Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

Default My Workout Good or Bad?

im only 16 years old im around 5'11 weighing 178 with a little extra fat around the stomach area specially my obliques right now im taking NZero (preworkout) OXP(fat burner) and protein shots 1 a day on my working out days im following the pyramid routine found on this site for muscle building so far so good... sometimes i wake up early and go do some cardio and abs at the gym im working out 5-6 times a week sometimes twice a day but just cardio if i go two times a day im eating good lean chicken egg whites and at times raw eggs i want to get really lean but it seems so hard i need tips im already pretty big just need a little more definition around my torse and need to lose the handles any tips or excersises would be appreciated =)

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

been doing the new routine for about 2 weeks now seen some diffrence on my back and traps mostly and a bit on my arms

Größte Mutter im Zimmer Abaddon's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMan0315 View Post
    im only 16 years old im around 5'11 weighing 178 with a little extra fat around the stomach area specially my obliques right now im taking NZero (preworkout) OXP(fat burner) and protein shots 1 a day on my working out days im following the pyramid routine found on this site for muscle building so far so good... sometimes i wake up early and go do some cardio and abs at the gym im working out 5-6 times a week sometimes twice a day but just cardio if i go two times a day im eating good lean chicken egg whites and at times raw eggs i want to get really lean but it seems so hard i need tips im already pretty big just need a little more definition around my torse and need to lose the handles any tips or excersises would be appreciated =)
    OK, firstly welcome to the forum

Now, what you're doing is mostly wrong.

You're too young to be using supplements; this is a typical practice for young people who do not buy or cook their own meals, and so have no idea about proper diet and nutrition. So, the first thing to do is learn about proper eating!

Drop the supplements. If I had a dollar for every time a teenager asked the same questions as you, I'd have earned a few thousand dollars since May. Supplements are designed to - get this - SUPPLEMENT your diet. Not replace it.

Working out 5-6 times a week is almost certainly overtraining Many many people your age do it, and then wonder why their gains slow down and they start sustaining injuries. It's coz muscles need several days rest. Not a couple: SEVERAL. Hence experienced lifters train only one muscle group per week.

Training twice a day?? See the above^ overtraining

Your diet is... ok, I guess. The fact is that not much about your weekly regimen is included in your post. If you'd like a thorough critique, please post up your FULL diet and training regimen.

If you want more definition in the torso, it will ultimately come down to body fat %. How you attain that goal is by: closely following the advice given in this forum and on this site,
    being clinically accurate with your diet,
    lifting heavy,
    resting plenty,
    and basically NOT doing what you've been doing to date!!

And a final reminder: FORGET ABOUT THE SUPPLEMENTS!!
    Last edited by Abaddon; 10-12-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    WEST AUSTRALIAN AMATEUR STRONGMAN
    AXLE CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs/ 231 lbs BENCH PRESS: 135 kgs / 298 lbs DEADLIFT: 220 kgs / 485 lbs FARMERS WALK: 240 kgs / 530 lbs, for 50 feet FRONT SQUAT: 100 kgs / 220 lbs KROC ROW: 82.5 kgs / 182 lbs left 5 reps, right 4 reps LOG CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs STANDING OHP: 90 kgs / 198 lbs TYRE FLIP: 260 kgs / 573 lbs, for 100 feet

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Don't be so quick to jump on the overtraining bandwagon. Although I am sure this is the case, we can't just assume!

Need to see your actual routine and diet to critique you whatsoever.
    Squat 2.1x BW Squat, 1.75xBW Bench Press, 2.5xBW Deadlift (425/350/500)
    205 lbs @7%

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

5-6 times a week? Sometimes twice a day?
    OVERTRAINING
    AXLE CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs/ 231 lbs BENCH PRESS: 135 kgs / 298 lbs DEADLIFT: 220 kgs / 485 lbs FARMERS WALK: 240 kgs / 530 lbs, for 50 feet FRONT SQUAT: 100 kgs / 220 lbs KROC ROW: 82.5 kgs / 182 lbs left 5 reps, right 4 reps LOG CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs STANDING OHP: 90 kgs / 198 lbs TYRE FLIP: 260 kgs / 573 lbs, for 100 feet

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    5-6 times a week? Sometimes twice a day?
    OVERTRAINING
    With the twice a day, the OP is only doing cardio on the second session which is no more that someone doing weights followed by cardio, just that it's split up.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    With the twice a day, the OP is only doing cardio on the second session which is no more that someone doing weights followed by cardio, just that it's split up.
    ...a valid point... but he does mention that, with cardio, he's also working abs, correct? Surely that constitutes overtraining (assuming his weekly workout is halfway decent)?

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    ...a valid point... but he does mention that, with cardio, he's also working abs, correct? Surely that constitutes overtraining (assuming his weekly workout is halfway decent)?
    Unless cardio and abs are coupled up, some do it that way.

