MEMBER LOGIN

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post

And yes - "toned" is one of the most annoying words. It seems to mean something different to everyone, like the word "attractive" or "hot."
    "Toned" or "tone" are great words for a gym owner. look at the two statements below, which do you think is better

The scenario is a female just starting training

(1)"As part of your training we will need to lift weights to build muscle" This results in the female running for the door

(2) "As part of your training we will need to lift weights to tone muscle" This results in her paying her gym fees
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - Gemini Fitness Centre

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default only benefit

(2) "As part of your training we will need to lift weights to tone muscle" This results in her paying her gym fees

there's the only benefit to using the word tone as it is really overall just a bad word unless your the owner and every single female still lives in the past and just continues to perpetuate the myths that have been created in the gym.
    Craig Yarnall, CSCS, CPT, WNBF Pro
    "Want a Bigger BODY, shut up and SQUAT, DEEP!!!!"
    "Lifetime Natural Bodybuilder"
    "Train Hard and Stay Natural"
    "See Dick Train. See Dick train chest and arms everyday. Don't be a chicken-legged Dick! Squat!"

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Photos

Choosing weight lifting was one of the smartest decisions of my life. I am new to the forum but have been using this website for over two years. I never knew how weights could change my body and wow did not even realize the results until my favorite pair of jeans felt like putting on a potato sack! I went from a dress size 10-12 to size 2, jeans waist size 32inches to 26 in about a year and a half and dropped 15lbs. Loosing weight was not my goal, just making working out part of my life. Thank you so much for such an awsome website and great work out routines! I always pick up tidbits of info. What seemed like a mountain when I look back now was really just a molehill. To other women, just start slow, make it a lifelong goal to be healthy, stay off the damn scale. I did this at home, 2 kids, spent 10 dollars on a pair of 5lb dumbbells. No excusses, ladies. Just start with something and make it happen.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by farmergrl View Post
    Choosing weight lifting was one of the smartest decisions of my life. I am new to the forum but have been using this website for over two years. I never knew how weights could change my body and wow did not even realize the results until my favorite pair of jeans felt like putting on a potato sack! I went from a dress size 10-12 to size 2, jeans waist size 32inches to 26 in about a year and a half and dropped 15lbs. Loosing weight was not my goal, just making working out part of my life. Thank you so much for such an awsome website and great work out routines! I always pick up tidbits of info. What seemed like a mountain when I look back now was really just a molehill. To other women, just start slow, make it a lifelong goal to be healthy, stay off the damn scale. I did this at home, 2 kids, spent 10 dollars on a pair of 5lb dumbbells. No excusses, ladies. Just start with something and make it happen.
    Hi welcome to the forum

A big congratulations on your results, well done
    Doug

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

I have a question. Every time I started working out I immediately gain about three lbs. If I stop going to the gym, I loose those lbs. Why am I gaining weight? My goal is to loose weight.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Water weight, when you are a beginner you retain water in order to help you recover. There's something else my trainer told me about that too, but I forget.

Also you have to remember that there are 3,500 calories in a pound. Unless you are consuming three times that amount MORE than you burn off, there is no way you ACTUALLY gained 3 pounds.

Don't worry lol its not making you fat to go to the gym. Don't worry about getting bulky either because unless you are on roids and eat tons more than you burn off for a REALLY long time, its not going to happen. That would be water weight and if you are a real beginner, you could be putting on some muscle mass too if you are lifting weights consistently.
    I'm a girl and I lift heavy s hit

Train like a girl!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default goal should be??

To lose bodyfat, not just weight can be from other areas and this weight could be bad if lost like your muscles, this is an area that must remain and be there for good bone health and to stave off osteoporosis.

Weight will not come on that fast in the form of muscle either as muscle does take some time to increase in circumference.

Like i have said in other threads, lifting must be done especially for women with medical condition that can happen if not done the right way.

Water can be pulled in to the muscle or surrounding area due to inflammation of the muscles being worked, and also some times the muscle can start to come on or increase before the fat can be burned off, and nothing creates the greatest metabolism like a little bit of muscle and no you won't get "BIG"!
    "See Dick Train. See Dick train chest and arms everyday. Don't be a chicken-legged Dick! Squat!"

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by azabei View Post
    I have a question. Every time I started working out I immediately gain about three lbs. If I stop going to the gym, I loose those lbs. Why am I gaining weight? My goal is to loose weight.
    As has been said, it's most likely water. If you develop new muscle tissue, you expand your glycogen stores, and glycogen naturally grabs on to water molecules. This can be off-putting, but your body is just adjusting. Make sure you are following a good routine, and then just be consistent and patient.

Also consider-
    (1) Diet: Do you make any changes to your diet when you start working out? For example, in your enthusiasm to lose weight, do you substantially restrict your calorie intake at the same time that you start a workout program? Calorie cutting is key to weight loss, but if you cut too much too suddenly, you are actually programming your metabolism to slow down.

