Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Protien shakes and liver damage

Hi

I was recently told by a mate that protien shakes can damage your liver. He referenced his cousin who had been drinking shakes for about a decade and whose liver has now packed it in, apparently the dr's said his protein intake had a lot to do with it (I cannot verify this though). What do you guys think? I currently take about 3 protein shakes a day (2 carb mixes and 1 pure whey after training), could this be dangerous?

Regards,
    Cantona

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Protein shakes should only be used to supplement the protein you don't get with whole foods. Its not a replacement. Some protein shakes have heavy metals in them. For this reason I like AAEFX NF-Pro. They test for heavy metals.
    Natural Wheelchair Pro
    Hardware from 15 out of 16 shows.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Ill wager he had a pre-existing liver condition he was unaware of, or something else caused the damage.

Some protein shakes have heavy metals in them. For this reason I like AAEFX NF-Pro. They test for heavy metals
    all protein shakes do, im pretty sure its impossible to remove 100% of it, its just a byproduct of manufacturing.

Any reasonable company keeps those levels extremely low, lower than most whole food sources. AAEFX tests for it, as do most major companies (if not all) as im sure there are standards they have to meet.

Now as a rep I know your trying to plug your companies protein, all well and good. You are however making it sound like its heavy metal free, which i doubt.
    Last edited by madjinx; 03-19-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    Current Supps: Controlled Labs Orange Triad, NOW Foods Ultra Omega-3, EvoMuse: Gut Health

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by cantona View Post
    Hi

I was recently told by a mate that protien shakes can damage your liver. He referenced his cousin who had been drinking shakes for about a decade and whose liver has now packed it in, apparently the dr's said his protein intake had a lot to do with it (I cannot verify this though). What do you guys think? I currently take about 3 protein shakes a day (2 carb mixes and 1 pure whey after training), could this be dangerous?

Regards,
    Cantona
    As long as you stick with good, well known, reputable supplement companies, you should have no problem. Remember if you buy the cheap crap, you may not be getting the product that you think is in the tub. I recommend USN products, havent heard any bad reports of any of their supplements.
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - Gemini Fitness Centre

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

I read an article saying they dont cause liver damage on BB.com, my standpoint is... Protein powders are just a food! Its powdered food! You see Ronnie Coleman, Jay cutler, Kai Greene, Even Arnold back in the day, drinking 3-5 Shakes a day and they dont have any Liver problems, some people already have a pre-existing condition like said above, Its like people saying stuff about fruit making you fat, If you are already eating junk food yet having a banana once a day of course you will get fat! That junk food out-weighs that banana by far. Here this article covers ALL the myths about what high protein does to your body--------http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne38.htm

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Protein shakes don't cause liver damage. Period. There has never been a clinical study to prove it. Does protein tax the liver yes, even a steak does. The difference is some people like to drink massive whey/water shakes that digest really fast. If my Dr told me that I would find a new Dr. I'm sure if the dude was an Alcoholic Whey shakes would aggervate the issue, but IMO protein shakes are never the issue. There is always some underlying health problem there before hand.

This type of thread pops up everywhere all the time, if you are really concerned about this illusive non-issue then do the following. First buy a high quality protein from a reputable brand. Second, if it is not a blend, then put it in milk to make it digest more slowly. Third, minimize your intake of processed protein shakes (we all know food is better anyway.)
    Slow bulking to 190 lbs.
    Current weight 181.2 lbs.

M&S Senior Member proteinshake03's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Agreed with everybody above, protein shakes do not affect the liver and or will not cause liver damage. As stated above look up scientific studies and you will not find anything proving this. Now there are low grade proteins out there that have higher metal levels in them, but do not worry about it!
    AI Sports Nutrition Rep
    Facebook.com/AISportsNutrition
    Twitter.com/TeamAISports

Subscribe to our newsletter at http://forms.aweber.com/form/85/1635053985.htm

Ask me for samples!

Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

This is just one of those things where uneducated mainstream demonizes the weight lifting community. Science is constantly changing their understanding, yet some of the old school doctors and general media refuses to try to keep up. It's very irresponsible.

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by cantona View Post
    Hi

Regards,
    Cantona
    I'm guessing your cousin probably liked to drink as well?? In which case, there is more than one variable at work, unless of course all he ever consumed was protein shakes...no other foods, drinks etc, then and only then could protein shakes be considered the culprit.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

With the rise of gyms and other bodybuilding activities, protein shakes have been used by large number of people. This shake usually consists of some type of fruit, dairy and a protein supplement. To increase their protein intake, fitness enthusiasts often use such shakes for long time. Although it has some positive effects on our body, however, excess of anything can surely put you in trouble as well. The protein shakes cannot only damage your liver but can also affect your kidneys.

Since it has some negative effects on our body, it is essential to limit their intake. If you are still in doubt, then one of the best things you can do is to seek online advice of good medical experts. For that you can take help of Justsavelives.com and make appointment with them without spending money on it.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by finndeleon View Post
    The protein shakes cannot only damage your liver but can also affect your kidneys.
    no

strong bump