MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Default Primary and secondary muscles

It's recommended for 4 days of rest before working the same muscle group again but is it okay to work a different muscle group that included secondary muscle from the first group? Does this make sense?
    You're the only one holding you back.

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by MXracer84 View Post
    It's recommended for 4 days of rest before working the same muscle group again but is it okay to work a different muscle group that included secondary muscle from the first group? Does this make sense?
    Yes it makes sense, and yes as far as I'm aware that is okay to do; it's only really working the exact same muscle group like chest, chest as opposed to chest, triceps etc in successive workouts. Most major muscle groups, and compound moves incorporate several smaller muscles in their execution, but doing barbell lunges would not prevent back/shoulder exercises next day, or day after that (depending on how people rotate their muscle group usage).
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Yeah you can.

For instance you can work back Tues and Bi's Thurs as in Dougs 4 Day split or the Shoulder/Tri on Mon and Chest on Thurs in the same routine..

I would always try and have at least one day break in between though.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.
    - Archie Griffen

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

The reason I ask is because I crunched Dougs 4 day into a 2 day. Doing Chest, biceps and legs on day 1 then 2 full days off and then Triceps, back and shoulders on the last day. I am still sore and this is my 2nd day of rest and I've been trying to get as much protein as possible and I'm not sure if I should still work out being sore still...even though the muscles I used primary will be secondary this time around. Thanks for your responses!
    You're the only one holding you back.

Seasoned M&S Veteran JulezCesarFYC's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

The reason I ask is because I crunched Dougs 4 day into a 2 day. Doing Chest, biceps and legs on day 1 then 2 full days off and then Triceps, back and shoulders on the last day. I am still sore and this is my 2nd day of rest and I've been trying to get as much protein as possible and I'm not sure if I should still work out being sore still...even though the muscles I used primary will be secondary this time around. Thanks for your responses!
    Man! i would understand a 3 day but STILL. I dont think thats a good idea. You have to keep in mind the amount of energy that it takes to complete those workouts with proper form and the HIGHEST intensity. it takes a huge toll on your body. if you cram a 4 day workout into a 2 day workout; you MUST be going over 1 hour per workout. Your body will switch from anabolic to catabolic because of the amount of cortisol your body will be producing. you're actually damaging your body. the rest days are in there for a reason.
    The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates
    Got alot of work to do, Need some Ginkgo Biloba for muscle memory LOL

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

my guess is that it would be called Doug's 2 Day if it were meant to be done in 2 days...
    a strong body is nothing without a strong mind

starting point: 5'3" -ish, 105 -ish lbs.
    current: 112 lbs. - ish
    goal: 125 ish lb muscley confidence in a bikini

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

I understand what JulezCesar and Stikfigure are saying, but there are 2 day routines where the split is push/pull muscle groups. Of course, if you're cutting the amount of exercises done in both sessions, so that you get as close to the 1 hour as possible, I don't see a problem. I don't know if you've reduced the amount of sets/exercises per muscle group or not. It is also possible still to be sore after a two day rest, but it all depends on how sore you are, if it's just a residual soreness, I personally don't see a problem with that, if it's where you can barely move, then you have a problem that you need to address.

I did shoulders Monday and still felt them on Thursday, but since they're only done once a week, but before the next shoulder session they're fine, and fully recovered...if you follow.

I also think the term soreness is misinterpreted by a lot of members to indicate pain, since we all use the term sore in general for anything from an ache/ a bruising feeling/ to complete seizure of muscles etc. How the muscles feel after exercise is not really easy to explain to anyone, since we may all be interpreting it differently, so it's best to go with what you feel...if you feel the 'soreness' is almost a non-existent ache then don't worry, if it's hell, then reassess the workout.

Hope this has helped.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg