Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Smile 20 yr-old female -- looking get lean and change lifestyle

Who doesn't want to look good naked?

Yesterday was the most movement my body has gotten in the last four months. During those four months I mostly sat on the couch surfing the web. Two weeks ago I flew to Massachusetts to stay with my sister for a month. During that time I have biked to the laundromat, grocery store, subway line, and town mall, all within a mile or less. That is to say, I've gotten very little exercise lately.

I have used yoga as an exercise (and meditation practice) for the past few years, practicing pretty consistently, but I don't see it as an effective way to get that strong core I've always wanted - the six pack, or something that closely resembles it.

So yesterday was my first time at the gym (ever), and I took a 45-min. kickboxing class. It was fun, almost like dancing, and it definitely kicked my butt. This morning I woke up pretty sore. Oh, and I also did the 15 minute "Ab Blast" class; it hurt so bad! But the entire time, I thought, "I don't want to be a couch potato anymore! I also want a rockin' body!"

Today I wanted to go to the class called "Total Conditioning" but missed it, so I went to another "Ab Blast" session a little late and followed up with a Zumba class (Latin dancing). The first class was so painful I couldn't get through the entire thing. I didn't know which was better: mimicking the teacher and half-assing the pose but not stopping, or doing the pose like it should be done but resting in-between that and the next one. I did the first way. It still hurt.

I found myself losing motivation during my second-ever "Ab Blast" class. I was gung-ho the first time which is understandable considering it was my first attempt at exercising in four months (I'm so ashamed, and now paying for it). But now that I'm back to a more normal weight, and it doesn't feel uncomfortable when I move, I'm wondering what is going to motivate me to push myself hard in class.

I've been pretty lean my entire life, and got incredibly so when I was into juice fasting and eating raw foods about a year ago. That combined with yoga was a recipe for a very skinny person. The past few months were emotionally hard, and I coped by eating a lot of junk food. Firstly, I'm not someone who is big on junk food, so eating copious amounts of it led me to gain some weight. It's the most I've ever weighed, and I came at 135 lbs (5'5"). I have a very small figure, so that's a lot for me (petite and of Asian descent). I felt incredibly uncomfortable in my own skin, or should I say, my own fat. I couldn't move and not feel the extra layers of padding covering me. I felt downright disgusting. Not only because I had gained some extra weight, but because of the horrible things I had been putting in to my system.

I couldn't not do something about it; it was just too unbearable. So a couple weeks ago I started eating less-than-reasonable amounts. I also decided to cut all animal products out of my diet (mostly for ethical reasons, but also because they have high fat content). I've always been conscious of what I put into my body, but for two months (Steptember, November) I was in complete denial that eating **** and not moving would effect my well-being. Well, it did. I got pudgy, felt really poorly about myself, and neglected taking care of myself.

I finally convinced my older sister to let me get a gym membership, and am very happy to have gone every day since then. Now I am wondering how much exercising is too much, and also what to consume to get the body I desire.

I want to get that awesome body without having weight training and working out take over my life. Perhaps in the beginning stages it might be more on my mind, but I would eventually like to get to a place where I hit the gym a couple times a week to maintain a toned and fit body, knowing what exercises are right for specific muscle groups and such. I want to eat right but look great. I don't want to monitor everything I eat. Sometimes I think, "if I want that last workout to have mattered, do I have to go drink a protein shake now?" But that's not what I want to do - I don't want to go out and buy a bunch of supplements (plus, that powder kind of questionable to me... unless it's like, hemp powder).

Now I'm back to a normal weight and feel comfortable, but am getting wondering how much further I am willing to take this new approach to life. Up until now I never thought about incorporating "the gym" into my life, but now I think that I could achieve a really awesome body with a little more work. I just don't want to push myself so hard that it becomes an obsession. I also don't want to look like a body-builder, which I'm kind of afraid of. But if that requires tons of time at the gym, I'm not worried about it.

How do people define self-discipline in the workout world? Is it how often you push yourself during each session? Is it feeling the muscle you want to tone burn during class? Is it going to the gym every day?

Synopsis:
    Let's see where this new lease on life will take me. With a proper, balanced diet, and dedication to achieving a toned body (more endurance is SO desirable!), where can I go wrong?

If you've made it this far, I'm guessing you identify with some of the things I have said or have answers to my questions. You might as well leave some feedback to either encourage me or answer some of my questions. Any recommendations? Have you gone through a major lifestyle change? Anything is appreciated.

(In the pictures of my only album, I think I am about 125 lbs. I'm 5'5")
    DIY peace

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Good luck

Banned
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Lucy! I dont see the "piles of fat" u mentioned. You look very in shape, and fit to be honest!

Here is the downright truth to female physiques. U ready? Its information that takes most women YEARS to believe. And even then they are skeptical.

Compound Olympic Lifts, and cardio build the best female bodies.

Accompanied with a good diet of-course. Im talkin Squats, Deadlifts, Bench power cleans and military press. However most women think that machines and stair steppers make up the golden brick road, and they wonder why they dont have the FITNESS MODEL physique. They believe that the lifts men do, make them look big and bulky. However, women dont produce the testosterone levels men do. And therefore building muscle to a "bulky" degree is physiologically IMPOSSIBLE!

Not only do compound lifts build muscle, they also burn ALOT of calories. And make u mentally very very tough!

The best thing u can do is read read read. All the information u could ever want is within this website. Start with diet, then move to the beginner routines section and check out all the form videos.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Self-discipline in the workout world, for me, is not skipping a workout because you don't feel like it that day, training every body part and not neglecting anything. Yes, this means you should be working out your chest and shoulders too, being a girl does not make you immune to this. Always pushing to do something harder when you can, not doing high rep low weight workouts to "tone", this is just not true. Heavier weights are better for everything, your diet will determine how much fat you carry.
    Squat 2.1x BW Squat, 1.75xBW Bench Press, 2.5xBW Deadlift (425/350/500)
    205 lbs @7%

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Lucy! I dont see the "piles of fat" u mentioned. You look very in shape, and fit to be honest!

Here is the downright truth to female physiques. U ready? Its information that takes most women YEARS to believe. And even then they are skeptical.

Compound Olympic Lifts, and cardio build the best female bodies.

Accompanied with a good diet of-course. Im talkin Squats, Deadlifts, Bench power cleans and military press. However most women think that machines and stair steppers make up the golden brick road, and they wonder why they dont have the FITNESS MODEL physique. They believe that the lifts men do, make them look big and bulky. However, women dont produce the testosterone levels men do. And therefore building muscle to a "bulky" degree is physiologically IMPOSSIBLE!

Not only do compound lifts build muscle, they also burn ALOT of calories. And make u mentally very very tough!

The best thing u can do is read read read. All the information u could ever want is within this website. Start with diet, then move to the beginner routines section and check out all the form videos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Self-discipline in the workout world, for me, is not skipping a workout because you don't feel like it that day, training every body part and not neglecting anything. Yes, this means you should be working out your chest and shoulders too, being a girl does not make you immune to this. Always pushing to do something harder when you can, not doing high rep low weight workouts to "tone", this is just not true. Heavier weights are better for everything, your diet will determine how much fat you carry.
    great posts guys....

Lucy, you need to train with weights to build the body you want and diet and cardio to strip the fat so that you can see it (BTW you are NOT fat or particularly out of shape )

Get your diet nailed down and then get your self on a good beginners routine 3 times per week. Then add in the cardio classes, step, ab blast, Zumba (My wife is a Zumba instructor and you will definitely get a strong core and lose fat doing it ) whatever it is you enjoy...

Subbed to this, any questions just post up and there are some pretty knowledgeable members on here that will help you out.

Good luck

Carl.
    power level 70,880

Follow my log... Carl1174 Search for the Ideal

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by lucyford View Post
    "I don't want to be a couch potato anymore! I also want a rockin' body!"
    hold that thought girl! it will get you through

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Thank you so much for the comments and recommendations! I really appreciate it.

I'm starting off the new year with the "Beginner Fullbody Workout".

Workout summary:
    There was no class today so instead I ran a mile, which actually felt like many more. I sweat a lot and jammed to M.I.A.'s new mixtape, ViCKi LEEKX - the best to run to. I also did some "standing alternating dumbbell curls" (3 sets, 12 reps, 6 lbs) and some "dumbbell triceps extensions" (2 sets, 12 reps, 4 lbs).

---------

I actually should have gone earlier to figure out where all the machines I needed were and also to find out what my max. weight on everything was, but I went late and the gym closed early today so I'll have to do that tomorrow.

I should have pushed myself harder today, but I felt kind of ****ty. I think it was because I haven't been eating as much as I should. So when I got home I made a heartier meal of quinoa, asparagus, eggplant, and a nice salad. I feel much better now. Other things I ate today include some weird concoction of a smoothie I made (soy beans, soy milk, spinach, lettuce, cup of bottled "green smoothie"), an orange, two apples, and like 1/2 cup of granola. In addition...

---------

To celebrate New Year's my sister, brother-in-law, and I were talking about going out but we decided to stay in instead (very, very low key this year). We were at the kitchen table when the decision was made. My brother-in-law went to the pantry and asked who wanted to eat a kind of instant ramen. Since I had not participated in their unhealthy late-night binges the last couple of times and the idea of going out (not to eat) was thrown out, I gave in and ate half of one. It's like, eating is one of the times people get together and enjoy something with one another, and my food choices have me feeling pretty alienated lately. I didn't realize that staying healthy could make me feel this way. At college there were at least other people who were into the health kick, eating organic, raw, straight from the garden. I don't want to feel pressured to eat foods that I don't find appealing (although, the ramen did taste good... but wouldn't have if it wasn't even an option in the pantry!), but it's not like I can get a new family. This is the really sucky part about people you love not sharing your lifestyle, or understanding it, or just not being accepting of it. I think this is what I will struggle with in 2011 - how to balance my lifestyle with that of friends and family. (On a side note, when someone asks me why I choose not to eat certain foods, I don't want to come up with an answer that sounds like I have given it a lot of thought. Why can't I just not eat dairy because I don't want to? I wish it were that simple, sometimes. Maybe I should lie and say, "it tastes gross," because no one can really put up a fight with my taste buds.)

So here I am, typing about how I regret eating that 1/2 of a of package ramen and what the ramen sybolizes in my life right now.

It was really fun when I was at school and there were others that were just as enthusiastic as I was about detoxes, yoga, and conscious eating. I realize now that that is a really big part of my life, and might determine who I ultimately choose to spend my time with in the upcoming months. I'm in quite the transitional period in my life. I'm back in my home state starting mid-January and might be starting school there in the fall instead of going back to Washington where I was for a year.

In 2011 I envision a lot of fresh organic food (I don't care how expensive it is, I'm buying it with the money I earn from my new job that I don't have yet!), a lot of biking through the city, enough money to move out of my parents' house, expanding my musical repertoire, and (crossing my fingers) applying to art school/getting my portfolio ready. Oh, and working on acquiring the dreambody. I think I have my work cut out for me!! By the end of 2011 I hope to have moved out of my childhood home, have produced good art (maybe even some music (?!?)), start a savings account, and be satisfied with a comparison of my body on that date with the one I took a couple of days ago. I want to be able to say, "damn, my time at the gym really paid off!"

---------

Maybe going to the gym will end up becoming a bigger role in my life if the next two weeks here in Massachusetts goes well. Even if I don't see any difference in my body by the end of my stay here, I think I will still get a membership when I go back to my home state. Then again, a year is not really that long, so maybe I should resolve to go to the gym every day for a year... (?!).

I think I should stick with it for a while. I'm sure it will take me some time to get used to the whole routine. I mean, I look around the gym and all of the machines look the same to me. They're all clunky and it looks like I could hurt myself on them. Actually, I did take a weight training class in high school and although it only lasted for a couple of months, I could do seven pull-ups at the end of the class whereas at the beginning I couldn't do even one.

The more I think about it the more I am willing to be invested in this experiment in trying to acquire a six-pack. I know it's possible but I'm wondering how much pain I'm willing to put myself through to get the results. It still hurts a little but to walk around and to laugh.

Is it not enough to do abdominal exercises every day but not hurt so badly the next day and end up with a six-pack at the end of a certain amount of time, say six months? Or do I have to hurt? Is the saying true, "no pain, no gain"?

I think tomorrow before I go to the gym I will search the forums for some more information, like how much weight I should pull and lift and how many reps to do. I remember in that weight training class there was a specific method or way of calculating it. Darn, I wish I could remember that. Who will I ask to spot me on the bench press? I hope some women will be around!!

At some point I would like to address the effect smoking green has on working out... detrimental? Hope not! But let's save that for another post.
    Last edited by lucyford; 01-04-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: missed the word 'alienated' after pretty - i feel 'pretty alienated' not 'pretty'
    DIY peace

Banned
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Keep it light for your maxes (1rm) warm up and stretch well. But dont hurt urself trying to push more than u can. Ur a beginner so your numbers SHOULD be low. Even if its just the bar, doing something with it will benefit you

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

good luck! if u ever need advice we are always here
    Dedicated...

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

Your fingers should be in great shape!! I don't know if i have ever seen somebody type that much in there first two post! I will be ohnest I am lazy and didn't even read all of that! But Good luck though!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1212 View Post
    Good luck
    Living Large

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner82 View Post
    Your fingers should be in great shape!! I don't know if i have ever seen somebody type that much in there first two post! I will be ohnest I am lazy and didn't even read all of that! But Good luck though!
    Agreed. Best of luck and I'll be following!
    Twitter @JMang0

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner82 View Post
    x2, wall of text. Too much to read for me, but Im mirin the enthusiasm!
    Squat 2.1x BW Squat, 1.75xBW Bench Press, 2.5xBW Deadlift (425/350/500)
    205 lbs @7%

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Thanks for the replies and encouragement everyone!!!! I'm too lazy to quote and respond to people individually (but apparently not lazy enough to type my entire life story, ha).

