MEMBER LOGIN

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Will Stretching Make You Taller?

Will stretching make you taller? I've read in many websites that you can increase your height by as much as 3 inches through stretching?

Is this true if so how? Thanks.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Yeah to an extent. Your shortest when you go to bed, and tallest when you wake up, basically from gravity. One stretch i do is hang of a bar, and stretch my entire body out, after about 15 seconds my feet are closer to the floor then when i started the stretch. But thats normal, and the height change isnt permanent, it fluctuates within a range.

I believe height is related t your growth plates and as a result genetics. Some things you do can stunt growth, but i dont know of anything to make you taller.

I would be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by terpnation View Post
    Will stretching make you taller? I've read in many websites that you can increase your height by as much as 3 inches through stretching?

Is this true if so how? Thanks.
    As Spartigus states, some of the initial change of height in the daytime is due to gravity compressing the spine. Stretchung can give you the "illusion" of being taller, one because it partially decompresses the spine ane elongates it again, albeit for a short time, but the lasting results from stretching generally come about because people that stretch on a regular basis tend to stand up taller and starighter than a lot of people who don't (generalising here, some people that don't stretch the back/upper body etc will walk tall). A person can easily gain an inch in height just by not slouching when they walk.

Muscles will also look leaner, due to stretching, once again this gives the "illusion" of being taller than you are.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Will deadlifts make u shorter? Or stunted? Random ~
    What can't kill you will only make you stronger

Still learning all about bodybuilding. Sorry for the bad info guys

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Stretching can help if you are in the later years your body becomes more curved falling to the forces of gravity. With muscle strength and flexibility you could alter this and yes become taller long term. Remember though that weight training at that time can help prevent calcium and other mineral losses too which can prevent bony injury from fractures and osteoporosis. Also there was a study out not to long ago that after 20 years of age the average person loses 1 pound of muscle a decade. (I think I got the numbers right) So that could be why we see many elderly folks having great difficulty getting out of chairs or climbing steps. Now I am talking 55+

If you are a younger sort stretching can help again short term as above. But also if you are exercising to early and you injure your bony growth plates this could stunt your growth and lead to shorter stature. Age here is 14-16 and younger.

All the rest of us well be happy who you are and what size you are too. You can alter muscle definition and size and even sexes if you want to go that route, become thin or very heavy. Take up risk factors that can lead to life style changes years later(and sometimes decades). Smoking now could cause oxygen use long term as you age... So how you choose to live is your choice but your body may not grow much more taller or shorter barring injury that is. The ages I speak about here are 20-55.
    A home gym consisting of Bowflex Power-Pro XTL and power blocks(5-90)

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by yitmy View Post
    Stretching can help if you are in the later years your body becomes more curved falling to the forces of gravity. With muscle strength and flexibility you could alter this and yes become taller long term. Remember though that weight training at that time can help prevent calcium and other mineral losses too which can prevent bony injury from fractures and osteoporosis. Also there was a study out not to long ago that after 20 years of age the average person loses 1 pound of muscle a decade. (I think I got the numbers right) So that could be why we see many elderly folks having great difficulty getting out of chairs or climbing steps. Now I am talking 55+

If you are a younger sort stretching can help again short term as above. But also if you are exercising to early and you injure your bony growth plates this could stunt your growth and lead to shorter stature. Age here is 14-16 and younger.

All the rest of us well be happy who you are and what size you are too. You can alter muscle definition and size and even sexes if you want to go that route, become thin or very heavy. Take up risk factors that can lead to life style changes years later(and sometimes decades). Smoking now could cause oxygen use long term as you age... So how you choose to live is your choice but your body may not grow much more taller or shorter barring injury that is. The ages I speak about here are 20-55.
    Thanks for the info mate! Lots of interesting things! Thanks
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by gabwst View Post
    Will deadlifts make u shorter? Or stunted? Random ~
    Working out in general (not just deadlifts) can stunt your growth if you lift too heavy too fast and damage your growth plates.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by darkoblivion View Post
    Working out in general (not just deadlifts) can stunt your growth if you lift too heavy too fast and damage your growth plates.
    This should not be possible for those in their mid 20's? Their growth plates should be fused by this time.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

This should not be possible for those in their mid 20's? Their growth plates should be fused by this time.
    Yeah, Yitmy mentioned that the age group that it is likely to happen is under 16's. You do keep growing till your about 21, but most of that is your clavicles widening and maybe small amounts of height. But past 20's you are well into the good zone

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

yes its true stretching makes you taller , but in case it does not work there are many other ways through which you can grow taller if you are not aware of it then read the following guide in this guide you will get the complte idea and fantastic tips that will help you grow tall.

