MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

Default Too much protein leads to fat gain?

I have been doing some research and i have read that if you eat too much protein, and you dont use it all, it will just store as fat and for a female you are meant to have 0.75-1g per kg of body weight - which means i would only need 59g max a day - how correct is this?

If this is true then how do you stick to a 30/50/20 ratio? for me to get 30% protein a day, i would at least need 80g if not more. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Blondiechicknz; 03-18-2010 at 09:25 PM.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Photos

if you take too much protein, ya it will become fat.. but most of the extra protein will become urea. but i think you should not be worry since you are working out
    17 year old
    bench press: 50kg
    deadlift: 80kg
    leg press: 120kg

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Blondiechicknz View Post
    I have been doing some research and i have read that if you eat too much protein, and you dont use it all, it will just store as fat and for a female you are meant to have 0.75-1g per kg of body weight - which means i would only need 59g max a day - how correct is this?

If this is true then how do you stick to a 30/50/20 ratio? for me to get 30% protein a day, i would at least need 80g if not more. Thoughts?
    True on the fat gain.
    this is why most buy protein supplements
    One scoop is usually anywhere from 20-25 grams of protein.
    Mix with 1 cup milk - that adds abotu 8 grams.
    4 oz. of chicken breast - about 24 grams
    2 tbsp of peanut butter 8 grams

That's 60 grams and can be done in two meals with one snack - still leaving at least two meals to get the other 20.
    Failure to Plan is Planning to Fail
    What's your plan?
    Yes, I am a Moderator

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Blondiechicknz,

There are no absolute responses to your question. The protein issue has been going back and forth for years and is somewhat unresolved. Athletes need to consume enough protein to spare muscle loss, while still allowing enough carbohydrates to maintain training performance. It becomes a balancing act with "trial and error".

Most strength athletes tend to err on the higher side of 2g/kg. It probably is not going to do any harm, and small differences may add up over the long-term that might not show up in an acute study. How much actual protein is required for the recreational lifter is certainly debatable.

Personally, I think it is better to err on the higher side ~2g/kg, particularly when trying to drop body fat.

Finally, within the context of a well balanced diet, it is excess CALORIES that leads to fat gain.
    Last edited by darshan; 03-18-2010 at 10:58 PM.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by darshan View Post
    Finally, within the context of a well balanced diet, it is excess CALORIES that leads to fat gain.
    This is true and ive got to agree.... Keep you protein up and your calories where they need to be and you will lose weight with a good training routine and cardio, make sure you are eating enought carbs to fuel the workouts, but dont overload on them (some people are carb sensitive and it makes then balloon a bit), just do what is right for you. keeping the protein levels high will not make you fat by itself, it is like Darshan sain the amount of calories consumed against the amount of calories expended that causes fat gain or fat loss

carl.
    power level 70,880

Follow my log... Carl1174 Search for the Ideal

Banned
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

I have a colleague who is a dietician and she is religious about no more than 20-25% of calories coming from protein, whether you are training or not. Every person is different, but as has been noted- it is your total calories that you should look at. Among your macros, protein is the last to be used as energy or stored as fat, as they have to be broken down into individual aminos, then turned to glucose, then used for energy, and finally after all that, may be stored as fat. The processes of glycolysis and lipolysis are easier for the body. -EK

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by darshan View Post
    Agree x10000000, too much anything leads to fat gain........ Its so simple.
    CWU

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

EK, do you follow your freinds advice and have no more than 25% of your calories from protien, or do you follow the 30,50,20 advice given by most on these boards?
    Cheers! Dave

Banned
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

I generally follow 28-30% because, A) as a nutritionist, I am well-versed on the pros and cons, and B) I know my body. Interestingly, until about a year ago, many users of this board still followed a 40/40/20 split, and some still do. -EK

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

For those interested, have a look at the below.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15836464

A lot of epidemiological research looking at protein and food intake. The "protein leverage hypothesis" suggests that the reason most dietary approaches (Zone, Isocaloric, Ketogenic Diet, etc) work is not because they cut out carbohydrates but because they are high in protein.

Simpson, who is a Professor at the School of Biological Sciences, University of Sydney, discovered that locusts move en masse when they detect a protein shortage. The locusts ‘march', eating everything, hoping they'll consume sufficient protein along the way. Such is their hunger, that locusts who do not march soon get cannibalised by others - for protein. Simpson's laboratory studies show that locusts satiated with protein stop swarming and marching.

Simpson has shown that other animals, including humans also have this tightly regulated protein-driven appetite, just like the locusts.

In humans, this can have a devastating effect. He says the person on a modern diet of high carbohydrates and fat, but low protein, is like the swarming locust. They will over-eat until they consume enough protein, just as locusts only stop swarming when their protein intake is satisfied. This is now known as the ‘protein leverage' effect.

Banned
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Anabolic Diet, Keto diet...

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

People are forgetting, all diets work, the reason they all work is to do with a simple equation, "calories in - versus - calories out"

All diets are the same in the end

by Michael Woodhead

Atkins diet? Mediterranean? Vegetarian? All diets give the same results in the long run – a weight loss of about 4kg, a major new study has shown.

Claims that some diets which emphasise particular groups of macronutrients work better than others have not been borne out in a two-year trial of various combinations of high protein, high fat and high carb dietary regimes.

The findings, published today in the NEJM (360: 859), show that most people did well initially, losing an average of 6kg, but then began to regain weight after 12 months.

By two years, weight loss was similar for all dieters, regardless of the levels of protein, fat and carbohydrate in their diet.

There were also no differences in satiety, hunger, satisfaction with the diet, and attendance at group sessions for any of the diets trialled, the prospective study of four different diets in more than 800 overweight people found.

The researchers said few studies of weight loss diets ever went beyond six months, and their findings showed that even well motivated people tended to lose interest in weight-loss programs revert to their customary macronutrient intakes over time “but may nonetheless be able to maintain weight loss.”

They also found no support for the claims that low-carbohydrate or high-protein diets produce increased weight loss in the first few months.

“These divergent results suggest that any type of diet, when taught for the purpose of weight loss with enthusiasm and persistence, can be effective,” they conclude.
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - Gemini Fitness Centre

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Seasoned M&S Veteran BLITZKRIEG's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Bottom line is "Eat How Nature Intended", "Healthy".

I would rather follow a Scientific Diet that is Healthy than just eat anything to have food.

Good find Doug
    "Your Health Is Your Wealth"
    Age 36 Height 5' 7"
    Current (3-1-10) BW 158.5 Lbs BF% 21.4
    Previous (2-11-10) BW 154 Lbs BF% 22.2
    Present Goal: Keep Training

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

The bottom line is adherence. Satiety, hunger and satisfaction is highly individual, and needs to be considered case by case. There is a large body of research that suggests higher protein may help with satiety and spare muscle loss.

As long as the minimum requirements are met (protein spares muscle loss & sufficient essential fatty acids), than add carbohydrates and fats based on your physiology, insulin sensitivity, training goals and personal preferences.

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

For those that aren't aware, high protein is generally considered anything above 20% in the current literature.

For those interested in the research, the top protein researchers are Tipton, Lemon, and Tarnopolsky (~2g/kg for strength athletes).

Other top protein researchers are Phillips and Millward but side on lower protein requirements.
    Last edited by darshan; 03-21-2010 at 09:19 PM.