MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default Football Defensive End Workout

how is this workout for a high school football defensive end?

Monday: Legs+Shoulders

Squats- 10/8/6/4
    Cleans- 8/8/8
    F/S/B Lunches- 1 set of 8 each direction per leg
    Calf Raises- 1 set till 10, next till failure
    Shrugs- 10/8/6

Wednesday: "Monster" and arms

(Monster day is a thing our coache created, it consists of ladder work, than a series of like 10 exercises such as planks, squat thrusts, squat jumps etc with no weight, 30 seconds of each move into the next 2 sets total)

Bicep Curls- 10/8/6
    Pushdowns- 8/6/4
    Forearm Curls- 10/8/6
    Pushups- Till faliure

Friday: Chest+Back+Speed

Bench Press- 8/8/8
    Flies- 8/8/8
    Row- 10/8/6
    Back Extensions- 2 sets of 10
    then into speed workout
    1 lap jog
    sprint medley (10 yard sprint then jog back, 20 yard sprint then jog back etc) until 100 yards once
    stairs- 3 bleacher sets
    cooldown walk lap

Hows that of a workout for speed/ endurance/ and strength

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

anyone???

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

I'm no expert with football, at all. As far as developing endurance/strength/speed. You have to much isolation exercises. I'd do a powerlifting routine if I was you and add in a o-lift. Clean, Clean High Pull, Snatch, Snatch Pull, to build explosiveness. The sprint medely looks good, I'm not sure of the physical needs of a defensive end like I said I know next to nothing about football haha! I'd say a play lies within the alactic system.

So, I'd work on a few weeks of alactic power and then a few weeks of alactic capacity. Basically you train them in the same way, but when you train for power you have a COMPLETE rest before doing another set. When training the capacity you have an INCOMPLETE recovery. Do power for 2-4 weeks then capacity for 2-4 weeks. It'll greatly increase the power output of your alactic energy system, which is the fastest most powerful one.
    Stats:
    Age-18
    Weight-155lbs.
    Height-5 Foot 9 Inches
    BF%-22.8%

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos
    Squat 2.1x BW Squat, 1.75xBW Bench Press, 2.5xBW Deadlift (425/350/500)
    205 lbs @7%

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by nogigrappler12 View Post
    I'm no expert with football, at all. As far as developing endurance/strength/speed. You have to much isolation exercises. I'd do a powerlifting routine if I was you and add in a o-lift. Clean, Clean High Pull, Snatch, Snatch Pull, to build explosiveness. The sprint medely looks good, I'm not sure of the physical needs of a defensive end like I said I know next to nothing about football haha! I'd say a play lies within the alactic system.

So, I'd work on a few weeks of alactic power and then a few weeks of alactic capacity. Basically you train them in the same way, but when you train for power you have a COMPLETE rest before doing another set. When training the capacity you have an INCOMPLETE recovery. Do power for 2-4 weeks then capacity for 2-4 weeks. It'll greatly increase the power output of your alactic energy system, which is the fastest most powerful one.
    so pretty much just add more compunds?
    and a defensive end needs to be able to get past a lineman using agressive rips and swims and possibly through the fullback (another blocker) to sack the quarterback or the runner...basically point a to point b as fast as possible going through obstructions

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Rightio then.

Firstly we need to know your age, then your experience lifting, then your size.

Your training needs to be geared towards speed and power but the routine that would be of most benefit wont be obvious until you answer the above questions.

The routine will focus on compounds, you wont combine running and lifting. You'll need to do speed work twice a week, progressing to three times and lift three times a week, I'll be able to give an answer when you come back with the information I need above.

You speed training is rubbish, why anyone wants a DE to run 100 yards is beyond me, whoever gave you that needs slapping. You need to do both quickness and explosive drills over a short period, I'll post some with a workout routine for you when you reply.