The Pyramid Routine, is that a full workout on the site or a system to base a workout on, I haven't looked...but that's the routine the OP is doing, so presumably it's okay, apart from experience levels maybe.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

im only 16 years old im around 5'11 weighing 178 with a little extra fat around the stomach area specially my obliques right now im taking NZero (preworkout) OXP(fat burner) and protein shots 1 a day on my working out days
    You don't need these supplements. A solid diet and you'll be fine. Even the protein is unnecessary, but if you want to take protein, just get plain old whey. At your age you shouldn't be using supplementation in my opinion, and certainly not a fat burner (regardless of age). I wouldn't even worry about caloric intake either; just eat clean and stay away from junk. When a clean diet and proper training coincide, rarely do you end up with an over-weight individual.

im following the pyramid routine found on this site for muscle building so far so good... sometimes i wake up early and go do some cardio and abs at the gym im working out 5-6 times a week sometimes twice a day but just cardio if i go two times a day
    I would stick to a 3 day program and still run the cardio if you want. 5-6 is way too much for a beginner, if you're actually exerting yourself as you should be.

im eating good lean chicken egg whites and at times raw eggs i want to get really lean but it seems so hard i need tips im already pretty big just need a little more definition around my torse and need to lose the handles any tips or excersises would be appreciated =)
    Get your lean meats, definitely get your veggies and fruit. And no, I don't care if you don't like veggies. Eat your whole eggs because they are good for you and do not contribute to cholesterol totals unless you're doing something stupid like eating 2 cartons a day. And you should not be eating raw eggs as there is no added benefit to consuming raw eggs. Technically the bioavailability of its protein and other nutrients are diminished to a certain degree by consuming raw eggs.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

im guna post my whole workout and diet asap so i can get the whole summary =) thank you.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

Monday:
    Chest
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Bench Press 4 6, 8, 10, 14
    Incline or Decline Bench Press 4 6, 8, 10, 14
    Pec Dec or Cable Crossovers 3 8, 10, 14

Tuesday:
    Back
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Deadlift 4 6, 8, 10, 14
    Pullups superset w/Lat Pull down 3 Max / 8, 10, 14
    Dumbbell Row 3 4, 8, 12

And

Biceps
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Barbell Curl 3 6, 8, 14
    Hammer Curl 3 8, 10, 12
    Preacher Curl 3 8, 10, 12

Wednesday:

Triceps
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Incline Skullcrusher 3 6, 8, 10
    Two Arm Seated Dumbbell Extension 4 6, 8, 10, 12
    Reverse Grip Tricep Pulldown 3 6, 10, 14

Thursday:

Shoulders
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Arnold Dumbbell Press 4 6, 8, 10, 12
    Cable or Dumbbell Lateral Raise 3 8, 11, 14
    Bent Over Reverse Dumbbell Flyes 3 8, 12, 14

And

Traps
    Exercise Sets Reps
    Behind the Back Barbell Shrug 3 8, 12, 14

Friday:rest
    Saturday:cardio&abs
    sunday:cardio&abs
    Note: i do abs every other day with my workouts...

if a proffesional can please edit my routine to get me at my peak shape thatd would be awsome =)

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

now for my diet

in the morning im eating 2 full eggs and 2 egg whites with two pieces of brown toast with 100% oj

afternoon im eating lean chicken with brown rice with 100% oj

work out

dinner il have some more lean chicken sometimes some beans and brownrice with again orange juice and ill have 2 raw eggs mixed with oj and have 1 protein shot with 30mg of protein

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

ofcourse il have some healthy snacks in between to boost my metabolism

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

and btw im not a beginner ive been working outfor quite a while i just have my periods where i stop for a while il post pics of aswell pretty soon thank you very much

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

one more thing sorry i dont workout my legs due to the fact i play soccer everyday of the week for a good 2 hours

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

like previously mentioned, you need a few days rest for muscles to repair...... that also includes abs!!!! if your doing your abs correctly, then you should feel em the next day and really training them again would be overtraining then. unless your not doing abs right?

Will rep for Zyzz posts TBtaylor52's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

.... Still no excuse not to train legs.. Not training legs=Getting half the results. You want big and strong muscles, man up and squat.
    RIP Zyzz 03/24/1989 – 08/06/2011. Veni Vidi Vici. Son of Zeus. Brother of Hercules. Father of Aesthetics.
    POWER LEVEL: 116,195

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

You're 16 years old and you use fat burners!?!?!?!?! At that age with the right diet you can shift weight like nobody else. Trust me. And we all like some chick attention which explains the abs 10000000 times a week. Trust me and everyone else on this forum when we say that aint gonna work. Get your diet sorted choose a suitable routine from this website and follow it. With a bit of determination you'll get that dream body of yours, the sixpack and the chicks
    Stats: Bench- 315, Squat- 440, Deadlift- 530, 6'4", 215lbs
    Goals by end of year: Bench- 365, Squat- 500, Deadlift- 600, 6'4", 230lbs

