MEMBER LOGIN

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Can I train my chest today if my arms are sore?

Howdy,

I did my arm routine on Monday (Doug's 5 day cutting program) and legs yesterday. On Monday I was able to up the amount I lift and made some great progress but my arms are still pretty sore today. Is there a downside to working my chest today (which also taxes my arms a fair amount as I am a beginner) if my arms are this sore or would shoulders be better? I could also just do a pure cardio day with some core training if it would be better to wait. I would like to train today and tomorrow though since I will be away from Thursday to Sunday.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

If you think that it is going to significantly impact your workout, then you may be best lightening the load or just putting the chest workout to the next day.
    Soreness doesn't necessarily mean muscles havn't recovered either.
    Consistency is the key

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

If your arm is still sore then by doing chest would you not isolate further your pecs to contract more vigorously and would this not only improve the pec development as well.

With shoulders you really need your arms more rested I feel for the pressing movements really call into your triceps, ie military press. Bench press does call in your triceps but with the arms more fatigued then your chest, your pecs would fire more(call it more isolation). Flies your arms are really not called in to assist with the movement.(-another chest exercise)

Aerobics sure could be added as well.

Just my thoughts
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90)

Größte Mutter im Zimmer Abaddon's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Go for it! If you have to drop the weight, so be it. In my experience, it helps to train these muscle groups in this way, at least for a while.

+reps to yitmy.
    WEST AUSTRALIAN AMATEUR STRONGMAN
    AXLE CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs/ 231 lbs BENCH PRESS: 135 kgs / 298 lbs DEADLIFT: 220 kgs / 485 lbs FARMERS WALK: 240 kgs / 530 lbs, for 50 feet FRONT SQUAT: 100 kgs / 220 lbs KROC ROW: 82.5 kgs / 182 lbs left 5 reps, right 4 reps LOG CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs STANDING OHP: 90 kgs / 198 lbs TYRE FLIP: 260 kgs / 573 lbs, for 100 feet

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by yitmy View Post
    If your arm is still sore then by doing chest would you not isolate further your pecs to contract more vigorously and would this not only improve the pec development as well.

With shoulders you really need your arms more rested I feel for the pressing movements really call into your triceps, ie military press. Bench press does call in your triceps but with the arms more fatigued then your chest, your pecs would fire more(call it more isolation). Flies your arms are really not called in to assist with the movement.(-another chest exercise)

Aerobics sure could be added as well.

Just my thoughts
    Hmmm I suppose you have a point. I have always had a bit of trouble doing my chest as I find it hard to isolate my chest muscles and just end up working my arms. I have tried practicing the form on the exercises but still find it a bit hard to really isolate the chest muscles.

Größte Mutter im Zimmer Abaddon's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lauril86 View Post
    Hmmm I suppose you have a point. I have always had a bit of trouble doing my chest as I find it hard to isolate my chest muscles and just end up working my arms. I have tried practicing the form on the exercises but still find it a bit hard to really isolate the chest muscles.
    You will find the arms are involved in most upper-body exercises. It's natural to feel like you've done an arm workout after doing a chest workout - esp if using free weights.

If you want to maximise the use of you chest muscles, you can't do better than push-ups, followed by flat bench press, followed by incline bench press, followed by pec-dec (if you have one).

My 2 cents
    (I wish I had a pec-dec!)
    WEST AUSTRALIAN AMATEUR STRONGMAN
    AXLE CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs/ 231 lbs BENCH PRESS: 135 kgs / 298 lbs DEADLIFT: 220 kgs / 485 lbs FARMERS WALK: 240 kgs / 530 lbs, for 50 feet FRONT SQUAT: 100 kgs / 220 lbs KROC ROW: 82.5 kgs / 182 lbs left 5 reps, right 4 reps LOG CLEAN-PRESS: 105 kgs STANDING OHP: 90 kgs / 198 lbs TYRE FLIP: 260 kgs / 573 lbs, for 100 feet

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon1 View Post
    You will find the arms are involved in most upper-body exercises. It's natural to feel like you've done an arm workout after doing a chest workout - esp if using free weights.

If you want to maximise the use of you chest muscles, you can't do better than push-ups, followed by flat bench press, followed by incline bench press, followed by pec-dec (if you have one).

My 2 cents
    (I wish I had a pec-dec!)
    Kettlebell flyes are good, apparently

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

I've been doing the same routine and had the same problem. Just moved arms to Sunday and made Monday a Cardio or off day. Though the point about tired triceps isolating the chest more does seem a valid point, it just didn't feel comfortable doing it (did it that way the first few weeks).