Final thing be handy to know would be what defence you run, whats your gap responsibilities. A LDE in a 3-4 is going to be a very different person and have different training to a RDE in a 4-3.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.
    - Archie Griffen

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by oakbark View Post
    Rightio then.

Firstly we need to know your age, then your experience lifting, then your size.

Your training needs to be geared towards speed and power but the routine that would be of most benefit wont be obvious until you answer the above questions.

The routine will focus on compounds, you wont combine running and lifting. You'll need to do speed work twice a week, progressing to three times and lift three times a week, I'll be able to give an answer when you come back with the information I need above.

You speed training is rubbish, why anyone wants a DE to run 100 yards is beyond me, whoever gave you that needs slapping. You need to do both quickness and explosive drills over a short period, I'll post some with a workout routine for you when you reply.

Final thing be handy to know would be what defence you run, whats your gap responsibilities. A LDE in a 3-4 is going to be a very different person and have different training to a RDE in a 4-3.
    currently- 16, 17 by beginning of next season (august)
    lift exp.- have done basic workouts for about 1.5 years
    size- 5'10", 185, not sure on bf% im guessin tho 10-15% prob
    Primarily as far as fronts go we run a 4 and occaisonially 5 man front and rarely switch sides so id be either R or L for the whole season

any more questions? if its easier to do this through pm's just msg me

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by gridiron66 View Post
    currently- 16, 17 by beginning of next season (august)
    lift exp.- have done basic workouts for about 1.5 years
    size- 5'10", 185, not sure on bf% im guessin tho 10-15% prob
    Primarily as far as fronts go we run a 4 and occaisonially 5 man front and rarely switch sides so id be either R or L for the whole season

any more questions? if its easier to do this through pm's just msg me
    OK,

Your small although still young which is cool so I am guessing you have some speed. Therefore you need a controlled weight gaining program whereby you add some lean mass but not hypertrophy based as you a football player and we want you to be able to deliver the power on field, not look good in pants! Because your small we want to ensure your speed is increased even as you get bigger, its speed which is going to cause problems for the O.

so, what we're looking at is a way to add mass, gain strength and power, whilst getting faster. Speed in football is twofold. It is both top end speed, which is going to help you chase down a play from the backside, and more importantly, its quickness. quickness is every play, its the explosion off the line. Its the change of direction on a cutback.

We'll start with diet. You need to get your diet sorted, get yourself on a calorie surplus to ensure your adding mass. You need to work out your BMR so go here

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/too...alculator.html

you need to get +500 calories a day, split over 6 meals. Eat loads of protein and carbs, so thats lean meat, eggs. Get some complex carbs in the diet. Thats Oats, wholemeal pasta/rice/bread and potato's.

For workouts we need to cycle a hypertrophy ( muscle building routine ) and power. For muscle building look at this.

Mon - Legs

Squats 10/8/8/6
    Deadlifts 10/8/8/6
    Power Cleans 10/8/8/6

Tue - Chest/Bi's

Bench Press 10/8/8
    Incline Bench 10/8/8
    Dumbell Bench press

Barbell Curls 10/8/8
    Dumbell Curls 12/10/8

Thurs - Back

Wide grip pull ups 4 x Max
    Barbell Rows 12/10/10/8
    Dumbell Rows 12/10/10/8

Fri - Shoulder/tri's

Military Press 12/10/8
    Dumbell Press 10/10/8
    Upright Rows 10/8/8
    Shrugs 10/10/8
    Tricep Dips Max rep x 4
    Close grip Bench 12/10/10/8

We are working the most important muscles on Monday, then hitting the bench Tues. The aim here is to stick with compounds to add total mass and get stronger by increasing the weight but not to add mass by targetting isolated muscles. DO this routine for 8 -12 weeks t hen switch up to the strength workout.

Here we follow a routine three times a week. We go for a heavy leg day at the start then a light day then a heavy upper body day at the end.