Banned
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

now for my diet
    in the morning im eating 2 full eggs and 2 egg whites with two pieces of brown toast with 100% oj
    afternoon im eating lean chicken with brown rice with 100% oj
    work out
    dinner il have some more lean chicken sometimes some beans and brownrice with again orange juice and ill have 2 raw eggs mixed with oj and have 1 protein shot with 30mg of protein
    Your diet and your workout routine is sh!t. You have zero veggies and zero real fruit. Orange juice, even 100%, is not a substitute for straight up whole fruits. And there are most definitely more fruits than just oranges.

ofcourse il have some healthy snacks in between to boost my metabolism
    Little changes you make like this are not going to do sh!t in terms of stimulating your metabolism. It takes a good bit of time to raise and lower your metabolism to any effective measure.

You should be eating healthy snacks because they are good for you. And judging your from your diet posted, you do not fully understand nutrition and could use to educate yourself a little bit.

and btw im not a beginner ive been working outfor quite a while i just have my periods where i stop for a while il post pics of aswell pretty soon thank you very much
    If you've been following this routine, you are most certainly a beginner. There is a lot more to being developed than just adding some muscle, or definition. With what you have down, I would highly doubt you've made any great progression.

one more thing sorry i dont workout my legs due to the fact i play soccer everyday of the week for a good 2 hours
    Sweet, so I'll stop squatting and play some soccer.

See below...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesmaier View Post
    like previously mentioned, you need a few days rest for muscles to repair...... that also includes abs!!!! if your doing your abs correctly, then you should feel em the next day and really training them again would be overtraining then. unless your not doing abs right?
    Abs are just like every muscle, they need rest and should be trained with weights.

Quote Originally Posted by TBtaylor52 View Post
    .... Still no excuse not to train legs.. Not training legs=Getting half the results. You want big and strong muscles, man up and squat.
    Technically, you are getting less then half of the benefits from your effort. Your not working your legs, so now you're knocking yourself down to half, but there's more... Since you are not doing low volume/high intensity reps on the big 4, especially squats and deads, you're CNS is not making any advancements in terms of efficiency and thus restricting your potential results. You will never achieve what you could if you learn to train correctly. That's all there is to it. And CNS adaptations are also a part of what distinguishes a beginner from the more advanced lifters.

All in all, you need a diet and training overhaul. More importantly, you need to try to educate yourself, and so far it looks like you've made the attempt, but were pushed into the wrong direction. So let me give you a piece of advice; there is a ton of sh!t information out there and its very easy to buy into it because of the way they word things and have misinterpreted data to "back" up their argument. Do yourself a favor by trying to verify the information you read from multiple sources so you can make an educated decision about what is true and what is false.
    Last edited by Mr. Shadow; 10-13-2010 at 08:23 AM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

ok instead of criticizing can you edit/help my routine and diet i didnt post it to get criticized i posted it so "pros" likes yourself can help me out...

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

IMO, the criticisms are valid, and the points previously made should have you looking on this site for nutrition and exercise plans - starting from scratch (an "overhaul" as Shadow puts it).

Can I suggest the Workouts and Nutrition tabs at the top of the page?

Banned
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

At your age, you don't need a diet plan. If you want to get the jump on everyone of your time, just eat clean.

-Make sure the bulk of your food comes from an unprocessed source.
    -Eat your veggies. Try to get 3 servings or more, daily.
    -Eat your fruit. Try to get at least 2 servings.
    -Explore variety; get different kinds of fruit, veggies and meats.
    -Take a multivitamin and fish oil, daily.
    -Drink water.

Having sugary drinks or a beer is fine, but keep in mind that you can easily rack a ton of calories up from drinks. In fact, a very popular way to bulk is by drinking milk - milk is vary calorie dense and has a good serving of protein.

Following this is going to improve your health markers a good deal. And as I stated above, I think you'd be just fine to follow this, and your unwanted weight should come off.

As far as a workout routine; I've said it many times to others and I'll say it to you. Start out with a program called Starting Strength. Follow it until it stops working. Take this time to nail your form on all major lifts and build some serious power. Once you have a solid strength base, you can go in any direction and chances are you'll already have a sizable amount of muscle when you're done with the program and are at an intermediate stage of development.

Look into that program, follow it, eat clean and lift heavy. If you look into the general chat section of this forum, you will see a thread about if we could all go back to the beginning. From what I saw, almost everyone stated they wished they had started with Starting Strength. The program is bulletproof and provides results... And if you don't get results you were either not following the program, or not eating enough.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

im provinding my new workout routine asap please again tell me if its good or bad its only guna be working out 4 days a week 3 oof good enough?

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

SAME EXERCISES AS MY LAST ROUTINE POSTED EARLIER!

monday bicep tricep

tuesday off

wednesday chest

thursday back

friday off

saturday shoulders traps & legs

sunday off

is it fine to go for a light cardio on my off days to burn off the extra fat?
    and for abs should i do them everyother day?

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

:facepalm: