MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Default What's the difference between Muscle workouts and strength workouts?

I know this is probably a stupid question, but what is the difference between a muscle building workout and a strength workout. If you go to the workout page on this site it has both.

Initially I would think that as your muscle size increases, your strength would naturally increase as it grows.

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Phatferd View Post
    I know this is probably a stupid question, but what is the difference between a muscle building workout and a strength workout. If you go to the workout page on this site it has both.

Initially I would think that as your muscle size increases, your strength would naturally increase as it grows.
    Muscle building's main goals are muscle size, symmetry and proportion. The weight used in a muscle building workout are just the means to an end. The main goals in strength training are conditioning the joints and central nervous system to move heavy weight. Think about someone competing in Mr. Olympia vs some who is competing in a powerlifting competition. Completely different goals. Of course, you can gain size on a strength routine as well as gain strength on a muscle building routine, but it's not the main focus of what you're trying to achieve.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Yep, Reevet has summed it up pretty good.

Here are some of the differences:

Strength
    Reps- 1-6
    Sets- 5+
    Rest- 2-5mins.

Muscle Building:
    Reps- 6-12
    Sets- 3-5
    Rest- 1-2mins

As the above said with strength training heavier weights are used, but remember that even while training strength will you grab some size, but just not as much as a muscle building routine will give.

And yes as your muscle size increases you will gain strength, But not as much strength as a strength routine can give. See those differences? A strength routine might give you a 2:1 ratio of strength to size, where a muscle size routine can give you a 2:1 ratio of Muscle to Strength
    Consistency is the key

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Can you mix muscle and strength workouts to get the best of both worlds? Say one week strength and the next week muscle, to get size and strength gains.
    Expect my visit when the darkness comes. The night I think is best for hiding all.
    ~Ouallada

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by BigMan View Post
    Can you mix muscle and strength workouts to get the best of both worlds? Say one week strength and the next week muscle, to get size and strength gains.
    IMO it is really only going to be effective if you do one or the other. There is routines that deal with periodization, but I'm personally not that familiar with them. To me it is the most efficent and effective to do, for example, 8 weeks of muslce building training, and then 8 weeks of strength training.
    "One of the worst things a young lifter can do is take advice from other beginners on message boards they usually have all the advice and none of the experience."
    -Jim Wendler

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Damn ... you guys got there before my famous strength vs muscle post ...lmao
    Bench - 231lbs x 5, Squats - 264lbs x 5, Deadlift - 363lbs x 5 Power Clean - 187lb x 5, Pull ups - BW + 44lbs x 5, Dips - BW + 66lbs x 5, Miltary Press - 143lbs x 5

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Periodization is where you alternate your goals so if muscle, strength and power were goals you do eg X weeks muscle building routine and X weeks strength building followed by X weeks power training..

However, i know some people do a routine where they do certain body parts muscle building and certain parts strength training, they seem to think it works for them. Personally i have never tried it.

However, I will offer from my own experiences that following a strength routine, you need to hit lifts ( and I prefer to class it by lifts rather than body areas, I dont think you train strength by body part but rather by lift, you gaining strength by being able to lift more rather than making the chest stronger ) more than once a week. I have found that 3 times a week is the most effective way of strength training. It gets more complicated than just doing a lift 3times a week, because you cycle you ficus during the week, going heavier some days than others.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.
    - Archie Griffen

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your help.

I am going to tryout for the Police Academy in about 18-24 months and I want to get into the best shape possible. I'm thinking after my beginner program I am going to phase my routines between: Endurance, Strength, and Muscle. I want to get bigger as well just for the intimidation factor, however, strength and endurance are the most important for my career path.

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Hmm to me that is a pretty tough concept to grasp, cause what is muscle there for if it'S not to move big things around? I mean that is its use.

M&S Elite Member
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dario2622 View Post
    Hmm to me that is a pretty tough concept to grasp, cause what is muscle there for if it'S not to move big things around? I mean that is its use.
    Muscle is just an aesthetic. You don't need a muscular physique to be strong.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

just to add to this,
    when doing muscle building for bench press im gonna start do reps of 12, 10, 8 then 12 again

should i:

-increase weight steadily
    -keep it the same throughout
    -or decrease?