MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Push-Ups while mass gaining?

Trying to gain some muscle mass cause i'm pretty darn skinny. I add push-ups to my routine sometimes. For a while I was doing 200 push-ups a night in sets of 25-30. After doin weights I usaully do sets of push-ups like wide, close, reg. and chair push-ups. By doing this is it gonna stop me from gaining mass?

Oh! and I run a mile or more a night except Sundays and do pull-ups too..
    But I eat ALOT!
    "Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance"

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Have you calculated your bmr and added 500 calories? Are you on a good weight routine?running and doing push ups WILL NOT build muscle, it will only hamper muscle building. How's your diet and routine?
    Current: 180 pounds, 9 % body fat
    Ready for more...
    Goal: 190 pounds and as low fat as possible by school next year

petero11

hypertrophy range is from 8-12 stay within that and you will build muscle ..doing hundreds of pushups will not build muscle

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by icedude2010 View Post
    Have you calculated your bmr and added 500 calories? Are you on a good weight routine?running and doing push ups WILL NOT build muscle, it will only hamper muscle building. How's your diet and routine?
    I haven't calculated my bmr yet. My routine is the Dumbell/Barbell Mass Gain routine from the site. I do my routine to the letter of the law and then add maybe a few other exercises.

Ex. Thursday is Biceps so I would complete that then afterwords say do a barbell hammer curl.. 3 sets, 10 reps. and a certain technique I learned for reg. barbell curls called 21's.. and then some chin-ups. And my diet is okay, I eat alot of protein and carbs. I mix my protein with oatmeal, drink alot of water and milk..

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by JV123 View Post
    I haven't calculated my bmr yet. My routine is the Dumbell/Barbell Mass Gain routine from the site. I do my routine to the letter of the law and then add maybe a few other exercises.

Ex. Thursday is Biceps so I would complete that then afterwords say do a barbell hammer curl.. 3 sets, 10 reps. and a certain technique I learned for reg. barbell curls called 21's.. and then some chin-ups. And my diet is okay, I eat alot of protein and carbs. I mix my protein with oatmeal, drink alot of water and milk..
    Hi mate,

Dont just " add " exercises to the routine you are using, this can easily lead to overtraining.
    Less is more in bodybuilding, follow the routine exactly as it is written, adding things can/will be counterproductive.
    Consistency is the key

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by petero11 View Post
    hypertrophy range is from 8-12 stay within that and you will build muscle ..doing hundreds of pushups will not build muscle
    So your sayin if I do 8-12 push-ups i'll gain muscle??? How many sets? weighted or un-weighted? The only reason I keep up on my push-ups, running, and pull-ups is because i'm planning on joining the military and that stuff is important..

petero11

i dont think you should be using 21s every time you work biceps i think they are meant to shock your bis

8-12 rep range weighted look at the routines on this website for muscle building
    honestly if your doing weight training you will be able to required amount of pull ups push ups for the military
    Last edited by petero11; 08-07-2009 at 05:19 PM.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Scrutiny View Post
    Hi mate,

Dont just " add " exercises to the routine you are using, this can easily lead to overtraining.
    Less is more in bodybuilding, follow the routine exactly as it is written, adding things can/will be counterproductive.
    Sure thing but sometimes it doesn't feel like i've done enough. I'm working hard cause my last rep. is always tough and I keep my form?? what should I do cause sometimes I feel like just going the extra mile makes the difference?

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

So i'll throw doing hundreds of push-ups aside for now until I wanna get ripped, keep doin my pull-ups but what about runnin??? I run often and I take it seriously, I have a good mile time and I don't wanna let that go but I wanna build muscle too... anyway I can keep runnin and gain mass?

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

So i'll throw doing hundreds of push-ups aside for now until I wanna get ripped, keep doin my pull-ups but what about runnin??? I run often and I take it seriously, I have a good mile time and I don't wanna let that go but I wanna build muscle too... anyway I can keep runnin and gain mass?
    If you want to build muscle then no you cant run seriously and look to gain muscle. You'll want to keep cardio to a minimal when bulking. If not then it defeats the purpose.
    Leave for BCT January 5, 2011!!!!!
    Time to kick it in the @$$.

2 weeks left and counting.............................

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by kds48 View Post
    If you want to build muscle then no you cant run seriously and look to gain muscle. You'll want to keep cardio to a minimal when bulking. If not then it defeats the purpose.
    How about when i'm finished bulking? I don't wanna get HUGE! just gain weight and muscle mass.. ya know.. bulk for a little while then get back to doin push-ups, runnin and stuff like that to get the 'ripped' look. And of course i'll keep workin out..

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

How about when i'm finished bulking? I don't wanna get HUGE! just gain weight and muscle mass.. ya know.. bulk for a little while then get back to doin push-ups, runnin and stuff like that to get the 'ripped' look. And of course i'll keep workin out..
    When your cutting, running and pushups are good. But make sure your not overworking your body.
    Started of as a 15 Year Old, 95 Pounds, Around 5'7, Vegetarian trying to bulk up to 135 by 6/1/11

Currently: 123.5 pounds as of 1/17/11

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Like the others have said, the push ups are not necessary.

As far as doing cardio when bulking, I tend to be of the school of thought that it is ok to do some cardio a few times a week. As long as you increase your caloric intake to offset the calories burned when perfroming cardio, you will gain muscle. Furthermore, generally speaking, cardio helps the body work more efficently. Therefore I have never been able to understand why one would want to completely cut it out of there routine.