(2) Weigh-Ins: Are you weighing yourself at a consistent time, and not too frequently? Weigh yourself once or at most twice a week at the same time and on the same scale. And don't do it after your workout on the gym scale. (Water retention by muscles post-workout may skew the number.)

Finally, don't put too much emphasis on what the scale says. The scale does not take into account many other barometers of fitness, such as changes in body fat % or increases in muscle strength or cardiovascular endurance.
    Last edited by KittyKat; 01-14-2011 at 12:17 PM.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by azabei View Post
    Hi, welcome to the forum

Forget about losing weight, your goal is to alter body composition and lose "FAT"

As muscle burns calories even when not training a gain of only 5 lbs of muscle will burn off 25 lbs of body fat over a 12 month period
    Doug

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

hi there,
    I'm new to the website and have recently started going to the gym, although not completly unfit i am seriously lacking in strenth. I need to build up strength to pass my military physical fitness test in 4 months. The main problem is that i can not do a single full pressup and to pass the test i need to be able to do 20 in 2 mins. D: Can anyone give me any tips on making a fitness and diet plan that will give me the best chance of achieving my goals?
    many thanks,
    yasmina

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default what are you doing now?

Army want to be- you want to get stronger right?

Well the 1st thing i would suggest is start getting yourself acquainted with weights and not just acquainted but really start to learn how to lift and lift heavy and if you do the army will seem like a breeze if you have that kind of time before going in you could really learn a lot and be ready for anything with a good solid program that involved 3 things:

SQUATS

DEADLIFTS

BENCH PRESSES

And yes there are other things too but really focus here and good things will happen.

Now as for the diet try and get that in order and make sure to eat 5 good solid high protein meals per day where the protein is lean and the carbs are natural.

This will take some time and just giving you real basic things here ok, and if you need more info you can PM me and I will help you out some more.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default just a small rant

Today was short and sweet and to the point with the focus being on the small muscle group, the triceps, again this was very concentrated and I'm sure i will feel sore in the back of my arm tomorrow and the burn was pretty good while doing it, but man i know i burned very few cals but i sure got to hit those tris and again this si done once every three weeks, so it did what it was supposed to, give my triceps some very good work all on it's own but nothing too excessive, with some nice volume as well.

I want to stress this again and again how this is one of the muscles that women love to hit 2-3 times a week thinking that this will get rid of all the fat on the back of their arms, and again this is not the case as this is a muscle that gets rid of very little fat and burns very few cals, so yes work it but don't stress it as this is just a small muscle group that gets very little accomplished without hitting the bigger groups.

Let's see what else will we add here that will do little to burn body fat and/or calories, yep that's right the abs another group that does little to burn cals or make your stomach smaller in the long run, yes you can work them, but they don't need an abs class that lasts 45 min-1 hr or to be done again for 4-5 days a week, and will see little to no progress.

Let's see there one more area that we can again say will be another problem area that will be worked over and over again til the cows come home and will it do anything, for the most probably not, it's the tiny little group we have inside of our thighs called the adductors(inner though muscles) and then we want to also work our abductors(outer thigh muscles) which really aren't located on the outer thigh region most of them are located in your glutes to move that exercises as we have the glutes(three muscle here), then deeper yet we have the outward rotators underneath that all to move the hip externally!

Let's see here how can these muscle all be worked like the triceps, well by benching of course, a nice compound movement! A great multi joint move!

How about the lower leg region like the inner and outer thighs, you guessed it Squats and deadlifts and even weighted walking lunges too!

And let's see all of the the above multi joint exercises I lifted, probably work your abs better than a 45 min class, and also cause more cals to be burned hours after being done as something called EPOC happens, which basically increases your metabolic rate for almost 24-48 hrs.

I think my rant is done and will also list this in the fitness for females section of this forum!

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Not to sound over sensitive/critical. But your rant seems a little condescending as most of us girls on this site do compound movements just like the boys do. Maybe it's your wording, but definitely came off a tad condescending. And for those girls who dont do the bigger compound exercises I'm sure it's just a lack of knowledge on how to "trim off" the fat in those problem areas. Good way to point out that fact though, that isolation exercises isnt going to magically turn fat into muscle
    Last edited by GaPeach; 01-15-2011 at 08:50 PM.
    "Yes you are deceptively strong. Now you look strong but you look women strong, when in reality you are beast-mode strong " - Matty

Youtube Channel: kbeezie84

November 2012 Log of the Month

Instagram: fitmom_kali_

Max Numbers: Squat - 215, Dead Lift - 245

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default questioning those who don't believe

But for the most part, the female population do not adhere to what you do if they did then there would be a lot more actual working out and less questioning what you do or what we try and get the rest of the women to do!

