MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Default Full body VS. Split routine for ectomorph

Hello everyone. First time post for me however I have visited the site many times to read all the great info on the forums!

I will try to keep this quick by giving a description of my body type and workout habbits.

I am 24 years old curently about 190lbs. Over the last two years i've gained about 35-45 pounds(45 pounds at my peak, then i cut down a little during summer) taking in about 3500 calories a day. My workouts consisted of various split routines. I tried to change them every couple months or so to shock the muscles. I have had very good results from the split routines up to about 6 months ago. I know i have probably reached a plateo. My current routine is dougs mass building routine for ectomorphs. I have been doing it for about 2 months. I dont have to much of a problem gaining wieght because i've been eatting like crazy, however it just seems like the weight i put on is around the belly and my strength gains are minimal(as of recent).

I have been reading lately that ecomorphs should not even bother with any isolations movements. I have also read that most compounds should be used more then one time a week. So this obveiously means compounds only in a full body routine.

Sorry for rambling.....My ultimate question is should i stick to using different split routines or switch to a full body with compounds? Which is more beneficial to an ectomorph like myself. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Having tried the standard splits, GVT training, Compound only, Cluster sets, HLM Full body, honestly for me the Full body has been the best for both balancing strength and size gains. Its definately worth trying for a Month or two and seeing what you think of it. Everybody is different, it might not work for you, but for me, my strength has gone up massively on most of my lifts, and i am getting bigger cleanly
    Fahrenheit Forum Rep
    Web: FNutrition.com Twitter: @Fahrenheitnutri
    2012:The Recomp Begins - Steve Reeves Classic Full Body Workout & The Lean Gains / IF

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Could you recomened one of the full body workouts on this site that has given you the best results please?

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by jimsize View Post
    Hello everyone. First time post for me however I have visited the site many times to read all the great info on the forums!

I will try to keep this quick by giving a description of my body type and workout habbits.

I am 24 years old curently about 190lbs. Over the last two years i've gained about 35-45 pounds(45 pounds at my peak, then i cut down a little during summer) taking in about 3500 calories a day. My workouts consisted of various split routines. I tried to change them every couple months or so to shock the muscles. I have had very good results from the split routines up to about 6 months ago. I know i have probably reached a plateo. My current routine is dougs mass building routine for ectomorphs. I have been doing it for about 2 months. I dont have to much of a problem gaining wieght because i've been eatting like crazy, however it just seems like the weight i put on is around the belly and my strength gains are minimal(as of recent).

I have been reading lately that ecomorphs should not even bother with any isolations movements. I have also read that most compounds should be used more then one time a week. So this obveiously means compounds only in a full body routine.

Sorry for rambling.....My ultimate question is should i stick to using different split routines or switch to a full body with compounds? Which is more beneficial to an ectomorph like myself. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!
    Your question really depends ultimately upon the person, as everyone is different. Some people have had great gains of full body, others also had great results on split routines. So really, it only depends. Honestly, I think that either one would serve beneficial towards you. As long as your training with progression, your diet's nice a solid, and you have plentiful rest, that you should expect to see gains.

Also, I read that you've been gaining some fat around your stomach. You may want to subtract 100 calories from your current level of calories, and follow a ratio of 30% protein, 50% complex carbohydrates, and 20% of HEALTHY fats!

If you would like more assistance just let me know!

The Beardless One
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Could you recomened one of the full body workouts on this site that has given you the best results please?
    No routine can give you the "best" results following a strict, clean diet and etc. how's your diet?

Banned
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Read this entire article.
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...ous-gains.html

My recomendation would be starting strength tho. Its by Marc Rippetoe

A Day
    Squat (3 sets of 5)
    Bench (3 sets of 5)
    Deadlift (1 set of 5)

B Day
    Squat (3 sets of 5)
    Over Head Press (3 sets of 5)
    Power Clean (5 sets of 3)

Week one- Monday wednesday friday
    ABA
    Week two- Monday wednesday friday
    BAB
    Week three- Monday wednesday friday
    ABA

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

yea i do like that one the best out of the five coach, i'll start it on monday

Banned
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

yea i do like that one the best out of the five coach, i'll start it on monday
    Good sh1t. Start with a little bit lower weight and add 5lbs per workout for squat, 10 for deadlifts, and 5 for bench.

My normal sets of 5 for squat are 250, but i started with 225 and i feel alot stronger! I just did 250 last night and flew through the reps