I would appreciate responses to questions that are in bold with its context in italics. You can skip to that part if you don't want to read everything else and still be helpful. The rest is journal content that is mostly just for me, but public for curious people and those who identify with me.

Workout summary:
    Ran one intense mile. Played around with the medicine ball and pilates ball, enough to feel some burn. Figured out my one-repetition-maximum (1RM) for my exercises for the next 12 weeks.

1RM in lbs for January 1, 2011:
    Leg press: 170
    Leg curl: 50
    Seated cable row: 70
    Flat bench press: 60
    Dumbbell press: 12 (?)
    Dumbbell shrug: NA (couldn't remember the exercise)
    Triceps pushdown: 40
    Barbell curl: 18 (there is no bar that is heavier than that unless I use the olympic bar (45), which is way too heavy)
    Back extension: 100
    Standing calf raise: I decided not to do it since my calves are pretty big to begin with
    Barbell wrist curl: I did tiny movements with the olympic bar but honestly, I don't get this exercise at all.
    Ab crunches: NA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On "one-repetition-maximums" (1RM):
    Just a few minutes ago I read the explanation again for how to conduct a 1RM, and I'm pretty sure I went about it all wrong. This is how I did it: for each exercise, I performed one rep on a low weight, and if I could lift it I would increase the weight until I couldn't lift anymore. Then I recorded the amount before the one I couldn't lift. For the future, I was planning on doing one set of 15 reps with 70% of my 1RM. But now after having read some more about 1RMs, I'm pretty confused about everything to do with with them. I know there is a ton of information out there about this topic so I don't want to ask about it here, especially in a "members' journal" thread. I will have to scour the forums and the internet to get a good understanding of what they're all about.

On "a new routine":
    Instead of the Beginner Fullbody Workout I decided to do the 12-week-beginners-training-routine so I wouldn't scare myself off from training in the long-term. The only reason I wouldn't do the 12-week routine would be because I might get bored, since for the first three weeks I only do one set of everything. Does anyone recommend one routine over the other for me and have reasons as to why?

On "what I have learned":
    Since yesterday I have read a little more about strength training. Now I know what the terms "cutting" and "bulking" mean and think it's a myth that one can't do both simultaneously, but only firsthand experience will tell.

Losing Fat & Cutting, Without Losing Muscle is a good article to read, and I learned a lot from it. I think I'll reread it for fun.

Other important information I have learned:
    - Cutting calories alone will not work! You might lose muscle instead of fat.
    - Spreading small meals throughout the day will increase your metabolism.
    - Essential Fatty Acids (Omega 3 and Omega 6) are exactly that - essential for good health.
    - Weight training is superior to aerobics as muscle burns calories whereas fat does not.
    - Intensity is paramount to longevity.
    - It's very possible to be vegan and put on muscle.

On "diet and nutrition":
    I'm Korean, and on New Year's Day, Koreans eat a rice cake soup called ddukguk. Too bad the broth was made from ANCHOVIES. My short-lived vegan streak has been tainted with fish water. It's okay, though; I am not deterred! Tonight I shared a salad of spinach, celery, onion, grated carrot, tomato, and most importantly, garbanzo beans (balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil as dressing). I also ate some quinoa, sautéd green beans and onion, part of a Korean pancake (blended soy beans, kimchi, green onion, a little flour), and kimchi. I didn't eat too much of anything yet got full pretty quickly. I think my stomach shrunk. It was very vegan and I would say very healthy. I also had a big apple after dinner - yuum.

The grocery store is in the same strip mall as my gym and we went there to pick up some apple cider for my brother-in-law. I also picked up some walnuts, one avocado (they're f-ing $1.70!), and blueberries (saaale $2.50 off!). This paragraph is rather superfluous. Sorry.

There's an article my sister put on the frigde a year ago and it's for a vegan restaurant in Boston. She rediscovered it today. We're going to go in the next following weeks, and also go to Hay Market. Yay!

On "personal thoughts":
    I'm kind of annoyed that I didn't spend my time very productively at the gym today. My sister was also being grouchy, kept on saying she was bored, and was not being very supportive. I had to wake her up from her nap to get her to come with me. Gr... I will keep at my routine, though, until I know what I'm doing amongst all of the machines. I will keep going until I feel comfortable at the gym and see some results, even if it takes many months longer than I initially thought.

Oh, and the other day while I was eating Indian food with her, she's like, "you want a bite?" I'm like, "why would you even ask me that?" when there is f-ing chicken in your food? And just now she just made some banana bread with dairy, and she's like, "you want a bite?" NO THANK YOU and thanks for being supportive of my decision to go vegan, ya jerk. I guess it's "just in case", but I don't want any exceptions. It's a slippery slope, my friends.

At least we're going to that restaurant... she's really not as bad as she sounds. Most of the time.

On "goal setting":
    Once I become more familiar with my body I might target certain parts of it to tone and add mass to, but right now, my goal is to stick to the routine and see it through until the very last day!! Other goals include staying away from junk food at all costs (there are just so many other yummy foods out there that are healthier), going to classes throughout the week (I will see how many I can go to while still working out intensely during my designated 2 days), and being patient. I need some kind of cardio, so either running or the classes will cover that.

Thanks for reading until the end! Please answer the question in bold if you can. I'll try to keep it shorter from now on and organize what I write about like I did today so the reader can pick and choose.
    Last edited by lucyford; 01-02-2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: I benched 60, not 30. Some guy told me the barbell was 15 lbs. Even I knew that sounded really wrong. What a dummy.
    DIY peace

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

BLAAAHH there is sooo much information out there, I'm almost afraid of going to the gym to work out now.

Things like, make sure you have your diet in order before you work out. And if I want to bulk, I shouldn't do cardio because it might eat away at my muscles. I'm afraid to eat more calories than I am burning in case I will get fat again, but that shouldn't be a problem if I'm training, right? But what routine should I do? and what is this "Escalating Density Training"? Is it the best method? How much should I lift, and how many reps should I do, and how many sets? What is the best way to achieve the best results?

AHHHH!!

(This is just me venting)
    DIY peace

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

BLAAAHH there is sooo much information out there, I'm almost afraid of going to the gym to work out now.

Things like, make sure you have your diet in order before you work out. And if I want to bulk, I shouldn't do cardio because it might eat away at my muscles. I'm afraid to eat more calories than I am burning in case I will get fat again, but that shouldn't be a problem if I'm training, right? But what routine should I do? and what is this "Escalating Density Training"? Is it the best method? How much should I lift, and how many reps should I do, and how many sets? What is the best way to achieve the best results?

AHHHH!!

Cardio is always a good idea. The calculators you find arent 100% accurate, they are like a ballpark figure. Find an amount of calories, and diet, try it out and see how it goes
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training – and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

AHHHH!!

let it go babe. you cant learn it all at once. half the fun is learning all the new stuff!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Big props for the enthusiasm and detailed journal - nice to see someone come on here and start with such committment. Will be following and will help in any way I can!

On "a new routine":
    Instead of the Beginner Fullbody Workout I decided to do the 12-week-beginners-training-routine so I wouldn't scare myself off from training in the long-term. The only reason I wouldn't do the 12-week routine would be because I might get bored, since for the first three weeks I only do one set of everything. Does anyone recommend one routine over the other for me and have reasons as to why?
    The reason you only do one set of everything is to get acquainted with the technique of various exercises. You're easing your body into it, and learning the mechanics of how each lift is performed. It's a way of preparing your body for the strain you'll put it under with more sets, more weight and more compound and complex lifts. Think of it as checking the oil in your car, air pressure in the tyres etc before setting out on a long journey

I would definitely suggest doing it if you're entirely new to lifting, which it sounds you are.
    Then: 58kg | 128lbs Now: 75kg | 165lbs
    Down Under

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default patience on the 12-week routine

Quote Originally Posted by saggingbull
    let it go babe. you cant learn it all at once. half the fun is learning all the new stuff!
    Thanks for helping me keep a level head. I think I've been expecting too much of myself, but I am a total newbie (only a week young to the world of weight training minus a required high school class I took six years ago, heh).

I'm still having fun learning, though!

Quote Originally Posted by StewieB View Post
    Big props for the enthusiasm and detailed journal - nice to see someone come on here and start with such committment. Will be following and will help in any way I can!

The reason you only do one set of everything is to get acquainted with the technique of various exercises. You're easing your body into it, and learning the mechanics of how each lift is performed. It's a way of preparing your body for the strain you'll put it under with more sets, more weight and more compound and complex lifts. Think of it as checking the oil in your car, air pressure in the tyres etc before setting out on a long journey

I would definitely suggest doing it if you're entirely new to lifting, which it sounds you are.
    Thanks for affirming my decision to go with the 12-week routine. It's also nice to see that not everyone is deterred by my long posts hehe

--

I'm reminding myself to be patient in acquiring more knowledge to get the dreambody (but won't let myself slack in the meantime). Let the learning begin!
    DIY peace

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Okay, here's the deal.