I wish most women worked out like you do, but the sad fact is they do not and thats the issue and is a fact , as they cardio themselves to death and do small bodyparts!
    You do not and other on here that do not do this then it does not appley to them and should respond to this to only reiterate what you know, what i know, what doug knows, and what most of us know to be the truth due to the tons of research being put out there, the the old school myths die hard in the gym, and yet we have a gym franchise in the USA(planet fitness), talking about just getting there and doing little light panzy style workouts, right? We need intensity brought to the gym, not just because you showed up today you are going to lose 3 lbs this week!

Love your pics of the squat and the deadlifts, awesome! And you defeintely look female to me!
    Last edited by Cytrainer913; 01-15-2011 at 09:25 PM.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Training Log
    • Photos

I definitely agree with you that most of the female population that you see in the gym just isnt educated on the real benefits of lifting "real" weights. I think the more that they see girls like me and your wife hittin the weights and NOT lookin like men (which alot of women think weights will do) then it can help change their viewpoints. But yeah most women are little cardio bunnies... that annoys me too
    "Yes you are deceptively strong. Now you look strong but you look women strong, when in reality you are beast-mode strong " - Matty

Youtube Channel: kbeezie84

November 2012 Log of the Month

Instagram: fitmom_kali_

Max Numbers: Squat - 215, Dead Lift - 245

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrainer913 View Post
    Today was short and sweet and to the point with the focus being on the small muscle group, the triceps, again this was very concentrated and I'm sure i will feel sore in the back of my arm tomorrow and the burn was pretty good while doing it, but man i know i burned very few cals but i sure got to hit those tris and again this si done once every three weeks, so it did what it was supposed to, give my triceps some very good work all on it's own but nothing too excessive, with some nice volume as well.

I want to stress this again and again how this is one of the muscles that women love to hit 2-3 times a week thinking that this will get rid of all the fat on the back of their arms, and again this is not the case as this is a muscle that gets rid of very little fat and burns very few cals, so yes work it but don't stress it as this is just a small muscle group that gets very little accomplished without hitting the bigger groups.

Let's see what else will we add here that will do little to burn body fat and/or calories, yep that's right the abs another group that does little to burn cals or make your stomach smaller in the long run, yes you can work them, but they don't need an abs class that lasts 45 min-1 hr or to be done again for 4-5 days a week, and will see little to no progress.

Let's see there one more area that we can again say will be another problem area that will be worked over and over again til the cows come home and will it do anything, for the most probably not, it's the tiny little group we have inside of our thighs called the adductors(inner though muscles) and then we want to also work our abductors(outer thigh muscles) which really aren't located on the outer thigh region most of them are located in your glutes to move that exercises as we have the glutes(three muscle here), then deeper yet we have the outward rotators underneath that all to move the hip externally!

Let's see here how can these muscle all be worked like the triceps, well by benching of course, a nice compound movement! A great multi joint move!

How about the lower leg region like the inner and outer thighs, you guessed it Squats and deadlifts and even weighted walking lunges too!

And let's see all of the the above multi joint exercises I lifted, probably work your abs better than a 45 min class, and also cause more cals to be burned hours after being done as something called EPOC happens, which basically increases your metabolic rate for almost 24-48 hrs.

I think my rant is done and will also list this in the fitness for females section of this forum!
    Hmmm Ė I canít figure out if this is (a) a poor attempt at humor, or (b) you really think the women on here are airheads. If itís (a), Sorry dude, but youíre not funny. If itís (b), please understand that not all the women on here are ignorant when it comes to the human musculature and the value of compound lifts. And lose the condescension - it really has no value.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default if it's not you then thank God

Sorry if you feel that way, but you are only a very small % of the base that do the right thing, and all the more power to you and keep preaching to the others that weights do work and i love for the women like you and GaPeach to come out and preach the truth because this is reality, but have to believe that you are still in the minority, here about lifting and getting it done with good old fashioned hard work. That's what needs to be said and keep it up at what you do, because the more they really do see it the more it will catch on, I'm sure the %'s here are greater than the regular pop, but for the most part it's still going on out there and don't think for a second i don't appreciate the feedback, because this is what I like to see, as this will only help to get that cardio equipment more open and less women afraid to enter the free weight area.

Keep liftin hard and heavy! the results will show up in your quality of life later on as you know all about the issues of how women are more affected by bone loss and weaknesses that will show up in other injuries!

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

OK thanks. It's just not good to generalize completely.

And believe me, I know I'm in the minority. I am 1 of 2 women who lift weights regularly at my gym during the 6 am to 8 am window. I am sure many people there think I am a nut, or that I'm there just to pick up guys. (Sometimes I even wonder what I'm doing in there, honestly, given that progress can be slow and the other women are piling into the spin studio or spending over an hour on the stairmaster.)