I would also like to address the post stating that running and push ups are good when cutting. First of all, If you are cutting, you usually want to lift 'heavy' in order to perserve muscle mass. And considering you are only using your bodyweight with push ups, it really isn't a good idea to use them, cutting or not. And running it not the best option for cardio when cutting. Your goal is to cut fat and perserve muscle. LIT or HIIT cardio are going to be better options for attaining that goal, than running.
    "One of the worst things a young lifter can do is take advice from other beginners on message boards they usually have all the advice and none of the experience."
    -Jim Wendler

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Next time please use the search button. Too many posts about push ups.

Push Ups IMHO are useless once you can do 150+. Your just wasting time Doing soo many. More is not better. Follow your routine EXACTLY. Dont add pushups. Pushups are mainly for endurance. Not building mass. Bench press is "the push up" to build mass.
    "The worst thing I could be is just like everyone else."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Age- 16/Ht-5'10/Wt- 205lbs/Bf- 10.4%/Bench-385lbs/Squat-405lbs :]
    Work hard,Sacrifice everything, Keep looking up

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
    Like the others have said, the push ups are not necessary.

As far as doing cardio when bulking, I tend to be of the school of thought that it is ok to do some cardio a few times a week. As long as you increase your caloric intake to offset the calories burned when perfroming cardio, you will gain muscle. Furthermore, generally speaking, cardio helps the body work more efficently. Therefore I have never been able to understand why one would want to completely cut it out of there routine.

I would also like to address the post stating that running and push ups are good when cutting. First of all, If you are cutting, you usually want to lift 'heavy' in order to perserve muscle mass. And considering you are only using your bodyweight with push ups, it really isn't a good idea to use them, cutting or not. And running it not the best option for cardio when cutting. Your goal is to cut fat and perserve muscle. LIT or HIIT cardio are going to be better options for attaining that goal, than running.
    Thanks for all the info

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Contrary to what most of the members believe, as a teen i put on roughly 20lbs of mass from doing pushups and chinups daily in about 8 months. They only worked for a certain extent for me but they were still effective along with me eating alot of foods containing high amounts of protein. My brother also built mass the same way. I speak from experience and not from some theory that I read.The best way to build mass however would be to pick a routine from this site as well as the proper diet
    currently 161lbs with 17.8% BF
    goal 180lbs with 12-15% BF

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by banks8604 View Post
    Contrary to what most of the members believe, as a teen i put on roughly 20lbs of mass from doing pushups and chinups daily in about 8 months. They only worked for a certain extent for me but they were still effective along with me eating alot of foods containing high amounts of protein. My brother also built mass the same way. I speak from experience and not from some theory that I read.The best way to build mass however would be to pick a routine from this site as well as the proper diet
    Considering you were in your teens I would suggest that you "put on roughly 20lbs of mass" due to a natural growth spurt.
    "One of the worst things a young lifter can do is take advice from other beginners on message boards they usually have all the advice and none of the experience."
    -Jim Wendler

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by BigJosh View Post
    Considering you were in your teens I would suggest that you "put on roughly 20lbs of mass" due to a natural growth spurt.
    I always attributed it to my "workout" due to the fact that thats when the mass gain started. I didnt get any taller at all. My biceps, shoulders, back and pecs just kept getting bigger the more I worked them. If I didnt exercise, they wouldnt grow at all. My younger brother was the same way. No height gain just weight gain lol. The OP should pick a routine to develop his whole body though. Dont be like me. My father didnt want us lifting any weights so we didnt. If you have access to a gym, take advantage!!!!
    Last edited by banks8604; 08-08-2009 at 10:11 AM.

petero11

you never got any taller throughout your teens??

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by petero11 View Post
    you never got any taller throughout your teens??
    I've been 5'6" since I was about 12 lol

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

20LBS of muscle gain in 35 weeks is hardly impressive, like others have said i'm sure you would have grown/bulked a bit naturally anyway.

Press-ups aren't going to build much muscle, you need weighted exercises.
    Eat hard, Train hard, Rest, Grow

Add to a persons reputation by clicking on the green cross on the bottom left of the message, if you appreciate their help.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by SIASY View Post
    20LBS of muscle gain in 35 weeks is hardly impressive, like others have said i'm sure you would have grown/bulked a bit naturally anyway.

Press-ups aren't going to build much muscle, you need weighted exercises.
    This is why I stated twice that the OP should pick a routine!!!! I only mentioned my experience because some members believe that you wont have ANY or SMALL GAINS. to me 20lbs on a 5'6" frame should be considered impressive.

Seasoned M&S Veteran BLITZKRIEG's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Welcome to M&S
    "Your Health Is Your Wealth"
    Age 36 Height 5' 7"
    Current (3-1-10) BW 158.5 Lbs BF% 21.4
    Previous (2-11-10) BW 154 Lbs BF% 22.2
    Present Goal: Keep Training

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by BLITZKRIEG View Post
    Welcome to M&S
    The forum where "Everyone is Right"

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Ok

The routine (in your 1st post) is no good at all.

If you want to build muscle you need to stay inside the rep ranges of about 8 - 12, so if your working out at home, have someone sit on you while doing those push ups, or hold heavy bags on or something, and stick to higher weights and lower reps.

I personally have written my own routine, this took a lot of "revising" so to speak, I looked through forum's and online blogs and discussion groups etc, and looked at technique and what possitions work what muscle group. For example, an EZ bar does not work your biceps as much as a straight bar.

Right a few little questions for you.

1. You might eat a lot, but what are you eating?

2. Do you access to a gym? You'll get far better results with some proper equipment.

3. Be honest here, do you know anything about building muscle? because its not as simple as doing push ups and pull ups every night.

--Chips13p--
    Pain is perceptive and can be blocked out with enough concentration. Block it out, and that extra rep or two won't be an issue.