Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

Question Doug's 4 Day Split for Ectomorph

Hey Guys

This is my first post on M&S. Based on doug's article, I have identified myself as an Ectomorph. One of the things that I have read that Ectomorph's should avoid all isolation exercises. Can someone please tell me if there are any Isolation exercises in Doug's 4 day split regime? If so, Can you please suggest an alternate exercise for that body part?

Another problem, I have is that, my left bicep is smaller and weaker than my right Hence I find it difficult to complete the reps when I use my left arm. Any tips?

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ajitmoses View Post
    Hey Guys

This is my first post on M&S. Based on doug's article, I have identified myself as an Ectomorph. One of the things that I have read that Ectomorph's should avoid all isolation exercises. Can someone please tell me if there are any Isolation exercises in Doug's 4 day split regime? If so, Can you please suggest an alternate exercise for that body part?

Another problem, I have is that, my left bicep is smaller and weaker than my right Hence I find it difficult to complete the reps when I use my left arm. Any tips?
    Hi mate,

At your experience level you shouldn't be using that workout in the first place.
    The workout is for intermediate trainers with a good deal of experience.

The guidelines are pointing to compound exercises, as these are the main muscle builders in a routine.
    Isolations do have their part in a routine, but compounds should be the main focus, as they work multiple muscles at a time and can allow for the maximum weight lifted.

It doesn't mean you cut out all isolation exercises, but instead look towards the bigger exercises ( compounds ) such as the Bench press, Rows, Squats, Presses, Deadlifts etc.

It is common to have a dominant or a bigger arm than the other.
    Poor form can lead to this, as you are placing the main emphasis on the stronger arm to lift the weight/finish the reps.

Always work both arms with the same amount of weight, otherwise the problem will persist.
    Try exercises that make both the arms work evenly, without resorting to your stronger arm taking the load, this is where dumbell work is great.
    Consistency is the key

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Scrutiny View Post
    Hi mate,

At your experience level you shouldn't be using that workout in the first place.
    The workout is for intermediate trainers with a good deal of experience.

The guidelines are pointing to compound exercises, as these are the main muscle builders in a routine.
    Isolations do have their part in a routine, but compounds should be the main focus, as they work multiple muscles at a time and can allow for the maximum weight lifted.

It doesn't mean you cut out all isolation exercises, but instead look towards the bigger exercises ( compounds ) such as the Bench press, Rows, Squats, Presses, Deadlifts etc.

It is common to have a dominant or a bigger arm than the other.
    Poor form can lead to this, as you are placing the main emphasis on the stronger arm to lift the weight/finish the reps.

Always work both arms with the same amount of weight, otherwise the problem will persist.
    Try exercises that make both the arms work evenly, without resorting to your stronger arm taking the load, this is where dumbell work is great.

Hey Mate

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. Well I took the intermediate level because, I have been weight training for about 6 months now but it has been very basic. I have been doing whole body workouts and upper body and lower body workouts. Just that I have not been doing it regularly. I have also been doing Damien Mase's 3 day beginner work out for a month now and I thought it is time for me to graduate to a split pattern.

Thanks again for your neat reply.