MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Default Periodization for Football

I started looking into periodization type training and I wanted to know what would be the best for football. I really need a stronger hypertrophy base but do not want to loose strength. Would I benefit more from a linear or concurrent periodization?
    Current Weight:198 lbs
    Goal BF%: 10%
    Starting BF%: 25%
    Current BF%: 14%

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

While undulating periodization is effective, for football (with a relatively long off-season) I prefer a linear periodization.

With an off-season of basically 6-9 months, there's plenty of time to develop in a linear manner.

In season training is different, and that's where I'd prescribe more of an undulating periodization to maintain all of the components trained in the offseason.

Everyone is different, and the exact periodiaztion would change relative to training experience.

With so much time during the off season, I might set up a periodization like this:

General (Anatomical) Adaptation (I was a student of Tudor Bompa)
    Hypertrophy
    Strength
    Power
    Hypertrophy
    Strength
    Power

Lower intensity during the first HSP cycle, higher in the second.

This might even change depending on your position, but it's good general progression to follow.

Fact is, power is the most important component in football.

Yes, size is important, more so depending on the position you play. So is strength, but all the strength in the world won't do you anything on the field without the conversion to power.

I much prefer focusing on one component at a time. The way I see it, in an undulated program, spending equal time on each main component means 33% effectiveness for each. With proper manipulation of training variables, just because you move into a strength phase after hypertrophy doesn't mean you'll lose size. And in the power phase, you are enhancing the strength developed in the phase before, and shouldn't be losing size. If you are, something is wrong with your variables.

That all said, for athletes with a high level of training experience, already at or near their maximal peak, they may benefit more from undulated periodization. There's less need to put a pure focus on a single performance component. Even then, I might spend months 2-4 in a linear periodization, then change months 5-7 undulated.

Again, I like conjugated during the season as a maintenance program, but in the offseason, linear is the way to go.

To back things up, here's links to three different studies comparing undulating to linear periodization:

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Ab...g_Nine.45.aspx
    Conclusion - no significant difference

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Ab...istance.3.aspx
    Conclusion - no significant difference and most specific to your question because the study was on Division III football players.

http://www.strivealive.com/access/in...20strength.pdf
    Conclusion - Greater strength increase in undulated periodization. My conclusion - I don't buy it. There were only ten subjects in each group, and in the undulated periodization group, beginning strength was significantly lower. Meaning there was a greater potential for gains. I'd like to see this study done again with closer beginning strength values.
    Last edited by SportStrengthC; 10-29-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    Mike Dunk, CSCS, BKin (Sp.)
    *The information I provide in posts is for education purposes only. It is
    not medical advice and is not intended to replace the advice or attention of health-care
    professionals. Consult your physician before beginning or making changes in your diet or
    exercise program, and for diagnosis and treatment of illness and injuries.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Would this apply to endurance sports as well? like rowing?

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I'm training to do football to. Football season starts in Austust. So i have till then to get into shape.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Quick question. What's more important, high leg strength, or a powerful core? And would running be better, or squatting.
    Last edited by Rspmazing; 03-11-2012 at 09:34 PM.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Rspmazing View Post
    Quick question. What's more important, high leg strength, or a powerful core? And would running be better, or squatting.
    They are both important, and depending on the position you want to play would answer question 2. If you wanna play on the line I would squat.
    Purus Labs Representative
    www.thesquatjedi.com
    www.puruslabs.net
    https://www.facebook.com/puruslabs

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log
    • Photos

To run faster you need stronger lower body, an practise your run technique. For example doing only squats wont help you need to do everything for the lower body. Then If you know a friend that is a sprinter, work with them. I have a sprinters coach an I shaved almost.5 seconds off my time with the new stuff I Learned.
    If you are playing Line then more Lower body work and back then anything, with upper body work. Core helps every position out so that should always be included.
    Goal
    Bench: 400
    DL:500
    Squat: 500

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Core strength is number one. That is where you get all of your power from
    MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION - Brand Rep

"Your Home for Affordable, High Quality, Nutritional Supplements"

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by AMuscle1 View Post
    Core strength is number one. That is where you get all of your power from
    to be honest it all depends on the position you play, Abs are not the main source of power, they help for your lifts more than anything. A little background of my self, Still currently playing football in the CJFL(Canadian Junior Football League) I am university bound for football. Every trainer I have worked with(and CIS Coaching), has always told me work on the lower body work out, because it helps with your speed an power. Lets look at each position.
    RB: To a RB what is going to help out more, better looking Abs or Massive powerful legs. I'm sorry to say Lower body take the Win
    QB: To a QB the Arm strength is the most important to him, while also trying to develop his speed(which is lower leg power)
    OL/DL: Lineman all the power comes from the Lowerbody first then the upper body. If you are trying to be a Lineman work 3 day split with 2 day lower 1 day upper. Look at the Lineman(no abs)
    LB/DB/WR: the key here is Vertical which comes from the Lower body. Abs are not the key to their success, even though they look nice not really needed.
    Goal
    Bench: 400
    DL:500
    Squat: 500