MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Pain when doing lateral raises

I have been doing so lateral raises and I have noticed some pain between my front and side delts. It is right around where the meet. It normally starts when I do around 10-15 pounds. It is not a terrible pain. It is bearable but it does hurt. Enough to make me only want to do about 5 pounds or less. When I do 5 pounds on each arm it doesn't hurt. I had started to do rotater cuff exercises and have noticed after I do it that the pain is less if I do those then go do the lateral raises. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for fix this problem. Or if i should continue to do the cuff exercises and/or light weight(2lb maybe) high rep to help correct this problem. There is no popping or grinding noise. Just pain. It is in my right shoulder
    Thanks
    Last edited by BeefCake; 06-27-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by BeefCake View Post
    I have been doing so lateral raises and I have noticed some pain between my front and side delts. It is right around where the meet. It normally starts when I do around 10-15 pounds. It is not a terrible pain. It is bearable but it does hurt. Enough to make me only want to do about 5 pounds or less. When I do 5 pounds on each arm it doesn't hurt. I had started to do rotater cuff exercises and have noticed after I do it that the pain is less if I do those then go do the lateral raises. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for fix this problem. Or if i should continue to do the cuff exercises and/or light weight(2lb maybe) high rep to help correct this problem. There is no popping or grinding noise. Just pain. It is in my right shoulder
    Thanks
    Does it hurt when your arm is completely straight when doing the raises?

If I had to guess your teres minor's ligament is slightly inflamed/bruised. When you do a lateral raise with your arm slightly bent the teres minor gets slightly stretched. See if the pain is replicated when you stretch the teres minor. When sitting down raise your arm to the side then bend the elbow to 90 degrees. Rotate your arm naturally as far as you can internally (if you were to do this with both your arms it would look like the beginning part of a scarecrow exercise). When at the max point take your other arm and lightly push downward on your hand while keeping your elbow raised.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Only when I am raising the weight. I do feel a little something when I do that. I did it on both arms and It felt different on my right arm than my left. It was not like the pain I feel when I do the raises but it felt weird, weird as in different than when I did the stretch on my left arm.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Wait, it only hurts during the concentric portion of the exercise? What if you hold your arm out and someone forces your arm to your side while you resist as hard as you can?