On "diet":
    I think counting calories is not too important for me. I'm not into binging or starving myself, so I think I'll be okay eating normally since I am a health-conscious eater to begin with. This means plenty of greens, root vegetables, nuts, tofu, brown rice, quinoa, beans, granola, and other whole foods of the like plus olive oil, vinegar and spices for flavoring. As a supplement, I think I'll just go and get some flaxseed oil.

On "general exercise":
    Secondly, there's a lot of confusion about cutting, bulking, and their relationship with cardio and weight training. I would like to develop a formula specific to me that would provide the most muscle gain and fat loss as possible. After all, isn't that the point? And since all of our bodies are different, isn't it ultimately up to trial-and-error to figure out what works best?

I've come to the conclusion to simply keep a very detailed workout and nutrition log for the first 12 weeks of eating healthy, training two times a week following the routine, while going to supplemental classes.

The only problem now is that I'm a little concerned that I might overdo it by training and additionally going to classes. I want to stick to the routine to get familiar with the machines for future training purposes, but I also want to go to the classes since I think that they are really effective. I know that there needs to be enough rest time in between workouts in order for my muscles to rebuild and get bigger, but I want to rest as little as possible for the quickest results; I am really motivated to get fit and I don't want to waste that motivation.

So now I am back to doubting my choice of routine, thinking I should just stick to classes. But that's like a whole different area, isn't it? Like, kickboxing is its own field in and of itself, as is pilates and such. But there must be people out there who weight train but also kickbox and do pilates and other sports. I wonder what their formulas are. More research?

Hm... as this beginner's article says, I am a bit discouraged by all of the information out there. Ultimately, I think this is more of the beginning of my journey into figuring out how to stay fit and get the body I desire while having fun at the same time.

Off to the gym. I will update when I get back.
    DIY peace

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

AHHHH!!

You don't need all of this ^^

It's really very simple, or as complex as you want it to be.

Watch what you're eating, as in jot it down; if you gain weight but want to lose, then reduce what you eat, by a small amount and check again the week after. If you lose weight but want to gain, then add food, and check the week after. Always give any dietary changes 2 weeks before tweaking, to ensure they are working.

Start a beginner routine, doesn't matter which one, just select one; go the gym and start lifting. Do cardio, if you want to; it's good for endurance and heart health, so it's never a bad thing. You can do 20 minutes of cardio or you can do a longer session, it's all up to you.

Don't overcomplicate things and you'll be fine; overcomplication puts a lot of people off because what should be enjoyable becomes a chore...they also forget that it's people that have been working out for years and generally with competing in mind that have to be a lot more serious with diet and training...the rest of us can afford blips that may mean we lose 1 lb less fat over the course of a year.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Questions are in bold

Workout summary:
    Ran a mile in 13 minutes (at my fastest it was half of that ).

I did 15 repetitions of everything (in lbs) unless indicated:
    - Leg press: 90 lbs
    - Lying leg curl: 30
    - Seated cable row: 50, 11 reps was my max; came back later to do 40 lbs (15 reps)
    - Flat bench press: 45 (bar), 8 reps was my max
    - Dumbbell press: 7
    - Dumbbell shrug: 7, 10
    - Pushdown: 35, 7 reps was my max; came back later to do 25 lbs (15 reps)
    - Barbell curl: 18
    - Back extension: 50
    - Barbell wrist curl: 18; came back later to do 45 lbs (Olympic bar), 6 reps was my max
    - Crunches: 15

Etiquette: is it okay to take the Olympic bar that is meant for bench press, turn it around, and use it for barbell wrist curls?

At one point I had a lot of questions about the 1RM and how to use that number. I'm not as concerned anymore. I ended up not wasting my time at the gym yesterday since the number I calculated from it to perform my sets with was within my rep range. I just went down one weight since someone told me to take it easy, and even then I couldn't do 15 reps on some of the exercises.

On "diet and nutrition"
    Time of meal #1: 1:00 pm (woke up late); seaweed soup, white rice, kimchi, some spinach and garbanzo beans; calorie count: no idea, estimating 400
    Time of meal #2: 3:00 pm; 1/3 cup granola (167 cal), 1 cup soy milk (100 cal), walnuts and pistachios (250 cal); calorie count: 517
    Time of meal #3: 6:30 pm; 1/4 cup granola (63 cal), 1 cup soy milk (100 cal), 1 tbs flaxseed oil (120 cal); calorie count: 283
    Time of meal #4: 7:45 pm; sautéd onions, green pepper, spinach, bean sprouts with garlic, leftover quinoa (prolly 1/4 cup uncooked), kimchi, dried seaweed, 1/4 can garbanzo beans, red pepper paste (bibimbap); calorie count: no idea, estimating 400

Total calories for the day: 1,800

I'm calculating calories to get a general idea of how much I intake on a daily basis. It's all a very, very rough estimate. It's kind of a pain-in-the-ass though, so I might stop after a while.

