MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Is working out each body part twice a week too much?

I like to do a 3 day split (Chest/Bi's, Shoulders/Legs, Back/Tri's) twice a week. So I am lifting 6 days a week. Am I giving my body enough time to recover? I really like hitting each body part twice a week, instead of just once a week, but I am wondering if I am doing more harm than good.

BGD - Superset Superman muscletrainerdh's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by jmreid8188 View Post
    I like to do a 3 day split (Chest/Bi's, Shoulders/Legs, Back/Tri's) twice a week. So I am lifting 6 days a week. Am I giving my body enough time to recover? I really like hitting each body part twice a week, instead of just once a week, but I am wondering if I am doing more harm than good.
    Well the way you have it set up here, you are going to overtrain the tricep as they get hit indirectly on Chest day and shoulder day and then directly on Tricep day. Then you repeat it. So that's hitting the tricep 6 days in a row.

Doing "More Harm Than good" comes down to results. Have you taken measurements? Pictures? Are you indeed "GROWING" on this routine? (Not just weight on scale but is the circumference around your muscles getting bigger).

Remember you do most of your "GROWING" outside of the gym. Although "The Pump" in the gym feels nice, it doesn't mean you are growing and/or burning fat just because your muscles burn and you are pumped.

You've got to let them recover as well.

Dave
    Last edited by muscletrainerdh; 05-04-2010 at 03:21 PM.
    POWER LEVEL: 54,481

Sarcasm and Cynicism are not helpful or attractive traits, respond to posts as you wish to be responded to.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

You are most likely overtraining. If you don't stop your going to really slow down your growth. You gotta remember less is more when working out. You may be seeing some but you would see a lof better progress sticking to the routine how it is supposed to be done. You muscles don't grow when you are working out they grow when you are resting. I suggest you just switch to a different routine and hit them extra hard the one day you work them. I suggest you read this article: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/art...s-is-more.html

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Dave, I haven't been doing this long enough to say whether I can attribute my gains to it. But yea, hitting triceps everyday is too much.

Darkoblivion, I know that rest is better, but I guess I just feel better in the gym...It's just something I have to get over. What if I did each muscle once, like Chest, Back, Arms, Legs, Shoulders?

Banned
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

If you really want to, you could do this
    Monday: Legs + Shoudlers
    Tuesday: Back n Bis
    Wednesday:
    Thursday: Abs/rest/cardio
    Friday: Legs + Shoudlers
    Sat: Back n Bis
    Sunday: Chest n Tris

But in all honesty, dont do it. 1 day a week is pleanty! MT is corect. You grow outside of the gym not in it. Remember, the gym is only 30% of the game here. Diet and rest make up 70%!

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by BRUIN View Post
    Wednesday:

But in all honesty, dont do it. 1 day a week is pleanty! MT is corect. You grow outside of the gym not in it. Remember, the gym is only 30% of the game here. Diet and rest make up 70%!
    I guess i'm really confused now
    Living Large

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

It's not too much. Research shows that muscles recover withing 48 to 72 hours. But with that said, you have to keep an eye on your overall volume per week.

Most naturals prior to the steroid era trained fullbody, 3 times a week. And they looked amazing!

You can't hit each bodypart with 9 sets, 3 times per week. If you have a reasonable weekly total volume, then all is well.

I made most of my gains on a 3-day on, 1-off. I listened to my body and tweaked the volume. With that said, this probably wasn't the best way for me to train. Usually 3 to 4 days per week is plenty.
    Last edited by Steve; 05-04-2010 at 04:56 PM.
    Big & Strong = Heavy Compounds + Progression + Food

Follow M&S: Facebook Twitter

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by BRUIN View Post
    Wednesday:

agreed. even with the above he'd still be over doing shoulders imo. you're still hitting shoulders pretty good on a chest day so he wouldn't need to essentially do shoulders 3 days a week.

believe me bud i love to be at the gym too but also as mentioned above, its not just about being at the gym--diet and rest just as important. i honestly think if you're lifting for gains, 4 days is a week is good with the right schedule. 5 days a week can be doable if you're going heavy but you have to have a good schedule to let muscles from the previous day(S) recover. If you're going for real gains i just don't see 6 days a week being good for anything but over training and having fun at the gym.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

dude, you've been working out like 4-5 years

if i were you, i'd listen to my body before listening to a bunch of people
    with only a year or so, no offense guys

(ex: all the people with real experience asked questions such as how do you look, what are your gains, or said something like "when I did this"

if you feel good, show gains, and are injury free, then you are probably not doing much wrong

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I've been training since high school, and I'm graduating college now..but only in the last few months have I decided to get serious about it and read through forums like this. I have always done things how I was taught by friends, etc...Even when I train hard and often, I never injure myself, but that doesn't mean I can't be hurting my gains..

