MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default is Whey Protein bad for you?

I just bought some "premium whey protein" from Costco the other day, and since then I've heard multiple opinions from several people. I've talked to a guy who will never use whey protein because it's bad for you (he's extremely healthy, or at least.. in shape) also, i've heard whey protein is bad because your supposed to have a high protein diet without supplements.

i've looked online and i've seen that its good, i've also seen that supposedly its bad for your liver, and or kidney. i've also heard that it CAN be bad for your liver, but your supposed to drink water which takes away the damaging effects on your liver or kidney (whichever).

so what do I believe? is it bad for my liver? is it okay if I use the stuff and just drink a lot of water to save my liver? or do I need to just change my diet around and not use supplements?

i've heard so many different opinions I don't know who to believe. i apologize for putting in so many different variations of what I've been told. whats the truth?

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

Basically every person on this board takes it so I'd think it's fine for you... It's a supplement, which means it's still better to get protein from real food sources, but it's a lot easier to Sup a Whey shake or 2 in a day to get to your protein needs.
    Currently Bulking (1/12/2011 Start Date)
    Current Weight: 197 LBS Height: 6'1 (1/11/2011)
    Weight Goal: Around 210 LBS
    Short Term Goal: Build Muscle
    Long Team Goal: Get RIPPED! and BIG!

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Same

I have heard alot of the same also man, you can google it and get numerous opinions. In most cases I hearethat it is good and I know that it is even used for cancer pateients and older folks who juts want to add some extra protein. I use whey protein and have so for about 10 years. I think that it could be a problem if you consumed to much, I usually take 2-4 shakes a day but only one scoop a shake, sometimes I take two scoops but only twice a day. I try to get plenty of water also and you can even throw in some milk thistle which supports healthy liver function.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

From the information section on this website about Whey Protein:

"Can whey protein harm my kidneys?
    Bodybuilders frequently consume up to 500g of protein per day for months - even years. There is no scientific evidence that this high protein intake causes kidney problems. In other studies, animals with high protein intakes for more than half their lifetime showed no kidney damage1. High protein intake may be hazardous only for individuals with abnormal kidney function or kidney disease. For the disease-free individual, the most serious concern with high protein intake is dehydration, because it takes a lot of water to metabolize protein. This is avoided by drinking 8 or more 8 oz. glasses of water a day. A new study just looked at the effects of a high protein intake on markers of safety in 20 healthy resistance-trained males. The subjects were taking 1.3 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight * 3.6 times greater amount than that recommended by the RDI. After 28 days the researchers concluded that the daily high protein intake had no untoward or negative effects on the immune system, renal and hepatic function nor did it induce ketosis or dehydration, thus it appears safe for short term daily intake.
    "

Unless you are on a huuge calorie diet, it is almost impossible to get your required protein intake from just normal foods. Besides, even if you did, you can never get the same rate and efficiency of absorption that you get from Whey.

And as that chunk of info explains, I really wouldn't worry about any liver/kidney problems unless you already have underlying problems with those organs.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up
    • Photos

Default Answer to question: Is whey protein bad for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdude101 View Post
    I just bought some "premium whey protein" from Costco the other day, and since then I've heard multiple opinions from several people. I've talked to a guy who will never use whey protein because it's bad for you (he's extremely healthy, or at least.. in shape) also, i've heard whey protein is bad because your supposed to have a high protein diet without supplements.

i've looked online and i've seen that its good, i've also seen that supposedly its bad for your liver, and or kidney. i've also heard that it CAN be bad for your liver, but your supposed to drink water which takes away the damaging effects on your liver or kidney (whichever).

so what do I believe? is it bad for my liver? is it okay if I use the stuff and just drink a lot of water to save my liver? or do I need to just change my diet around and not use supplements?

i've heard so many different opinions I don't know who to believe. i apologize for putting in so many different variations of what I've been told. whats the truth?
    Dr. Walter Veith can answer your question regarding whey scientifically. Check out his video "Udderly Amazing"

Check it out on YouTube. There are 8 videos of his one lecture.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I agree with what has been said in here.

Whey is perfectly safe to consume. It's no stimulant, it's no drug, it's no performace enhancer - its simply derived from food.
    Consistency is the key

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Areid1990 View Post
    Basically every person on this board takes it so I'd think it's fine for you... It's a supplement, which means it's still better to get protein from real food sources, but it's a lot easier to Sup a Whey shake or 2 in a day to get to your protein needs.
    My thoughts exactly.
    MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION - Brand Rep

"Your Home for Affordable, High Quality, Nutritional Supplements"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

What about all the additives such as found in body fortress whey protein isolate? Should I get a different brand that contains only whey protein? What kind is recommended?
    Thank you!
    The more I know, the more I know I don't know!

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Al93535 View Post
    What about all the additives such as found in body fortress whey protein isolate? Should I get a different brand that contains only whey protein? What kind is recommended?
    Thank you!
    I've never heard of large amounts of additives used in Body Fortress Whey Isolate. I'm sure a lot of whey powders will have additives to some degree, although they should be absolutely minimal at best from reputable supplement companies.

As for a pure isolate, you could get just as good results from an isolate/concentrate blend ( this will also prove to be much cheaper as-well ).
    If you are looking for a good quality whey, I would definitely check out ON Whey Gold Standard and Scivation Whey.

The store here on M&S has plenty of other great options as-well.
    Consistency is the key

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

This leads to a question I have. I think I have an allergic reaction to whey protein. I started using a casein and whey mix for about a month and started getting a rash on my triceps and calves. I quit using that mix and switched to 100% whey. The rash went away for about two weeks and came back. I have quite using it, but am wondering if I should use soy or wheat protein?

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Scrutiny View Post
    I agree with what has been said in here.

Whey is perfectly safe to consume. It's no stimulant, it's no drug, it's no performace enhancer - its simply derived from food.
    ^^^^
    this

there's nothing more I need to add other than, don't believe every bit of broscience you hear or read, regardless of the source.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Whey protein, not even once.

But in all seriousness, try to stick to only 1 serving a day. It doesn't have all the aminos and vitamins you need, look at it only as a "top up" not as a meal replacement.
    Goal:

700kg (1,543lbs) total

Progress:

0%==========||==========100%