MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default creatine and kidney stones?

anybody who has been taking creatine for a while suffer from kidney stones? i heard that creatine used over a longer time period(3-5 yrs) can lead to kidney stones. no studies or anything that prove it(that i know of), im just curious if anyone here has. thanks

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

First time I've ever heard of it. Kidney stones I believe are just calcium deposits in your kidneys?
    You're the only one holding you back.

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log
    • Photos

i never heard of that, there are alot of things that can cause stones, mostly with diet and lack of water intake, but i had or have some, family inheritance, never saw creatine on the list. i'm not saying that it's totally bull, but i woyld say that buy now users of creatine would have heard something.
    oh and if that's your dog, cool. what is he or she, husky mix?
    The 2nd Amendment.... A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    June 2012 Log of the Month

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

eknight posted something a while back that said that creatine in teenagers has been linked to kidney problems

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

it can happen, but you really need to have a prehistory / family history for kidney problems, even then its not every time.

If you don't have a history of problems and you drink enough water you should be fine.
    Fahrenheit Forum Rep
    Web: FNutrition.com Twitter: @Fahrenheitnutri
    2012:The Recomp Begins - Steve Reeves Classic Full Body Workout & The Lean Gains / IF

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by BolanRox View Post
    it can happen, but you really need to have a prehistory / family history for kidney problems, even then its not every time.

If you don't have a history of problems and you drink enough water you should be fine.
    Pretty much sums it up, if you are suseptible to kidney stones you shudnt supplement with creatine.
    **30 day no fap challenge** Join me brothers!

muscleandstrength.com/forum/general-chat/68685-does-no-fap-work.html

I train to be an athlete not a bodybuilder

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by hunterace View Post
    i never heard of that, there are alot of things that can cause stones, mostly with diet and lack of water intake, but i had or have some, family inheritance, never saw creatine on the list. i'm not saying that it's totally bull, but i woyld say that buy now users of creatine would have heard something.
    oh and if that's your dog, cool. what is he or she, husky mix?
    Yea that's what I figured too. That's my dog, I think he's a mix half wolf. I'm not 100% sure but the vet says it's likely. He's got monstrous paws and huuuge chest and jus much bigger in general. Got him from an animal shelter tho as a puppy so I'll never really know

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ekko View Post
    anybody who has been taking creatine for a while suffer from kidney stones? i heard that creatine used over a longer time period(3-5 yrs) can lead to kidney stones. no studies or anything that prove it(that i know of), im just curious if anyone here has. thanks
    Actually, it's pretty much the opposite.... I started getting kidney stones at age 17 and had my last one at age 26... Many things can cause them, calcium build up, uric acid, too much iron in your diet, body doesn't produce certain enzymes, etc... Basically what it comes down to is that as long as you are properly hydrated and exercise regularly, you should be alright... granted there are some people who have a genetic predisposition for them, but all in all, good hydration is the key.
    Since most people who use creatine are more concerned about their health than those who don't, it stands to reason that creatine users don't get them as often.
    Since my last stone, I've been using creatine, I go back to the urologist on occasion for checkups and xrays and whatnot, but haven't formed any more.... the key is hydration...
    "Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit. Give everything you got today for tomorrow may never come."
    Dan Gable

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by scorpionusa View Post
    Actually, it's pretty much the opposite.... I started getting kidney stones at age 17 and had my last one at age 26... Many things can cause them, calcium build up, uric acid, too much iron in your diet, body doesn't produce certain enzymes, etc... Basically what it comes down to is that as long as you are properly hydrated and exercise regularly, you should be alright... granted there are some people who have a genetic predisposition for them, but all in all, good hydration is the key.
    Since most people who use creatine are more concerned about their health than those who don't, it stands to reason that creatine users don't get them as often.
    Since my last stone, I've been using creatine, I go back to the urologist on occasion for checkups and xrays and whatnot, but haven't formed any more.... the key is hydration...
    thats good to hear, i had some, but i still want to take creatine so that relaxes me some, cause passing them sucks as you may know
    The 2nd Amendment.... A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
    June 2012 Log of the Month

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by hunterace View Post
    thats good to hear, i had some, but i still want to take creatine so that relaxes me some, cause passing them sucks as you may know
    it does suck, but the worst is when they give you a foley catheter to remove them... THAT sucks...
    "Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit. Give everything you got today for tomorrow may never come."
    Dan Gable

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I'm 25 years old. I take 1 pill of 1500mg everyday, no loading phases, i have about 2 months since i've started taking it. Should i be worried? Last summer i had an eco and it showed no stones. Should i take a brake from time to time? I take creatine every day no matter if i train or not in that day, should i take it only on training days? Back in 2003 i never used creatine just gainers without creatine. I found something which freaked me out instantly: http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/creatine.html
    Last edited by cezarica; 10-05-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    Glad 2 be back to BodyBuilding after 8 years

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

why would that article have freaked you out?

the only negative side effects it lists are anecdotal, which the article even admits too right away.
    Current Supps: Controlled Labs Orange Triad, NOW Foods Ultra Omega-3, EvoMuse: Gut Health

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

1.5 grams is hardly enough to elicit any effect at all

recommendations are in the 3-5 grams per day range

strong bump
    Last edited by dday39; 10-05-2011 at 04:43 PM.

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

It freaked me out because of the side effects written there.

Yes, the label says 3 pills a day = 4,5g. I take 1 pill and in a month i managed to gain a few pounds, i don't know if it's the creatine or the fact i quit drinking alchool at all. I'm going good it's all good thanks God for that!

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Best way to prevent kidney stones is to have a week or two break in the use of creatine if you are planning on using it for a long term supplement, I normally do 6 week on one week off and drink a lot of water and train hard.

RESULTS TAKE EFFORT AND DEDICATION. IF YOU DON'T HAVE PROPER EXERCISE AND NUTRITION HABITS, SUPPLEMENTS WON'T DO ANYTHING FOR YOU.......

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Thanks, and creatine should be administered every day, no matter if u train or not on that day, right? I only train 3 days a week.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

You need to be consistent with your creatine in take, you still need to take it on your off days.

RESULTS TAKE EFFORT AND DEDICATION. IF YOU DON'T HAVE PROPER EXERCISE AND NUTRITION HABITS, SUPPLEMENTS WON'T DO ANYTHING FOR YOU.......

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Hi there:
    I am glad I found this thread, I am considering taking creatine to give a very much need boost to my muscles but I have history of kidney stones and I was having second thoughts.I want so much for my muscles to grow a little more, I am a hard gainer and i'm not seeing changes anymore.What advise can you give me when taking creatine?

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by dyelove View Post
    Hi there:
    I am glad I found this thread, I am considering taking creatine to give a very much need boost to my muscles but I have history of kidney stones and I was having second thoughts.I want so much for my muscles to grow a little more, I am a hard gainer and i'm not seeing changes anymore.What advise can you give me when taking creatine?
    Stay hydrated.

You need to drink more water than normal while taking creatine. You should be drinking more water anyway for muscle health and overall toxic cleansing and so on...
    What is cardio? --- http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/78127-Cardio-What-is-it?highlight=

Bodyspace --- http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/JBWarren70/

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by ekko View Post
    There is no problem if you stick to the recommended intake per day
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - Gemini Fitness Centre

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Thank you guys for the advise,I had asked the kidney dr and he said he would not recommend it, but I still would like to try it, I have read and I havent found any negative thing about it , I do have to work on my recommended daily water intake skills, I am bad at that.Do you recommend any brand in particular?

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Hi there:
    Thank you guys for the advise,I had asked the kidney dr and he said he would not recommend it, but I still would like to try it, I have read and I havent found any negative thing about it , I do have to work on my recommended daily water intake skills, I am bad at that.Do you recommend any brand in particular?
    A history of kidney stones and your doc recommended against it but you still want suggestions. I don't use the stuff, so can't recommend but just find it odd that you'd still want to try it considering the circumstances and the nephrologist's advice.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

I see your point and that's why I was having second thoughts about it.My hx of stones was an episode i had 2 years ago.My dr is a little hard to speak with and he just said no without offering a rationale.I am a kind of person that likes to know the why of everything, it is hard to be compliant when you dont know the science behind it ,even if it seems obvious.I want to ask another dr's opinion before I do anything but it is great to hear personally from people who use it.

M&S Power User
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Never heard Of this. You got me when you said there were no studies about this. That's the key there. You really have to support an argument with evidence. That's they only way it will stand. I don't think it can happen if you drink enough water. That's the key to anything. Make sure your getting in 8-10 glasses per day and you will be fine.
    MUSCLE GAUGE NUTRITION - Brand Rep

"Your Home for Affordable, High Quality, Nutritional Supplements"

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Creatine is not recommended for people who have an impaired kidney function or are on medications that affect kidney function.

(according to the label on my container)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/45...-side-effects/
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/76013-Mike-s-Training-Journal

52 years old
    5'8" 180lbs
    Neck 17.5"
    Chest 46.5"
    Waist 35"
    Biceps 15"
    Forearms 13"
    Wrist 7.25"
    Thighs 23"
    Calf 16"
    Body Fat Percentage: 16.5%
    Daily Calorie Goal: 3250

My 6 day routine is adapted from this routine: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/old-school-series-1970s-bodybuilding-routine
    Carb Back Loading Diet for hard gainers: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/carb-backloading-diet-hardgainers