Steve, how would you layout a weekly plan for me? like Chest by itself, or paired with tri's etc.?

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I think I'd like to follow this workout from the "Overtraining" article. At least if I weight train 4 days a week I can spend another 2-3 days doing high intensity or high intensity interval cardio.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...t-routine.html

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Hey mate!
    I think thats to much work matey, not enough time to rest.

I get its fun to do upper body lots, so i do whats called an upper/lower split.
    Sunday: Upper Body
    Tuesday: Lower Body
    Thursday: Upper Body

I really like the upper/lower splits because its full of big compound lifts, like squat, power cleans, bench press, ect.

If you want i can post my exercises i do on each day . At the moment, mine is a different to daves upper/lower split, but for about 4 or 5 months i did Daves Upper/Lower split, except leg day 2, i did squats, powercleans, deadlift, calfs and abbs. It was an amazing workout, loved every moment of it and i got some serious gains! You will notice that the workout doesn't have a direct shoulder exercise, and not many sets for triceps and biceps. What i did was implement power cleans into leg day, which i found hit the shoulders as well, without being too intense. Doing flat and inc bench twice a week does lots for shoulders! And your doing plenty of compounds, so your biceps and triceps get a hardcore workout.

I find even weights those 3 days a week gives me a good hard workout, just remember to never waste a set, keep the intensity high and push it to the max!

Note: On my off days i do martial arts and cardio. It ends up being 3 days of weights, 2-3 days of cardio per week. The reason i do cardio is to work my heart, your heart is your engine. You want a beasty v8, not a sissy smart car inside you. Granted that to be a competitive body builder, lots of cardio isnt always the best thing, but im not looking to compete, hence my choice to do cardio.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by sastewart930 View Post
    dude, you've been working out like 4-5 years

if i were you, i'd listen to my body before listening to a bunch of people
    with only a year or so, no offense guys

(ex: all the people with real experience asked questions such as how do you look, what are your gains, or said something like "when I did this"

if you feel good, show gains, and are injury free, then you are probably not doing much wrong
    Absolutely Right on.

JMREID
    Once a week, twice a week, three times, one day rest, no rest, 20 sets per week, 30 sets per day, 6 reps only, 15 reps atleast - all these and more - work differently for everyone.

At 4-5 years experience level - if you've not seen progress with most listed programs, then you come up with such questions. Most ppl would blame the diet.

But the problem is that we ppl don't listen to our bodies - what works for us. We want to just follow printed instructions.

MY First question to you is why do you want to do this twice a week?
    Last edited by ssslayer; 05-05-2010 at 03:22 AM.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

ssslayer,
    I like twice a week more for the fact that I feel like I am working the muscle more. If I did Chest only on Monday's, I just feel like it's not enough to see results when I think I could be doing more. I get anxious to work the muscle again.
    I have never followed a strict plan of doing certain muscles on certain days. Most of my training experience is on my own, and I lift off and on. A problem I have is that I get into a good regime and diet for a few months, then I fall off. I have been doing that for years. But, in the last few months have I gotten really serious about my diet and my workout routine. That is why I am seeking advice on forums like this. I like to see what people generally agree on. And as I have mentioned before, even if I feel good working each muscle twice a week, maybe if I did once a week and gave it more time, I would see better results.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

ssslayer,
    I like twice a week more for the fact that I feel like I am working the muscle more. If I did Chest only on Monday's, I just feel like it's not enough to see results when I think I could be doing more. I get anxious to work the muscle again.
    I have never followed a strict plan of doing certain muscles on certain days. Most of my training experience is on my own, and I lift off and on. A problem I have is that I get into a good regime and diet for a few months, then I fall off. I have been doing that for years. But, in the last few months have I gotten really serious about my diet and my workout routine. That is why I am seeking advice on forums like this. I like to see what people generally agree on. And as I have mentioned before, even if I feel good working each muscle twice a week, maybe if I did once a week and gave it more time, I would see better results.
    You just have to remember muscles repair when you rest, so if you dont give them a chance to rest, they wont grow as much.

You might want to try daves upper/lower split? You work your upper body twice a week, but its done in such a way that you still have time for rest.
    Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

"When in doubt, just get really, really strong. It tends to cure most problems in training and life." - Wendler

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

ssslayer,
    Good.

You know - I was following these "printed workouts" where you do your body part once a week - and lift heavy hardcore. with few variations on those lines - you know for how long?

3-4 years.

And I didn't see much results. Asked here and there (even on this forum) and diet was the one everyone kept blaming.
    All this while I had a feeling that I was undertraining myself, and could hit my body harder and longer - but the printed workouts and "info on internet" forbid all that (overtraining and other stuff).

