MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default I'm getting stronger, but I'm not getting bigger?

First of all, I'm sorry for all the forum post and questions, I think I gave about 6 already, sorry I just have so much questions. But anyway, I just started seriously lifting a month ago due to my new equipment, although I've been lifting for a year. I am getting stronger, but I feel like I'm still not getting bigger and building muscle mass? I'm getting frustrated, I'm using progression in my workout, doing a 3 day total body workout, eating 500 calories above my BMR, etc. Although I don't think I'm following the 30/50/20 percentage of protein, carbohydrates(complex), and fat. I just recently worked out those numbers for my specific self and will be using it soon. But can anyone help? I'm getting really frustrated ?

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Strength and muscle max are not dependent on each other... try upping ur BMR another 200 calories... and def follow the p/c/f split!

Maybe try using a muscle building specific split

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

have you measured yourself? Taken before and after pictures for comparison?
    CWU

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

The diet is importent.... Make sure your hitting your marks on the 30/50/20 PCF ratio...

Also as someone else said add another 100 calories or so untill you are gaining weight each week.....

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Okay thank you guys ! I'll try that. Well I did gain a little weight but I look at myself in the mirror and I look the same ?

Banned
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

What rep ranges are u using?

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

You might look the same because while you put on muscle you have also put on a little fat which makes you lose definition and the less defined you are the smaller you may "seem" or so I would imagine. You may need to give it some time as well, you can't see everything that is going on in your body from the outside. You are getting stronger though so that is a good sign at the very least.

I have no bulking experience though so don't listen to me All I know from my experience is that progress definitely does NOT go on a steady curve all the time. I have gained significant definition within the last 3 weeks and said WTF when I looked in the mirror today even though I have been cutting and lifting heavy for about 9 weeks. One day you may look in the mirror and be surprised

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    What rep ranges are u using?
    I am using the rep ranges of 6-8

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Lauril86 View Post
    You might look the same because while you put on muscle you have also put on a little fat which makes you lose definition and the less defined you are the smaller you may "seem" or so I would imagine. You may need to give it some time as well, you can't see everything that is going on in your body from the outside. You are getting stronger though so that is a good sign at the very least.

I have no bulking experience though so don't listen to me All I know from my experience is that progress definitely does NOT go on a steady curve all the time. I have gained significant definition within the last 3 weeks and said WTF when I looked in the mirror today even though I have been cutting and lifting heavy for about 9 weeks. One day you may look in the mirror and be surprised
    aha okay, I think my problem is that the weights I am doing are to heavy, and my nutrition. but thanks for the help buddy!

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

I started with a beginner strength routine about 5 months ago, and found my strength gains were incredible compared to my physique changes. Over the past 5 months I have seen quite a change in my muscle mass, but it is a slow going process that you just have to be patient with. Eat your face off , and stay motivated.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleMass24 View Post
    Okay thank you guys ! I'll try that. Well I did gain a little weight but I look at myself in the mirror and I look the same ?
    Ah! There's your problem. If you're making progress, it's going to be a little at a time. You're not going to notice muscle growth, unless you're taking the roidz.

It's like watching the grass grow. You need some sort of gauge, be it pictures or anything else.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

aha okay, I think my problem is that the weights I am doing are to heavy, and my nutrition. but thanks for the help buddy!
    How heavy are you lifting?
    There are 2 types of people: those who enjoy learning from others; and those who think they know it all!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by faun2500 View Post
    How heavy are you lifting?
    If lifting weights that are only allowing me to get to the 6-8 rep range.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shadow View Post
    Ah! There's your problem. If you're making progress, it's going to be a little at a time. You're not going to notice muscle growth, unless you're taking the roidz.

It's like watching the grass grow. You need some sort of gauge, be it pictures or anything else.
    alright so just be patient then I guess, thanks bud.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

alright so just be patient then I guess, thanks bud.
    I think what he meant was, you yourself wont really notice much difference as you see yourself every day in the mirror, but yet if you were to have someone who hasn't seen you for a month they would most definitely notice a difference.

so this is why taking pictures is a great way to notice change

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

oh I understand, loll thanks James. And yeah I do take pictures!

Banned
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Yea, ive been lifting for a while now. I still think i look small. Especially in the mirrior. But be aware that psychologically speaking, we compare the size of our body parts to other parts of our body. Also height and body fat percentage change the brains way of looking at ourselves in the mirror. If your training correctly, your chest should be increasing as well as your arms. However, after a while when u dont see your arms getting bigger, its not because there the same size, its because they look the same relevance to your chest because it too has gotten bigger!!

I guess this is hard to put into words, but hopefully you follow me. Theres a huge difference in physique when it comes to looking big, and looking strong. People often overlook this, however if your into finding a good body you will see that there is a HUGE difference. When u increase strength, your muscle fibers become thicker and harder. When u train for size, the fibers simply fill with blood.

I would much rather have a thick, full base then look filled with blood and "rounded". Strength training will give you that athletic look, the look genetically women are more attracted to. However training in the "toning" range will give u something like a hollister model look.

Also know that training in the 6-8 range burns more calories than 12-16 range, simply because of the intensity. Because of this, at a young age like you and me, fat naturally is used during the workout. So if your arms look the same size, just think that its possible that you have been using that fat around that area for energy, and in place of it, muscle has developed.