I think that extra dose of granola I normally wouldn't have gave me a boost of energy. I felt great after my workout today!
    Last edited by lucyford; 01-03-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: meal #4; missed dumbbell shrug
    DIY peace

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    You don't need all of this ^^

It's really very simple, or as complex as you want it to be.

Watch what you're eating, as in jot it down; if you gain weight but want to lose, then reduce what you eat, by a small amount and check again the week after. If you lose weight but want to gain, then add food, and check the week after. Always give any dietary changes 2 weeks before tweaking, to ensure they are working.

Start a beginner routine, doesn't matter which one, just select one; go the gym and start lifting. Do cardio, if you want to; it's good for endurance and heart health, so it's never a bad thing. You can do 20 minutes of cardio or you can do a longer session, it's all up to you.

Don't overcomplicate things and you'll be fine; overcomplication puts a lot of people off because what should be enjoyable becomes a chore...they also forget that it's people that have been working out for years and generally with competing in mind that have to be a lot more serious with diet and training...the rest of us can afford blips that may mean we lose 1 lb less fat over the course of a year.
    Thanks, Babs. I am more relieved after reading your advice. rep+
    DIY peace

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Workout summary:
    Ran 2.5 miles in x amount of time (cleared the time on accident). My max was 6mph; I was steady on that for probably 0.5 mi.

Zealously recorded my intake for the day, kind of for fun:
    5 small meals
    1. Fruit smoothie (bottled)
    2. Oatmeal with fixings
    3. Rice and raw sprouts with sauce
    4. Same as above
    5. Chickpea fritter sandwich

8:30 -
    #1. Fruit smoothie (bottled)
    Green Goodness fruit smoothie (Bolthouse Farms - Nonorganic)
    - 1.5 cup = 210 calories
    - Total Fat = 0g
    - Sodium - 25mg
    - Total Carbs = 33g
    - Dietary Fiber = 1g
    - Sugars = 27g
    - Protein = 2g

10:30 -
    #2. Oatmeal with fixings
    100% Whole Grain Irish-style Oatmeal (Old Wessex Ltd. - Organic)
    - 0.5 cup = 160 calories
    - Total Fat = 3g
    - Saturated Fat = 0.5g
    - Trans Fat = 0g
    - Sodium = 0mg
    - Total Carbs = 26g
    - Dietary Fiber = 5g
    - Soluble Fiber = 2g
    - Insoluble Fiber = 3g
    - Sugars = 0g
    - Protein = 6g

Soymilk (Soy Dream - Organic)
    - 0.5 cup = 50 calories
    - Total Fat = 4g
    - Saturated = 0.5g
    - Trans = 0g
    - Polyunsaturated = 2.5g
    - Monounsaturated = 1g
    - Sodium = 135mg
    - Total Carbs = 8g
    - Dietary Fiber = 2g
    - Sugar = 4g
    - Protein = 7g

Fixings
    Blueberries (Natureripe Farms - Nonorganic)
    - 0.25 cup = 20 calories
    - Total Carbs = 5g
    - Dietary Fiber = 1g
    - Sugar = 4g
    - Total Fat = negligible
    - Protein = 0.25g

Shelled Walnuts (Diamond of California - Nonorganic)
    - 0.25 cup = 200 calories
    - Total Fat = 20g
    - Saturated Fat = 2g
    - Trans Fat = 0g
    - Polyunsaturated - 14g
    - Monounsaturated = 2.5
    - Sodium = 0mg
    - Total Carbs = 4g
    - Dietary Fiber = 2g
    - Sugars = 1g
    - Protein = 5g

Flax Oil (Spectrum Essentials - Organic)
    - 1 Tbsp = 120 calories
    - Total Fat = 13g
    - Saturated Fat = 1g
    - Trans Fat = 0g
    - Polyunsaturate Fat = 9g
    - Monounsaturated Fat = 2.5g
    - Omega-3 = 7g
    - Omega-6 = 2g
    - Omega-9 = 2.5g