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default body resistance

These countless hours on cardio can have detrimental effects as well and eventually the body adapts to regular cardio and yes even the the spin class which is good and close to true HIIT, but the one issue I think is the class might last a bit long and therefore produces catabolic hormones, especially CORTISOL!

Keep lifting as it is a battle and you have the last word with the weights! keep it up and congrats on the progress you have made! Time is your friend and some of us need more than others to achieve where you want to be and you are choosing the right path!

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

A few points.

- totally agree that too few women understand the benefits of lifting. The world would be a better place if more women started focusing more on becoming physically stronger and healthier and less on trying to be thin at any cost.

- I think the guys that rant on about silly women not doing weights/not doing weights properly and spending hours doing cardio need to bear in mind just how alien an environment the weights sections of gyms can be, especially when you don't have a clue what you're doing at the start and feel like an idiot surrounded by a load of muscly men staring at you.

I still don't feel very comfortable training on my own sometimes. There's nothing like doing deadlifts or squats and being the only woman in sight and having 20+ guys lingering behind you either looking out of the corner of their eye or just blatantly standing with their arms crossed staring! I feel like I'm in pretty good shape and don't have any major hang ups about the way I look but if I was self-conscious about being overweight or whatever, then I'd imagine it would be that much worse.

-let's not forget about all the overweight men who go and train with weights 4-5 days a week and can lift some serious weight but do no cardio and whose bodyfat percentage must be in the mid-twenties at least. There are so many at my gym and I just don't get it.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default I know you are right

Quote Originally Posted by Julez View Post
    A few points.

- totally agree that too few women understand the benefits of lifting. The world would be a better place if more women started focusing more on becoming physically stronger and healthier and less on trying to be thin at any cost.

- I think the guys that rant on about silly women not doing weights/not doing weights properly and spending hours doing cardio need to bear in mind just how alien an environment the weights sections of gyms can be, especially when you don't have a clue what you're doing at the start and feel like an idiot surrounded by a load of muscly men staring at you.

I still don't feel very comfortable training on my own sometimes. There's nothing like doing deadlifts or squats and being the only woman in sight and having 20+ guys lingering behind you either looking out of the corner of their eye or just blatantly standing with their arms crossed staring! I feel like I'm in pretty good shape and don't have any major hang ups about the way I look but if I was self-conscious about being overweight or whatever, then I'd imagine it would be that much worse.

-let's not forget about all the overweight men who go and train with weights 4-5 days a week and can lift some serious weight but do no cardio and whose bodyfat percentage must be in the mid-twenties at least. There are so many at my gym and I just don't get it.
    The majority of the men that lift weights know little to nothing about what they are doing either, very few have good form or even lift the right amount of weight, skip their legs quite often, train chest 3 times a week, train biceps for 2 straight hours, and all the while have enough testosterone in their to make changes in their body yet can't see any physical changes from the time they started at the gym, now that's bad.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Cytrainer913 View Post
    The majority of the men that lift weights know little to nothing about what they are doing either, very few have good form or even lift the right amount of weight, skip their legs quite often, train chest 3 times a week, train biceps for 2 straight hours, and all the while have enough testosterone in their to make changes in their body yet can't see any physical changes from the time they started at the gym, now that's bad.
    Yeah, I'm still learning about lifting so probably don't pick up on a lot of the mistakes being made but the more I learn the more I realise how many guys don't appear to know what the hell they're doing! I definitely see a lot of guys at my gym who fall into the 'no legs but chest/biceps 3x week' category. Definitely not a good look. And if anyone can explain to me the reasoning behind working out in a sweaty gym in jeans, please let me know. Maybe jeans isn't so bad if you're just doing biceps and chest but still, it doesn't look too comfortable to me and it must be hot?!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

I think many guys (obviously not all!) don't really know what they are doing at the gym. I think it's because they tend to copy on each other... The idiot learning from the idiot :P Then they start packing on the weight...
    For example, squats, they pack on tons and tons of weight, then barely do a quarter squat (if even!).
    Then deadlifts... Always so horrified when I see so many of them rounding their back... For god sake, they should at least do a little bit of research before attempting these things...

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by lfytraining View Post
    I think many guys (obviously not all!) don't really know what they are doing at the gym. I think it's because they tend to copy on each other... The idiot learning from the idiot :P Then they start packing on the weight...
    For example, squats, they pack on tons and tons of weight, then barely do a quarter squat (if even!).
    Then deadlifts... Always so horrified when I see so many of them rounding their back... For god sake, they should at least do a little bit of research before attempting these things...
    So very true
    Doug

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Thank you Doug. I am now gonna shove this in the faces of friends and family who've been telling me for years I'll be a 'huge man' some day - as opposed to the healthy tone I've kept all these years lol.