Mon

Squat 8/8/6/4
    Deadlift 8/8/6/6
    Power Clean 8/6/6
    Bench Press 10/8/8/6
    Barbell Row 10/10/8
    Military Press 10/10/8
    Tricep Dip 3 x Max

Wed

Squat 10/10/8
    Deadlift 10/10/8
    Power Clean 10/10/10
    Bench Press 12/10/8
    Barbell Row 10/10/8
    Military Press 10/10/8
    Tricep Dip 3 x Max

Fri

Squat 10/10/8
    Deadlift 10/10/8
    Power Clean 10/10/10
    Bench Press 10/8/6/6
    Barbell Row 10/8/6
    Military Press 10/8/6
    Tricep Dip 3 x Max ( weighted so you can do 8 )

We dont work Biceps on strength or power routines. This muscle wont help you play football, just get underwear contracts.

Sprint training comes next.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.
    - Archie Griffen

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

wow thanks that was a lot of info and such
    ill get on the programs next week
    damn lol thanks again

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Speed work. Try and do this separate to lifting but on the same day so you get some rest between.

You need to do 30 mins of quality work, 2/3 times a week. Start off with 2 then build to 3. DO this on same days you lift. Rest days are just that. Depends really on whether speed of lifting is more important. You do the most important one first in the day.

Drills to do.

Ladder work, important for getting control over your feet and improving your foot speed, balance.

Short sprints out of Three Point. Do speed work but starting from you starting position. This will allow you to work on your explosive ability from the snap.

Shuttle Sprints. again start from you Starting position.

Resistance Sprints. Tie something around your waist ( like parachute or a tractor tire ) Do short 20-30 yard sprints with added resistance, This is becoming more and more common.

Box Drills. You need 4 cones in a square. One cone in middle. Two cones on the outside point of the square parallel to the middle one. Effectively you now have two matching rectangles joined to each other. You and a partner stand opposite each other. One of you sprints to touch one of the four cones that make up his rectangle, the other follows. This is done to train reactions and direction change.

Cone Drills. Old favourite, a million variations. Its a speed and change of direction drill.

Whilst speed is of course desired, it can work against you as a DE. The best way to take out a fast DE is to let him get outside penetration and run the ball inside him, the change of direction drills are often neglected by linemen, but are far more important than top speed drills. Being able to keep outside containment whilst still being able to react and close the inside gap as needed and react to a pulling guard will make you far more effective. If a RB keeps faking you tight, its only going to slow your penetration down as you try to stay home and you'll end up being blocked out of the game. If you have better quickness you will become a much better player than just blasting off the line and being taken out by the offensive scheme designed to eliminate your play.
    Last edited by oakbark; 01-24-2009 at 05:11 PM.
    - Archie Griffen

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

ooh oak your my hero! *girly voice* hahahah :]

good read rep+
    "The worst thing I could be is just like everyone else."- Arnold Schwarzenegger

Age- 16/Ht-5'10/Wt- 205lbs/Bf- 10.4%/Bench-385lbs/Squat-405lbs :]
    Work hard,Sacrifice everything, Keep looking up

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by JrHighHercules212 View Post
    ooh oak your my hero! *girly voice* hahahah :]

good read rep+
    I can understand that, your eyes aren't painted on after all.
    - Archie Griffen

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Hi my name is tanner,
    I weigh 195(12-14% bf), and height is 5'10",16 years old(just turned), lift exp- been working out since i was 10.I like this workout program a lot, but we do a workout at school at 2:20pm and finish at 3:05pm. I dont think it is enough, and I like to do extra. So, I'll go workout again at 8pm. We do Monday-squat, straight-leg deadlift, calf raises. Tuesday- bench, powerclean, aussie pull ups, heavy dips, curls. Wednesday-push sleds. Thursday-milittary press, dead lift, shoulder shrug, tricep push downs. Friday- most the time he just tells us to go home. I do not agree with doing shoulders with lower body and powerclean with bench. What I'm asking is to do your program and my coaches(to satisfy him) what days do i need to do what workout to fit my coaches?