MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

Question working out every day - Good or Bad?

i have been working out in the gym every day for the last year and so far my size has grown and developed. when i workout i only work one major muscle group that day - monday - biceps, tues - tricepts, wed - back, thurs - chest, fri - shoulders, sat - legs. will this type of routine reduce the quality and size of my growth? do i need to work 2 muscle groups each day and take more days to rest?
    p.

Coming Up The Ranks sperminator's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

you might be better off combining bis and tris into one day of the week. It wouldnt really hurt anything and you would get a bit more free time through the week also.
    A Trophy Bike is easier to maintain than a Trophy Wife!!!

Nothing is impossible. Th impossible just takes a little longer.

Sin Cera!!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by oakhurstpaul View Post
    i have been working out in the gym every day for the last year and so far my size has grown and developed. when i workout i only work one major muscle group that day - monday - biceps, tues - tricepts, wed - back, thurs - chest, fri - shoulders, sat - legs. will this type of routine reduce the quality and size of my growth? do i need to work 2 muscle groups each day and take more days to rest?
    p.
    Simple answer - If you train everyday when you going to rest your aching batterd muscles lol ?

you want to have atleast 2 rest days so i suggest you do something like this:-

monday
    chest + tri's

tuesdays
    back + abs

wednesday
    rest

thursday
    shoulder + bi's

friday
    Legs + abs

sat + sunday
    Rest

you'll get more rest and burn less cals to get if your bulking.
    Bench - 231lbs x 5, Squats - 264lbs x 5, Deadlift - 363lbs x 5 Power Clean - 187lb x 5, Pull ups - BW + 44lbs x 5, Dips - BW + 66lbs x 5, Miltary Press - 143lbs x 5

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

p.
    Doing exercise this way won't allow much free time, although that depends on how long workouts take, probably not 1 hour workouts I'd imagine. You've been gaining on your program, and have been using it I presume with no ill effect for a year, which is good. Coregains did mention that you're not really giving the body enough rest time, but as I read it, your body parts are each getting around 5 days recovery, so I don't see a problem with that. If you want more free time, then combine a couple of muscle groups as already suggested by Sperminator, otherwise if you're getting good gains, enjoying your workout, and suffering no ill effects, then I'd stick with it...we're all different after all, and what works for some will not work for others.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    Doing exercise this way won't allow much free time, although that depends on how long workouts take, probably not 1 hour workouts I'd imagine. You've been gaining on your program, and have been using it I presume with no ill effect for a year, which is good. Coregains did mention that you're not really giving the body enough rest time, but as I read it, your body parts are each getting around 5 days recovery, so I don't see a problem with that. If you want more free time, then combine a couple of muscle groups as already suggested by Sperminator, otherwise if you're getting good gains, enjoying your workout, and suffering no ill effects, then I'd stick with it...we're all different after all, and what works for some will not work for others.
    Ya i agree with 5kg lifter....if that schedule is working 4 you then stick with it....but if i were you, i wouldnt give 2 different days for the bi's and the tri's.....id work them both on the same day....but thats just me....
    --MY HOPE COMES FROM THE LORD--

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

While the routine you have set up technically gives you enought rest for your muscles to heal, it is very hard on your nervous system. I would suggest having at least 2 days off a week. Maybe combine bis and tris into one day and have the other day as another day off.

Maybe...

Monday - chest
    Tuestday - back
    Wednesday - rest
    Thrusday - shoulders
    Friday - arms
    Saturday - legs
    Sunday - rest

Just my two cents...
    Start - 6' 0", 180lb

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

i dont like doing back and chest back to back. when i do back and try lat pull downs and pullups the soreness of my chest interfers.

The Essence of Elegance NicoSuave32's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat
    • Photos

your muscle grown outside of the gym. less is more, you work you muscle groups 1 day and give them a 6 day rest befor eyour wokr them again, but your body needs a break as well. I would give 2 solid days of rest, but if it works for you go for it. Some you'll run low and muscle won't develop the same and possibly shrink.
    Current Weight : 204 lbs
    BF%: N/A Goal: Prepping for show this Saturday Nov. 7th

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Performance
    • Photos

Bad
    Vermonta Football
    D1 Brattleboro Colonels
    Starting DT

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

p.
    As the saying goes, working a muscle more than 1 times per week is like digging one big hole, and constantly digging, not enough time for the soil to cover it while there is constantly digging.

What this means is when you are in the gym you are breaking down your muscles, and by constantly working out the same muscles you will keep tearing them down beyond repair, Meaning your body cannot cope with the load on trying to recover your muscles for the next workout, This is called over-training, Your body cannot cope any longer with the demands put on your body by weight-training.
    Train smart, you do not want to break down your muscles to the point you cannot get them any bigger/stronger.

Simple tips on smart/effective/safe training

- Train each muscle group once per week, No more.
    - Don't go over-board on sets, Keep things simple and intense. I.e Biceps, you only need 6-9 sets, Not much more!
    - Get plenty of sleep, 7+ hours each night.
    - Adjust a program to your personal needs, Using a routine from a Bodybuilding Mag might not suit your body.
    - Eat correctly, Eating the right amound of carbs and protein will help your recovery for your next workout.

Some people benefit from working a muscle twice per week, but they will more than certainly need the correct nutrition and rest to come even close for some decent muscle gains.

As stated by the above posters, Less is more in bodybuilding
    Last edited by Scrutiny; 11-12-2008 at 03:31 AM.
    Consistency is the key

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Vermonta View Post
    Bad
    EXCELLENT FEEDBACK.

I do my program where I do
    Core/Cardio - Sunday
    Chest/Tricep - monday
    Back/Bicep- tuesday
    Legs- wednesday
    Shoulders- thursday

Friday and saterday I am out of the gym because I work part time at a Tim Horton's.

And I think that you would enjoy being able to spend some more time with friends and family or with woman than if you were always lifting.
    Squat 2.1x BW Squat, 1.75xBW Bench Press, 2.5xBW Deadlift (425/350/500)
    205 lbs @7%

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Before enyone else criticises this as a bad routine being done by oakhurstpaul, maybe they should consider that there are 6-day routines advocated on the forum, even if they are for cutting and advanced phases:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...g-routine.html

And I still feel that oakhurst is getting plenty of break between muscle groups, since he is only doing each muscle group once a week, not more as some of you are inferring.

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Other
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by 5kgLifter View Post
    Before enyone else criticises this as a bad routine being done by oakhurstpaul, maybe they should consider that there are 6-day routines advocated on the forum, even if they are for cutting and advanced phases:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...g-routine.html

And I still feel that oakhurst is getting plenty of break between muscle groups, since he is only doing each muscle group once a week, not more as some of you are inferring.
    I agree!
    And besides that the biggest quest is finding the right workout that works for your body and that doesnt always mean doing what every body else is doing!
    My workout at the moment is a bit weird but it works great for me (wednesday: shoulders,saturday: back and bis, sunday chest and tris and legs)