

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Thanks alot, zstadt. If I end up having to switch to a 3 days a week setup, I'll keep that in mind!

On the Power clean days, are you repping out until failure or until your form starts to falter? And what assistance exercises are you using?

Any chance you could just post an example? I'm curious as to how you're patterning the Power clean/snatch day.
    "The vision of a champion is someone who is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion when no one else is watching."

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Thanks alot, zstadt. If I end up having to switch to a 3 days a week setup, I'll keep that in mind!

On the Power clean days, are you repping out until failure or until your form starts to falter? And what assistance exercises are you using?

Any chance you could just post an example? I'm curious as to how you're patterning the Power clean/snatch day.
    Sure thing.

On Wednesdays, my session looks something like this:

Warm-up: foam rolling, shoulder prehab, rope skipping 3 x 2 min rounds (30 sec rest)

Power cleans, warm-ups then 5/3/1 rep scheme (repping until form degrades on last set)

Snatch Grip Deadlift, 3 x 5

Whip Snatch / Overhead Squat, 3 x 5

It's pretty basic, but I'm planning on building from here over the next few cycles. Feel free to check out my log if you want to: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/for...tadts-log.html

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/37084-zstadt-s-log

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Thanks alot. I'll for sure take a look at your log.
    What are the whip snatches?

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Thanks alot. I'll for sure take a look at your log.
    What are the whip snatches?
    Basically the same as a Hang Clean - except you use the snatch grip and end in the snatch end form (bar overhead). Same dynamic mechanics.

I ran a similar 531 to zstadt over the summer but had full cleans on their own day (I've mention this to you before )

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

You certainly did, City. If I do end up having a day where the Power Clean is my big lift for the day, I think I'd like to focus more on Olympic style lifts for the assistance exercises that day as well. I was told by one of our senior players that the Clean and Press is something that transfers well into rugby. Any suggestions about how I could add in the Olympic lifts to my current program?

As it is now, I'm just Power Cleaning before Deadlifts.
    Or Power cleaning alone the weeks where I have to cut down the workouts to 3 days.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

You certainly did, City. If I do end up having a day where the Power Clean is my big lift for the day, I think I'd like to focus more on Olympic style lifts for the assistance exercises that day as well. I was told by one of our senior players that the Clean and Press is something that transfers well into rugby. Any suggestions about how I could add in the Olympic lifts to my current program?

As it is now, I'm just Power Cleaning before Deadlifts.
    Or Power cleaning alone the weeks where I have to cut down the workouts to 3 days.
    If you want to add in some oly lifts, I would suggest running a 3 day/week routine, and designating one day for the clean and press/jerk.

So for example:
    Bench/Squat
    Clean
    Deadlift/Press

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

I'll keep that in mind, City. I'll probably end up trying to switch to a 3 day routine in the next couple of weeks. As much as I enjoy being in the gym 4 days a week, I think It's going to leave me absolutely drained doing it along with rugby. But I hope if and when I do switch, you guys will be able to help me set up the clean day.

Anyway, here's today's lifts. This morning was more or less a train wreck. Didn't get much sleep last night (Guys in the dorm next door were having band practice...with an Accordion and a Ukulele). Buy the end of my 8 am class I had a nice headache raging to go along with being tired. Made it into the gym around 915.

Power Cleans:
    95 x 5
    105 x 5
    120 x 10
    All I can say is wow. I haven't done these in some time and weights I remember being easy felt heavy.

Deadlift:
    170 x 5
    200 x 5
    225 x 8
    Same as the power cleans. First time doing these in months. Everything felt heavy.

Chin ups:
    bw x 5
    bw x 4
    bw x 3
    bw x 2
    As a personal challenge, I decided I wanted to work on chin ups. I've always been terrible at them and I figure I'll never get much better at them if I don't work on it. So the goal is to be able to complete 4 sets of 8 with just my bodyweight for the time being. I'll set new goals once I reach that one. Also, on the last rep I did a negative and slowly lowered myself back down.

DB Row
    55 x 10
    55 x 10
    55 x 9

Was supposed to finish 4 sets on the DB row and then move onto either GHR or SLDL and abs. I felt completely drained by the 3rd set of DB rows, though, and decided it was best to listen to my body, especially with practice coming up tonight.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Happy to say I made it through practice without a problem last night. Taking 6 days off really helped. My leg is feeling a little tight this morning, but otherwise I'm fine.
    Got some praise from the coaches last night, which was nice. Was told I have good hands (Surprising to me. I was a defensive lineman when I played football in high school. I hardly ever touched the ball).

Also managed to come home with a nice big bruise on my temple and a swollen and bruised big toe.

Taking today off from everything. Going to lay around my dorm and do some homework. Back to the gym tomorrow. Debating on whether or not I want to Squat tomorrow or Friday with our game being on Saturday.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

I don't think I have ever been this tired in a week. Between lifting, rugby, schoolwork, and a girlfriend, I'm exhausted. Going to give it another week before I decided whether or not 3 days a week would be the best option.

Military Press
    70 x 5
    80 x 5
    90 x 10 PR

Military Press
    55 x 10
    55 x 10
    55 x 10
    55 x 10

Barbell Shrugs
    135 x 10
    145 x 10
    145 x 10
    145 x 10

DB Side Lat Raise
    15 x 10
    15 x 10
    20 x 10
    20 x 10

DB Curls:
    Focused on keeping my elbows at my side and making sure my biceps were doing all the work.
    20 x 10
    20 x 10
    20 x 10
    20 x 10

Ab Crunch Machine:
    100 x 20
    125 x 10
    125 x 10

I typically get some ab work done at rugby, but wanted to make sure I do at least a little bit in the gym.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Will not be doing a leg day tomorrow. Ran full game situation tonight at practice in preparation for Friday. I spent probably 80% of the two hour practice with my heart rate between 75-90%. Constant sprinting across the field. Having not done any real leg work for a few weeks now because of the injury, I'm expecting my legs to be dead. Will Switch the order of the workouts and start squatting on Monday's instead.

Kent State also cancelled on us. We will now be playing Louisville's men's team. This is not the college team. These are college graduates, and players from other countries. We will, however, be playing their B side, which to my understanding are basically the backups. Should hopefully be a close game and at least a learning experience.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Lesson on the week: Always stretch before running.

Went out to what was supposed to be a sort of 2 hand touch rugby practice friday night. Went chasing after the ball, hamstring popped, I fell to the ground. Pulled my hamstring and had to miss the game Saturday. Not the happiest person in the world right now. Icing it like crazy and stretching in hopes that I can play next Saturday. At this point, if I'm not careful, I won't be playing until we move to Division 1 in the spring. It's driving me crazy. 3 years of football and not a single leg injury. 2-3 months of rugby and I've pulled a hamstring and torn muscle fibers in my Quad. Oh well. Back to the gym tomorrow or Tuesday for Chest day.

Sorry to hear about the injury bro. I wish you the speediest of recoveries.
    Check out my article page!
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/authors/nick-ludlow

"Like" my Facebook author page for future article updates
    https://www.facebook.com/nickludlow91

Follow my lifting log!
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/76483-LD-s-Journey-to-Beastdom

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

I appreciate it. I suppose it's what I get for rushing back from one leg injury. If I had given my legs another week off to get back to normal, I would probably be fine. At least I don't think I pulled it too bad. Not hurting too bad, and I'm slowly regaining my flexibility in my hamstring. Can almost touch my toes again.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Sorry to hear about the hammy man after your recoup from the quad.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Thanks, City. I guess there's no real sense in being down about it. At least this time around I was smart enough to not try and play and injure it further. If it keeps feeling the way it does, I may be able to be back at practice on Thursday, although I would more than likely miss out on running sprints. I'm going to have to work hard on my conditioning over the winter, though. This part of the season is all about getting stamina and condition better and I keep missing out on the running.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Bench day today. Also tried to stretch out the pulled hamstring a little bit. Not hurting too bad.

Bench
    5 x 80
    5 x 10
    3 x 120
    Working Sets
    3 x 140
    3 x 160
    8 x 180

DB Bench
    10 x 55
    10 x 55
    10 x 55
    6 x 55

Dips
    8 x bw
    7 x bw
    8 x bw
    7 x bw

DB Flys
    12 x 25
    12 x 25
    12 x 25
    12 x 25

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Practice tonight was cancelled due to a storm. Game this weekend against the University of Cincinnati was also changed to an away game. We will be playing in Nippert Stadium on the football field. Kind of excited since I grew up just outside of Cincinnati and had originally planned on attending college there.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Was a day behind on my lifts this week so I had to make a couple of changes. Went ahead and Squatted today to try and get back on track. More on that later. Then I went ahead with my shoulder day like I normally would. My hamstring still isn't feeling great, so I'm going to probably put off Deadlifts until Sunday.

Squat (First time Squatting in almost 2-3 months)
    5 x 85
    5 x 105
    3 x 135
    Working Sets
    3 x 150
    3 x 170
    7 x 195 (Felt like I could have hit 10 reps at the very least. Coming up on rep 7, I felt a sharp pain in my hamstring and decided not to push it)

Military Press
    3 x 80
    3 x 90
    9 x 100

DB Press (1 arm at a time)
    10 x 25
    10 x 30
    10 x 30
    10 x 35

BB Shrugs
    10 x 155
    10 x 175
    10 x 175
    10 x 175 (Last two reps were cheated on a bit)

Was running short on time, Had to cut out 1 set for the Lat raises and 2 sets for the DB Curls

DB Lat Raise
    10 x 20
    10 x 20
    10 x 20

DB Curls
    10 x 25
    10 x 25

Overall, not a great workout today. Woke up late and didn't have time to eat before class which means I didn't eat before I hit the gym. The 40 degree weather with pouring rain had my shoulders aching. Just wasn't feeling so good today. Was very happy to start squatting again, finally. Leg is probably at 75-85% right now. Ran at practice; Wasn't a pretty sight, to say the least. Resting tomorrow. Going to ice my leg and try to relax it to make sure I can at least get some playing time Saturday at UC.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Nice squats, what are you trying to perform better at exactly?
    Squat 2.1x BW Squat, 1.75xBW Bench Press, 2.5xBW Deadlift (425/350/500)
    205 lbs @7%

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Thanks. I'm not proud of the squats, myself. I know what I've squatted before. But it's a starting point, so I'll live with it. And I'm trying to get into better shape for rugby. Trying to get my legs to the point they were at when I played football, and get my other lifts up as well.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Weight is up to about 182. I believe I said I weighed 172 at the start of this log. Body fat is sitting right around 15%. Not terrible, I can live with it. Still hoping to hit 190 before I cut anything, but we'll see.

Woke up Saturday morning and drove to UC for the game. Was expecting to get some playing time in the second half since I haven't been able to play in a game yet this season. Instead I ended up starting the game at Wing (Complete opposite of the position I had been learning to play) and played the first 40 minutes.

That plus 9 hours of standing at work right after the game has left my hamstring swollen and sore. Going to be icing it all this week and hope I play in our next game this Saturday. It's looking like I'll have to drop Deadlifts and possibly squats for this cycle. I really hate neglecting my legs and back, but until I can get my leg back to 100%, I don't feel like it's a good idea. The pulled hamstring is really affecting my running and hurting my performance in the gym, at practice, and at games.

Going to bench tomorrow, and go ahead and add in the back accessory exercises since I won't be deadlifting. Military Press on Thursday morning and I might hit my reps on Squat if my hamstring is feeling up for it, but I doubt I'll go for the extra reps.

-Patrick

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Not a good day in the gym. Went to bed with a migraine last night and woke up with an even worse one this morning.

Bench
    5 x 80
    5 x 100
    3 x 120
    Working Sets
    5 x 150
    3 x 170
    5 x 190

DB Bench
    55 x 10
    55 x 10
    55 x 10
    55 x 10
    That's 4 more reps than last week

At that point, my migraine was even worse. Didn't help that the bench was directly under a light. Since I got the 5/3/1 set done I decided to head back to my dorm and attempt to sleep off the migraine. Hamstring is tighter than it has been today, doubt I'll do much at practice other than stretch. The migraine is limiting my physical activity anyway. If the migraine persists, I'll be seeing a doctor tomorrow. My family gets migraines to a bad enough extent that sometimes prescription medicine is the only way to get rid of them. May also have my leg checked out just to be safe.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Nice bench work my friend. Looking strong
    "You will not be impatient; the grind is where character is made. Focus on what you have to do TODAY to make tomorrow better. This is a life long project"
    Jim Wendler.