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-a...s-2406636.html

hope this guide surely help you, if you have something better than this then surely let me know.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ronny17 View Post
    yes its true stretching makes you taller , but in case it does not work there are many other ways through which you can grow taller ...
    What I do is think tall thoughts just before going to sleep. I haven't shrank even once since starting this.
    In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -- Camus
    Height - 5'5" Age - 30
    2010-01-21 : 180 lbs; 2010-05-19 : 158 lbs
    cutting toward goal : 145-150 lbs

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I don't believe any tricks work to make you taller. I believe it's all genetics, sure you can stunt your growth, but I definitely don't think if I stretch I'll become taller. Dad = 5'8" Mom = 5'2", Me = 5'7"

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by darkoblivion View Post
    I don't believe any tricks work to make you taller. I believe it's all genetics, sure you can stunt your growth, but I definitely don't think if I stretch I'll become taller. Dad = 5'8" Mom = 5'2", Me = 5'7"
    Yup

I always say "Height is given, muscle and strength is earned!"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

That guy who linked to the articlesbase article is right. There are actually natural ways to increase your height. To those who don't want to read that whole article, here's the basic jist.

1. Have the right nutrition
    2. Have good posture
    3. Sleep in correct positions
    4. Stretch taller
    5. Do other exercise
    6. Take certain vitamins and minerals

I'll add some information to this discussion by linking to my stretching taller site, where there's a LITTLE bit more detail then there was in that blog... Just if you're interested.

Basically, I've tried it myself, gained a few inches, so... that's my experience.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Stretch taller?

Well I believe that it is short term only. As you hang off a bar you are allowing the discs in your back to unweight themselves and become more hydrated or thicker. By doing this your height increases. But when you stand again the process of compression of the disc matter continues and the inch(or more) that you gained is sadly lost again over time. I do not recall any studies indicating that the process is for long term changes.

There is the possibility though that the loss of disc height that usually occurs with age may be reduced if done on a consistent basis (daily for years). Meaning as your body absorbs the water/fluid between the discs with weight bearing if the discs were say even larger then there is a possibility that one would maintain the height they currently have. I think for this process to be effective you would stretch or hang mid day or slightly later. If you stretch in the morning your discs are already hydrated so no change and if before bed then again no additional weight bearing so the discs would remain the same size.

Special note as we age we can lose range in the shoulders too which could make this process difficult so if you are reading this and unable to lift arms over head, then seek a therapy consult.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Stretch taller?

Well I believe that it is short term only. As you hang off a bar you are allowing the discs in your back to unweight themselves and become more hydrated or thicker. By doing this your height increases. But when you stand again the process of compression of the disc matter continues and the inch(or more) that you gained is sadly lost again over time. I do not recall any studies indicating that the process is for long term changes.

There is the possibility though that the loss of disc height that usually occurs with age may be reduced if done on a consistent basis (daily for years). Meaning as your body absorbs the water/fluid between the discs with weight bearing if the discs were say even larger then there is a possibility that one would maintain the height they currently have. I think for this process to be effective you would stretch or hang mid day or slightly later. If you stretch in the morning your discs are already hydrated so no change and if before bed then again no additional weight bearing so the discs would remain the same size.

Special note as we age we can lose range in the shoulders too which could make this process difficult so if you are reading this and unable to lift arms over head, then seek a therapy consult.
    I reckon when taking our height measurements, we should take them first thing in the morning when we get out of bed, technically when we're at our tallest

Hmmmm

I'm gonna see if I'm an inch taller someday this week; I wonder what bearing that will have on bodyfat percentage calculations?

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

Hmm height in relation to bodyfat......no effect....may seem leaner slightly for a short while though.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Hmm height in relation to bodyfat......no effect....may seem leaner slightly for a short while though.
    Oh, I agree...but when people submit their measurements for Doug's thread, does 1" or so of height make a difference to the outcome...probably minimal, but it's a theory

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Height is in bones, not muscles.

Bones = genes.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

even if you stretch to grow taller, your bones have a limited time of growth. they do stop growing at a certain point. so its not possible to grow taller through stretching, no matter how much GH you produce. its all snake oils and nonsense.

they CAN break your bone and do limb stretching tho, but its painful as hell, from what i hear.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Does that mean if you do deadlifts as a teenager you could be stunting your growth? even if your form is okay?

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by JollaBes View Post
    Stretching is one of the best grow taller exercises around. This is because stretching causes the body to produce human growth hormones called EIGs (exercise induced growth hormones). EIGs result from catecholamines, acid-base balance, nitric oxide, and lactate. Nitric oxide and lactate especially increase height. Human growth hormones harden cartilage, strengthen bones and make you grow taller.
    what if your past 25 and your growth paltes have already fused together, will this still work?