Meal #2 Nutritional information:
    - Total calories = 760
    - Total Fat = 40g
    - Saturated Fat = 4g
    - Trans Fat = 0g
    - Polyunsaturated = 25.5g
    - Monounsaturated = 6
    - Total Carbs = 43g
    - Total Dietary Fiber = 10 g
    - Total Sugar = 9 g
    - Total Protein = 18.25g

1:30 and 3:30
    #3 and 4 Kongnamul bap
    Short-grain white rice (Kagayaki - Nonorganic)
    - 1 cup (cooked) = 242 calories
    - Total Fat = 0.35 g
    - Saturated = 0.095g
    - Polyunsaturate Fat = 0.093g
    - Monounsaturated = 0.108g
    - Total Carbohydrate = 53.44g
    - Protein = 4.39g

Soybean sprouts (Chang Farm - Nonorganic)
    - 1 cup = 100 calories
    - Total fat = 6g
    - Saturated = 1g
    - Sodium = 10mg
    Total Carbs = 8g
    - Dietary Fiber = 2g
    - Sugars = 2g
    - Protein = 13g

Sauce
    Green onion (Nonorganic)
    - 0.25 cup chopped = 10 calories
    - Sodium = 5mg
    - Total Carbs = 2g
    - Dietary FIber = 1g
    - Sugars = 1g

Roasted sesame seeds (햇 - Nonorganic)
    - 1 tsp = 30 calories
    - Total fat = 2.5g
    - Protein = 1g

Soy sauce (Sempio - Nonorganic)
    - 0.5 tbsp = 5 calories
    - Sodium = 560 mg
    - Total Carbs = 0.5g
    - Sugars = 0.5g
    - Protein = 0.5g

Meal #3 and 4 nutritional information:
    - Total calories = 387
    - Total fat = 8.85g
    - Total carbs = 63.94
    - Total protein = 18.89

7:00
    #5 Bomb-ass Chickpea fritter sandwich from "Clover"
    - 2/3 of sandwich = 304 calories (455 total)
    - Total carbs = 49g
    - Fiber = 10g
    - Total fat = 8g
    - Protein = 10g

Total calories = 1,661
    Total fat = 57g
    Total carbs = 221.94
    Total protein = 49.14g

Totally vegan, totally filling, totally satisfying.
    Last edited by lucyford; 01-04-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    DIY peace

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Hello lucyford,

I'm new to weight training and tracking my nutritional values, and your posts are refreshing for me, as you ask questions I have been looking for answers for as well... so your questions encourage and when other answer them, you then allow other to be informed... keep up the good work...

There are ways you can track the calories you eat and burn everyday.

Knowing the amount of calories you need every day is important for losing weight or gaining weight. Especially, when it comes to excercising as intense as you are.

I have tried two different sites for tracking nutritional values. One is very basic and the other is more involved, but both are very easy to navigate. You will need to start an account with both, but the counters are free and sign up is very easy.

1. www.everydayhealth.com/
    (basic and tracks less nutritional values)

2. www.fitday.com/
    (more involved, tracks all the macro-nutrient values as well as all minerals, all vitamins and more... but go figure, it does not track SUGAR intake, I have no idea why)

These sites offer a few types of service. You can use a calorie calculator to determine how many calories you need each day based upon your everyday activity... work, workout routines etc..... you only need to use this once unless your activity on daily basis changes drastically...

Another great aspect is you can track the calories you eat and burn everyday. If the food your eating is not in the data base you have the option to ADD your foods nutritional value to your personal data base... it's a little time consuming, but I have the feeling you might end up saving time entering your food information... when your day is complete with entering values you can save the data and post it..

Saving nutritional values to a spread sheet has been a problem for me, but maybe you can get it to work better for you... I have been using my own way of cutting and pasting, but I
    know there is a better/easier way to post the info.. than what i'm doing...

For example, when using www.everydayhealth.com/ I add nutrition values to a speadsheet and cut and paste to get a end result like this:

12/27/10 Nutritional Intake

Calories 1921

Fat (g) 63.12

Chol. (mg) 306

Sod. (mg) 3847

Crb. (g) 223.59

Fib.(g) 25.84

Sug.(g) 126.36

Pro. (g) 134.89

You being a vegan, you might want to review the www.fitday.com/ site.. it's very detailed and will allow you to track so many more nutritional values... all the Recommended Daily Values are listed for easy review and you can compare the values to your actual intake...

Truth be told, using this counter is not something I will continue forever... I'm using it to get a baseline of what nutrition/calories I am actually getting on a daily basis... after a few months I will be able to guesstimate more accurately...

I was guessing nutritional values before and I was incorrect on so many foods...
    The counter took the guess work out...

Regards,
    Mondy
    Last edited by mondo2658; 01-03-2011 at 11:00 PM.