Keep at it bud! Your strength and physique will sky-rocket in no time!!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Yea, ive been lifting for a while now. I still think i look small. Especially in the mirrior. But be aware that psychologically speaking, we compare the size of our body parts to other parts of our body. Also height and body fat percentage change the brains way of looking at ourselves in the mirror. If your training correctly, your chest should be increasing as well as your arms. However, after a while when u dont see your arms getting bigger, its not because there the same size, its because they look the same relevance to your chest because it too has gotten bigger!!

I guess this is hard to put into words, but hopefully you follow me. Theres a huge difference in physique when it comes to looking big, and looking strong. People often overlook this, however if your into finding a good body you will see that there is a HUGE difference. When u increase strength, your muscle fibers become thicker and harder. When u train for size, the fibers simply fill with blood.

I would much rather have a thick, full base then look filled with blood and "rounded". Strength training will give you that athletic look, the look genetically women are more attracted to. However training in the "toning" range will give u something like a hollister model look.

Also know that training in the 6-8 range burns more calories than 12-16 range, simply because of the intensity. Because of this, at a young age like you and me, fat naturally is used during the workout. So if your arms look the same size, just think that its possible that you have been using that fat around that area for energy, and in place of it, muscle has developed.

Keep at it bud! Your strength and physique will sky-rocket in no time!!
    Thanks man this really helped, and when you said holister look, is that the stronger look you were talking about. And can you be strong and be big . Oh and also Coach, how does this split look to you?

Monday-Chest and Triceps
    Barbell Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press
    Barbell Pullover
    Close Grip Bench Press
    French Press
    Tricepsí Dips

Tuesday-Back and Bicep
    Barbell Bent over row
    Wide grip pull up
    Incline bench barbell row
    Standing barbell curl
    Seated barbell curls

Thursday-Quads and Hamstrings
    Squat
    Front Squat
    Barbell Hack Squat
    Barbell lunge
    Stiff Leg Dead-lifts
    Leg curls

Friday-Shoulders and Calves
    Military Press
    Lying Rear Deltoid Barbell Raise
    Barbell Upright Rows
    Barbell shrugs
    Floor barbell calf raise
    Seated calf raise

**rep+

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight
    • Photos

Body changes take time. Measured in months and years. Don't believe the P90x commercials.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Thanks man this really helped, and when you said holister look, is that the stronger look you were talking about. And can you be strong and be big . Oh and also Coach, how does this split look to you?

Monday-Chest and Triceps
    Barbell Bench Press
    Incline Bench Press
    Barbell Pullover
    Close Grip Bench Press
    French Press
    Triceps’ Dips

Tuesday-Back and Bicep
    Barbell Bent over row
    Wide grip pull up
    Incline bench barbell row
    Standing barbell curl
    Seated barbell curls

Thursday-Quads and Hamstrings
    Squat
    Front Squat
    Barbell Hack Squat
    Barbell lunge
    Stiff Leg Dead-lifts
    Leg curls

Friday-Shoulders and Calves
    Military Press
    Lying Rear Deltoid Barbell Raise
    Barbell Upright Rows
    Barbell shrugs
    Floor barbell calf raise
    Seated calf raise

**rep+
    Id say that the hollister look is more on the blood filled look. But i have seen some genetically good bodies on there. BTW, im only 6'1 170 and 14.5 inch arms bro lol not big at all

1) I would change pullovers to Weighted Chest Dips if u can, unless your a firm believer in them.
    2) Pullups before bent over rows ANY DAY!! Pullups are the width bread and butter!! Also where are your deadlifts? You need thoes 100% without a doubt!
    3) I would do either hammer curls, or concentration curls instead of the sitting curls.
    4) 5 compounds for legs is wayy too much, id say 2-3 a the most and then the leg curls if u still want.
    5) i would do bent over rear delt flys instead, or a rear delt machine or cable.
    6) you have nothing for lateral delts, consider the bulldozer flys that steve has brought to our community.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by shipdadip View Post
    Body changes take time. Measured in months and years. Don't believe the P90x commercials.
    p90x is all based on NOOB gains. Its a great program, but not for people like you and me who train for size and strength.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

p90x is all based on NOOB gains. Its a great program, but not for people like you and me who train for size and strength.
    yeah that's what I think about P90x, I think after your past the beginner stages, the program wont help you much. It looks great though for burning some fat.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Id say that the hollister look is more on the blood filled look. But i have seen some genetically good bodies on there. BTW, im only 6'1 170 and 14.5 inch arms bro lol not big at all

1) I would change pullovers to Weighted Chest Dips if u can, unless your a firm believer in them.
    2) Pullups before bent over rows ANY DAY!! Pullups are the width bread and butter!! Also where are your deadlifts? You need thoes 100% without a doubt!
    3) I would do either hammer curls, or concentration curls instead of the sitting curls.
    4) 5 compounds for legs is wayy too much, id say 2-3 a the most and then the leg curls if u still want.
    5) i would do bent over rear delt flys instead, or a rear delt machine or cable.
    6) you have nothing for lateral delts, consider the bulldozer flys that steve has brought to our community.
    Thanks bro for the help. Its really appreciated!

Banned
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by shipdadip View Post
    Thanks bro for the help. Its really appreciated!
    No problem

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Lose Weight
    • Photos

I have nothing againts P90x it's a great program but no program is going to make a dud into a stud in 30 or 90 days. I think the OP is really just expecting too much too quickly. IMHO he needs to just keep eating right and training hard and the gains will come.