MEMBER LOGIN

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      20
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      State College
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      6

    Question Eating After Whey Protein Shake

    I'm currently trying to build lean muscle. My only concern is gaining that belly back, which I worked hard to get rid of. I eat correctly, 5-6 healthy and protein enriched meals per day. I typically finish my workout at 6PM and consume two scoops of whey with 16oz of milk directly after. I try to eat every 2-3 hours, typically closer to three. I was wondering how long one should wait to eat a meal after consuming their protein shake? Should I treat this as a meal and wait until 8:30 - 9:00 to eat my next meal or could I consume a meal around 7:30-8:00? I've read that extra calories, good nor bad, turn into fat if the body cannot use them correctly. Thanks in advance for the help.

    Brandon

  2. #2
    M&S Elite Member icedude2010's Avatar
    • Join Date
      May 2009
    • Posts
      1,149
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Indianapolis
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      900
    • Rep Power
      20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyer View Post
    I'm currently trying to build lean muscle. My only concern is gaining that belly back, which I worked hard to get rid of. I eat correctly, 5-6 healthy and protein enriched meals per day. I typically finish my workout at 6PM and consume two scoops of whey with 16oz of milk directly after. I try to eat every 2-3 hours, typically closer to three. I was wondering how long one should wait to eat a meal after consuming their protein shake? Should I treat this as a meal and wait until 8:30 - 9:00 to eat my next meal or could I consume a meal around 7:30-8:00? I've read that extra calories, good nor bad, turn into fat if the body cannot use them correctly. Thanks in advance for the help.

    Brandon
    1) take your PWO shake with water to help speed absorption
    2) I would eat at 7:30ish. The protein shake just replenishes you after your workout, it isn't really a surplus, if you know what I mean.
    Current: 180 pounds, 9 % body fat
    Ready for more...
    Goal: 190 pounds and as low fat as possible by school next year

  3. #3
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      20
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      State College
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      6

    Default

    I never thought twice about mixing milk and whey... I assume the milk slows down the whey by greating a gel in your stomache somewhat? How significant is the decrease in abosrbtion?

    Also, I know you're supposed to eat every 2-3 hours.. How long does digestion take? Wouldn't eating a meal after 90 minutes of consuming a shake be too soon, possibily resulting in the extra calories to be converted to fat?

    Thanks again

  4. #4
    M&S Power User Henry19's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Feb 2009
    • Posts
      1,537
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      NJ
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      5,924,307
    • Rep Power
      59,256

    Default

    Milk and whey are only good for right before bed. After your workout you definitely want water and whey for faster absorption like icedude said. Water absorbs faster because milk has a reverse affect on your body and slows down your metabolism. In terms of you post workout meal you should consume it in the range of 45-90 minutes after your workout. I generally leave it up to my body to tell me when it wants food
    Progression over regression

    "I would learn that in each of us there is a flame that must never be allowed to go out. That as long as it burns within us, we cannot be destroyed"
    -The Power of One

    October 2012 Member of the Month

  5. #5
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jul 2009
    • Posts
      20
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      State College
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      6

    Default

    So, say I finish my workout at 6 and consume whey immediately. I then eat around 7, which suggests I should eat again around 10. If I go to bed around 1130-12 and drink casein protein beforehand (w/ milk) is this too close to the last meal? Or is the last meal too close to bed? I afraid of putting on fat rather than lean muscle.

    Also, what about on non-workout days when you consume whey in the morning? Would it be beneficial to take this with water too or would you want to use milk?
    Last edited by Schmoyer; 07-15-2009 at 02:21 PM.

  6. #6
    Coming Up The Ranks GoodForm's Avatar
    • Join Date
      May 2009
    • Posts
      61
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      Northeast PA, USA
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      6

    Default

    I take it with water in the morning also since the body has been "deprived" of nutrition during the sleeping hours, so I use water to get a quick uptake of the whey.

    Before bed, I use fat-free milk and casein - a slower digesting protein - through the night.
    Age: 46
    Height: 5'-9"
    Weight: 173 Lbs.
    B.F.% : 17ish

  7. #7
    Regular Poster Carlosrc007's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jun 2008
    • Posts
      375
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      USA
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      109
    • Rep Power
      9

    Default

    Dont stress yourself out too much... One of my friends eats doritos and Jack In The Box at night and he has a hell of a physique... Im not saying or encoring you to do so, just take it easy...
    Current Weight : 143lbs
    Height: 5'11"
    Age: 19
    Body Fat Mass Index: 12.9%
    Goal: Gain muscle(bulk up)

  8. #8
    Trusted Advisor Doug's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2006
    • Posts
      31,488
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      118,501,591
    • Rep Power
      1,185,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlosrc007 View Post
    Dont stress yourself out too much... One of my friends eats doritos and Jack In The Box at night and he has a hell of a physique... Im not saying or encoring you to do so, just take it easy...
    He will gradually put fat on, the time that he notices the gain in fat will mean the harder it is to get off. Most people think that they can eat what they want when they are young, but then continue to do the same as they get older, until the time that the fat starts getting stored, then panic starts setting in. Thats when they start training, if it was easy to get rid of the fat I would be out of business and a job..
    Doug

    Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

    * My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

    * My fitness Centre Site - Gemini Fitness Centre

    * My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

    "You can't out-train a lousy diet"

  9. #9
    Trusted Advisor Doug's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2006
    • Posts
      31,488
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      118,501,591
    • Rep Power
      1,185,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schmoyer View Post

    Wouldn't eating a meal after 90 minutes of consuming a shake be too soon, possibily resulting in the extra calories to be converted to fat?

    Thanks again
    Dont get fat phobic, to gain muscle you have to eat more calories than the body burns off. A protein shake is digested in approx 1 hr, a solid meal depending on the meal content can take 3-4 hrs for digestion
    Doug

    Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

    * My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

    * My fitness Centre Site - Gemini Fitness Centre

    * My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

    "You can't out-train a lousy diet"

  10. #10
    Regular Poster Carlosrc007's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jun 2008
    • Posts
      375
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      USA
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      109
    • Rep Power
      9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    He will gradually put fat on, the time that he notices the gain in fat will mean the harder it is to get off. Most people think that they can eat what they want when they are young, but then continue to do the same as they get older, until the time that the fat starts getting stored, then panic starts setting in. Thats when they start training, if it was easy to get rid of the fat I would be out of business and a job..
    Exactly.
    See he is too sloppy about what he eats... My point is dont be TOO SLOPPY and dont be TOO STRICT. Stressing yourself out is no good. Less Stress More Muscle
    :]
    Current Weight : 143lbs
    Height: 5'11"
    Age: 19
    Body Fat Mass Index: 12.9%
    Goal: Gain muscle(bulk up)

  11. #11
    Regular Poster Carlosrc007's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jun 2008
    • Posts
      375
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      USA
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      109
    • Rep Power
      9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Dont get fat phobic, to gain muscle you have to eat more calories than the body burns off. A protein shake is digested in approx 1 hr, a solid meal depending on the meal content can take 3-4 hrs for digestion
    So why you take a protein shake 30 minutes before your workout? (Optional)
    Current Weight : 143lbs
    Height: 5'11"
    Age: 19
    Body Fat Mass Index: 12.9%
    Goal: Gain muscle(bulk up)

  12. #12
    Trusted Advisor Doug's Avatar
    • Join Date
      Jul 2006
    • Posts
      31,488
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      UK
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      118,501,591
    • Rep Power
      1,185,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carlosrc007 View Post
    So why you take a protein shake 30 minutes before your workout? (Optional)
    Provides nutrients while you are training. Training increases blood flow to the muscle being trained. Amino acids from the drink is sent to the muscle along with the blood which in turn reduces the chance of the body breaking down muscle tissue for energy
    Doug

    Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

    * My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

    * My fitness Centre Site - Gemini Fitness Centre

    * My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

    "You can't out-train a lousy diet"

  13. #13
    Just joined M&S
    • Join Date
      Jan 2010
    • Posts
      1
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Gender
      Male
    • Location
      california
    • Photos
    • Reputation
      10
    • Rep Power
      0

    Default

    It is good to take protein before and after a workout. During the 3 hours after your workout is important. This is when your muscles are i great need of protein and makes the maximum use of them. I recommend a fast acting protein such as whey.
    .

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. whey protein shake
    By jas594 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 04:00 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 03:38 AM
  3. eating steak instead of a protein shake
    By acchoi in forum Muscle Building Workouts & Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 08:33 AM
  4. Whey protein shake with SOY milk
    By yannick35 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2009, 05:37 AM
  5. Whey vs Soy Protein Shake
    By MinimusMaximus in forum Supplements
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-22-2009, 08:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Follow M&S
Contact Us

Muscle & Strength, LLC
1118 First Street South
Columbia, SC 29209
PH: 1-800-537-9910
Email: click here

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
© Copyright 2013, Muscle & Strength LLC. Images copyright of their respective owners. Contact Us | Affiliate Program | Terms of Use