Coming Up The Ranks hillsidehibbee's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Squat instead of Leg Press?

Yo peepz,

Currently doing Steve Shaw's 2 year plan, on stage 3, which is an AB split 3 days a week which looks like,

A - Squat, Bench, RDL, BB Rows, BB Curl, Situps.

B - Leg Press, Behind the Neck Press, Leg Curl, Deadlift, Close Grip Bench, Calf Raises.

My question - the leg press machine is ALWAYS busy at my gym so I been doing squats instead. This clearly means that I am squatting every workout day, and doing squats and deadlifts on the same day. Is this cause for concern? Should I swap in another leg exercise for the leg press? Or just squat on....?

My stats, just less than four months training consistently. 76Kgs, 181cm. My squat max isn't that high, only 80 Kg...

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

There are people that do legs at your gym? My gym has the opposite problem I can never get the squat rack but can always get the Hack Squat or Leg Press.

I would think that there would be no harm in swaping the two. My be do front squats instead?
    Slow bulking to 190 lbs.
    Current weight 181.2 lbs.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Photos

I agree, do front squats or hack squats instead

Carl.
    power level 70,880

Follow my log... Carl1174 Search for the Ideal

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by hillsidehibbee View Post
    Yo peepz,

Currently doing Steve Shaw's 2 year plan, on stage 3, which is an AB split 3 days a week which looks like,

A - Squat, Bench, RDL, BB Rows, BB Curl, Situps.

B - Leg Press, Behind the Neck Press, Leg Curl, Deadlift, Close Grip Bench, Calf Raises.

My question - the leg press machine is ALWAYS busy at my gym so I been doing squats instead. This clearly means that I am squatting every workout day, and doing squats and deadlifts on the same day. Is this cause for concern? Should I swap in another leg exercise for the leg press? Or just squat on....?

My stats, just less than four months training consistently. 76Kgs, 181cm. My squat max isn't that high, only 80 Kg...
    Steve can probably give you a more definitive answer, I am not 100% sure of this program, for example I am not familiar with the rep ranges and % of 1RM being used. however I will jump in with my opinion.
    I think you should do the program as written if possible. If not possible, you could sub out the leg press from step ups or walking lunges or something of that nature.
    Personally, I wouldn't squat 3 days a week with an maximal load. In my personal experience this is too much for the lower back.
    This may or may not be the case for you, but for me, this would be my concern and how I would deal with it.
    "One of the worst things a young lifter can do is take advice from other beginners on message boards they usually have all the advice and none of the experience."
    -Jim Wendler

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

I'd strongly suggest either doing it as written, or maybe subbing hack squats. I'd also suggest replacing the BTN Press with Seated Overhead Press. I think it's pretty close to unanimous now that BTN Press should basically never be done by beginner/intermediate weightlifters.

Coming Up The Ranks hillsidehibbee's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

[QUOTE=hpglow;593283]There are people that do legs at your gym? My gym has the opposite problem I can never get the squat rack but can always get the Hack Squat or Leg Press.

I train at a cheap, popular public gym (as opposed to a sweat-and-sawdust style one), so ALL the machines are always busy. It makes me smile seeing people queuing for the treadmills - its sunny outside, go for a run!!! Sometimes I get unlucky and there are some other serious bodybuilders there using the olympic gear, squat rack etc, but, as I train in the morning, they're usually free. However there is almost always a posse of OAPs or ladies chilling around the leg machines, having a chat you know, hence my post.

Thanks for the advice guys, I did post a question on the thread following the workout, but then I noticed Steve hadn't been on it for a while so I thought maybe he's on holiday or something...

Peace

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

leg press and squats are very similar of course however squats are in a more natural, relevant position. squats also work the lower back, and bring in more stabilizer muscles. So really squats IMO are slightly better. However some people have difficulties with form and pain on the neck with squats and leg pressing is far easier to control and thus isolate the desired muscles and enable a more accurate and safe movement. Having weighed up the two in your situation I would jsut swap it for squats (preferably front squat) bkuz either way u will get similar results.
    Lifts: (pre-shoulder surgery 24/7)

180kg/396lb Back Squat
    210kg/462lb Deadlift
    150kg Front Squat
    100kg Push Press
    100kg Clean
    85kg Snatch
    40kg DB Chest Press for 3x12
    600kgx5 45 degree Leg press
    24kg for 10 reps Ultra Strict Seated DB Curls (been working these hard for lols)