MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Overtraining - good or bad?

Hi everyone, I'm new. I have a question for y'all.

After hundreds and thousands of research on bodybuilding and lifting, I've concluded that overtraining is bad. But I sat back for a while and thought, "how is it really bad?"

I know that overtraining prevents progress, but what about when I recover? Let's say I do an intense chest workout everyday for 2 weeks straight. Sure, I'll be sore, but my muscles with adapt to endure longer.

Also, when I recover, my chest will have increased in size and strength by a lot, because the muscle fibers stayed open without healing, and my muscles would continue to absorb more and more protein continually, right?

So, I am at a debate with myself, is overtraining really all that bad, or should I completely avoid it?

Thanks for the help.

M&S Elite Member Tatooed Lifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

I would say that from what I have read that your muscle will not grow and can shrink.
    I think my workouts border on overtraining per workout,but then I may miss a workout for a week so no long term overtraining of any given muscle group, not sure if this is anybetter. I feel good about lifting, gain strength, maybe some size also. I would try to stay away from overtraining if you can.
    Tatooed Lifter Age 39~feel much younger
    Maintaining Muscle Trying to Gain Strength
    Current 5'11" 270 lbs BF 28 ish% Intermediate Lifter-->
    --[[[[--------]]]]-- --[]----[]--
    In the fight on my life, against Mother Nature,Father Time,Evil Step Sister Genetics

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Zhinywarrior View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new. I have a question for y'all.

After hundreds and thousands of research on bodybuilding and lifting, I've concluded that overtraining is bad. But I sat back for a while and thought, "how is it really bad?"

I know that overtraining prevents progress, but what about when I recover? Let's say I do an intense chest workout everyday for 2 weeks straight. Sure, I'll be sore, but my muscles with adapt to endure longer.

Also, when I recover, my chest will have increased in size and strength by a lot, because the muscle fibers stayed open without healing, and my muscles would continue to absorb more and more protein continually, right?

So, I am at a debate with myself, is overtraining really all that bad, or should I completely avoid it?

Thanks for the help.
    This is a logical thought.
    But try to think of it this way....energy produces heat much like the stove.
    If your muscle tissue were spaghetti noodles and you kept boiling them, what would happen?
    They would eventually overcook and then turn to mush - right?
    So, in that context, this is what can happen when you keep training the same tissue as you stated. It gets all mushy and may not recover very well.

Now, don't take it as you should never push your self past what you think your normal training limit is...if you believe that is overtraining, it really isn't it. It is increasing your training intensity or volume.

Hope that helps a little.
    Last edited by tadolfi; 12-18-2009 at 08:56 PM.
    Failure to Plan is Planning to Fail
    What's your plan?
    Yes, I am a Moderator

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Don't get intimidated by the word - overtraining.
    Most likely, if you are doing every thing (workout, diet, rest) correctly, you won't even come closer.

So don't be afraid of pushing yourself hard, just because you read about overtraining.