So I had almost resigned to the fate that probably my body type won't respond to weight training - and is meant more for endurance activities.

Thats when I started varying a little - reducing weight slightly, increasing the sets and reps - doing exercises more frequently, hitting each body part twice a week etc.

And with the same "crap diet" I got some results.

Results = slight loss in body fat, slight increase in muscle mass.

But still it was not significant.

And after all that - I came across a radically different approach to muscle building. Still following it (6 months almost) - and the results have been dramatic.

So its the results that should drive you.
    And you need to experiment a little for that.

Of course you need to follow your "feeling"/intuition to actually check the truth behind.

So don't worry and please try the "twice a week" stuff.
    Last edited by ssslayer; 05-06-2010 at 02:11 AM.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ssslayer View Post
    Good.

You know - I was following these "printed workouts" where you do your body part once a week - and lift heavy hardcore. with few variations on those lines - you know for how long?

3-4 years.

And I didn't see much results. Asked here and there (even on this forum) and diet was the one everyone kept blaming.
    All this while I had a feeling that I was undertraining myself, and could hit my body harder and longer - but the printed workouts and "info on internet" forbid all that (overtraining and other stuff).

So I had almost resigned to the fate that probably my body type won't respond to weight training - and is meant more for endurance activities.

Thats when I started varying a little - reducing weight slightly, increasing the sets and reps - doing exercises more frequently, hitting each body part twice a week etc.

And after all that - I came across a radically different approach to muscle building. Still following it (6 months almost) - and the results have been dramatic.

Of course you need to follow your "feeling"/intuition to actually check the truth behind.

Nice post mate!!! I would rep you if i was allowed to

I like your philosphy, i love training twice a week ! Been doing it since the beginning of the year, was very impressed with the results

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Good.

3-4 years.

Excellent post. Rep.

This is very true with the a lot of discussion forums, and with the internet at large, where a mix of experienced lifters and beginners exchange ideas to archive certain goal. Not all, but most beginners (myself included) will in fact take advice in too easily and pass on the very same advice to another person, and very soon that piece of information magically became a set-to-stone fact that everyone must follow in order to be successful.
    "Bodybuilding isnt a sprint, its a marathon."

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Good.

3-4 years.

I guess i'm wondering what is your radically different approach to muscle building?
    Living Large

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

ssslayer and spartigus,
    Thank you both for your input. I guess it all comes down to what I think I can do and what I think my body can handle. So I think I will continue to do twice a week, and if I feel like that's too much I'll do once a week.
    Thanks guys.

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    I guess i'm wondering what is your radically different approach to muscle building?
    ^^x2

I was going to ask that.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Ssslayer how much do you squat and deadlift?

I merely am curious as to what kind of progressional progress you made during these 3-4 years...

For the record, I am skeptical when I hear "radical approaches". Any approach require a focus on progression. And some approaches work better for others. What radical for you won't work best for me.

But at the end of the day, we still have to get under the bar and move weight. I know plenty of genetically inferior lifters who were relentless and made incredible gains in muscle and strength. It's all about the effort. Effort is first, program is second. Without a good effort, no program will work.
    Last edited by Steve; 05-06-2010 at 12:59 PM.

BGD - Superset Superman muscletrainerdh's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

ssslayer and spartigus,
    Thank you both for your input. I guess it all comes down to what I think I can do and what I think my body can handle. So I think I will continue to do twice a week, and if I feel like that's too much I'll do once a week.
    Thanks guys.
    No, it comes down to RESULTS.

Are your muscles getting bigger, is the measuring tape being stretched.

Be more scientific about it, not so "empathetic". Take actual concrete measures and monitor how your body grows.

People often UNDERTHINK what their body can handle and don't train as effectively as they can. But don't confuse "Training More" for "Traning Effectively".
    POWER LEVEL: 54,481

Sarcasm and Cynicism are not helpful or attractive traits, respond to posts as you wish to be responded to.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

So far, I have gotten good results with twice a week. That's why I'll continue to do so. I wouldn't continue a workout routine if I wasn't seeing any results. My concern was that maybe I could be getting better gains by only doing once a week. So yes, I agree that it comes down to measurements and monitoring my body, but I was curious if I could have been getting better results with once a week.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

So far, I have gotten good results with twice a week. That's why I'll continue to do so. I wouldn't continue a workout routine if I wasn't seeing any results. My concern was that maybe I could be getting better gains by only doing once a week. So yes, I agree that it comes down to measurements and monitoring my body, but I was curious if I could have been getting better results with once a week.
    Only way to tell is to try. Odds are if you're getting good gains with that training frequency, you will get good gains with more rest.