MEMBER LOGIN

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Default workout more than 1 hour?

hi everyone, im new here and have many questions.....

the first question here is on something that i have read....ok here it is.....

is training for more than an hour bad? so why do people stay hours in the gym, do they not know or they feel they need to workout hard? ok well from what i have read, working out for more than an hour your levels of testosterone drop and levels or cortisol (the hormone that destroys muscle and promotes the storage of bady fat) rise, which would obviously be something bad.....but dont most people work out for more than an hour, those who are training real hard? me talking about myself, i usually train for about 2 hours max, thats with doing abs and cardio....but on day that i dont do abs and cardio 1.5 hours is something normal for me.....i also usually train 2 muscle groups a day, for example chest/bi's, shoulder/back, legs/tri's.....ok, that would lead to my next question but for the sake of this thread lets just stick to the 1st one about working out for more than an hour, the source of the statement is a good one, its from the 'body sculpting bible for men'....it seems correct but figure that here would be the best place to ask.....so is training for more than an hour recommended?
    Last edited by omargue; 09-08-2008 at 12:24 PM.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by omargue View Post
    hi everyone, im new here and have many questions.....

the first question here is on something that i have read....ok here it is.....

is training for more than an hour bad? so why do people stay hours in the gym, do they not know or they feel they need to workout hard? ok well from what i have read, working out for more than an hour your levels of testosterone drop and levels or cortisol (the hormone that destroys muscle and promotes the storage of bady fat) rise, which would obviously be something bad.....but dont most people work out for more than an hour, those who are training real hard? me talking about myself, i usually train for about 2 hours max, thats with doing abs and cardio....but on day that i dont do abs and cardio 1.5 hours is something normal for me.....i also usually train 2 muscle groups a day, for example chest/bi's, shoulder/back, legs/tri's.....ok, that would lead to my next question but for the sake of this thread lets just stick to the 1st one about working out for more than an hour, the source of the statement is a good one, its from the 'body sculpting bible for men'....it seems correct but figure that here would be the best place to ask.....so is training for more than an hour recommended?
    Hi welcome to the forum..

In an ideal world the training would last less than an hour, but with people who have to work for a living and only have three or four days to train per week then its a bit difficult. Your training session needs to be as short as possible, You should be able to complete two body parts in just over an hour, and even less than that if performing three sets per exercise..
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - Gemini Fitness Centre

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Hi welcome to the forum..

In an ideal world the training would last less than an hour, but with people who have to work for a living and only have three or four days to train per week then its a bit difficult. Your training session needs to be as short as possible, You should be able to complete two body parts in just over an hour, and even less than that if performing three sets per exercise..
    I always break that rule..I go 2-3 hours because too much rest between...but I am going to change .....
    "Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas."

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

I have to admit, I did a 2-hour session once. I normally try to restrict it to within 45mins to 1hr, and make it as intense as possible, so that every minute counts; although, as we all know, this is not always possible. Besides, a 2hr session once in a while shows just how much stamina has been built up through all the hard training.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Photos

normally all of mine are around 45 -60minutes (with warmup of 5-7 minutes and streching) depending if I need to wait for something, Plus the cardio afterwards. Legs a little over an hour usually.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

But , is too dificult to perform a routine in 45 minutes - 1 hour , if you have to do 2 muscle groups , for ex : chest- tricep , 4 exercices for chest and 4 for tricep. The last week I ask to my trainer about a routine of 5 days

Monday - Chest
    Tuesday - Back
    Wednesday - Legs
    Thursday - Shoulders
    Friday - Bi's, Tri's

With this routine I can finish my workout in 1 hour or less , but he said what this routine will be for a advanced guy with 4 years of training or more. Are you agree with this ?

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

i have always trained 2 muscle groups a day, i heard as well that training 1 muscle group is optimal for an advanced bodybuilder, to maintain and rest there muscles for the next time they workout, i mean they are pushing extreme weights or real heavy weights and there muscles need to rest sufficiently.....from what i was told before, that training 2 muscles groups a workout is best too see you progress.....i once tried working out 1 muscle group per workout and didnt see much results, i did it for a month and figured i was better off going back to working out 2 groups....and i think it did....i have been working out in the gym for about 6 years now but im not no bodybuilder type physiqe, im more of a solid 5'10 170 guy, decent size......i think that if i go back to working out 1 muscle group per workout im gonna lose all that ive been training for the last 6 months since ive changed.....

today i did shoulder and tricep in 1 hour, resting 60-90 sec between sets, i had plenty of time......but that was 1 hour not including abs and alittle cardio.....

i believe that working the same group twice a week is best........but from what i have read, im totally wrong.....i see only routines that work usually 1 muscle group, but at the gym i usually see people working on 2 including myself.....should i stay the same or def change???

-
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

You should be able to train 2 body parts in under one hour, remember the time does not include warmups and stretching, 4 exercises, 14-16 sets for chest with 1 min rest between sets and 2 min between exercises should take around 35 mins, triceps don't need more than 9 sets, 3 exercises, again 1 min rest it's about 20-25 mins, so total of 55-60 minutes.... then if you start working in drop sets and supersets etc you can easily cut your workout time's down.

-
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by omargue View Post
    i have always trained 2 muscle groups a day, i heard as well that training 1 muscle group is optimal for an advanced bodybuilder, to maintain and rest there muscles for the next time they workout, i mean they are pushing extreme weights or real heavy weights and there muscles need to rest sufficiently.....from what i was told before, that training 2 muscles groups a workout is best too see you progress.....i once tried working out 1 muscle group per workout and didnt see much results, i did it for a month and figured i was better off going back to working out 2 groups....and i think it did....i have been working out in the gym for about 6 years now but im not no bodybuilder type physiqe, im more of a solid 5'10 170 guy, decent size......i think that if i go back to working out 1 muscle group per workout im gonna lose all that ive been training for the last 6 months since ive changed.....

today i did shoulder and tricep in 1 hour, resting 60-90 sec between sets, i had plenty of time......but that was 1 hour not including abs and alittle cardio.....

i believe that working the same group twice a week is best........but from what i have read, im totally wrong.....i see only routines that work usually 1 muscle group, but at the gym i usually see people working on 2 including myself.....should i stay the same or def change???
    Over training

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by argentinarugby View Post
    But , is too dificult to perform a routine in 45 minutes - 1 hour , if you have to do 2 muscle groups , for ex : chest- tricep , 4 exercices for chest and 4 for tricep. The last week I ask to my trainer about a routine of 5 days

Monday - Chest
    Tuesday - Back
    Wednesday - Legs
    Thursday - Shoulders
    Friday - Bi's, Tri's

With this routine I can finish my workout in 1 hour or less , but he said what this routine will be for a advanced guy with 4 years of training or more. Are you agree with this ?
    While i can't give you an educated answer on 5 day routines, I can tell you that 4 exercises for your triceps seems like overtraining. You should do no more than 9-10 sets for your triceps, and some would argue less than that.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge
    • Photos

My workouts range from 45 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes. This however is completely determined by how crowded the gym is. If there were never any lines, total time in the gym would probably always be less then 45 minutes. But as I spend 1/2 my workout bouncing between benches and machines asking guys how many sets they have left, I tend to have pretty long gaps between exercises.
    "Champions Train, Losers Complain"

Kettlebells' Angel !!!! 5kgLifter's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit
    • Training Log
    • Photos

Monday - Chest
    Tuesday - Back
    Wednesday - Legs
    Thursday - Shoulders
    Friday - Bi's, Tri's

I do a whole-body workout 3 days a week, and manage to get all sets done in under an hour, mostly by doing legs while the upper body is recovering, ready for shoulders etc. I have the advantage of not having to wait for people at the gym, since it's a home workout...but it can be done, as others say.
    1-Finger Deadlift, 1RM: 80.3lbs/36.5kg

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

I train 5 days for my hypertrophy period quite often. What I can tell you is that you need good rest periods if your going to do it.

In fact I'd say your trainer is right that you would need some experience, because it can be tiring, fatiguing your body this much. Also your trainer is right because to train for five days you need to make sure everything else is nailed down right and in my experience, its only experienced lifters who do tend to knuckle down everything, mainly cause they have made all the mistakes and learnt from them!

Also I do 12 sets for triceps in this routine, I don't find 12 sets on Tri's Overtraining, even when I put all three sets in a Triset. Overtraining is something specific to you.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.
    - Archie Griffen

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Maxmilian View Post
    I always break that rule..I go 2-3 hours because too much rest between...but I am going to change .....
    You seriously need to change, mate. Do it today!
    A person is only as big as the dream they dare to live.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Photos

and what's the difference between a 3 day split routine and a 4 day ?

The last months i did a 3 day split : Monday chest/tri Wednesday legs/shoulders and friday back/bi's
    I'll do what my trainer said , so i'm thinking to do a 4 day ? What do you think about this distribution ?

Monday Back
    Tuesday Chest
    Wednesday OFF
    Thursday Legs/Shoulders
    Friday Bicep/Tricep

Saturdar-Sunday OFF

And I have a question about sets, It's the same finish all the sets from one exercise and then move onto the next exercise (Ex: Do all the sets of squats and the start leg press) than do 1 set of 1 exercise then move onto the next
    (ex: Do 1 set of squats , then 1 set of leg press , 1 set of squats , one of leg press ..... )

Seasoned M&S Veteran
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

and what's the difference between a 3 day split routine and a 4 day ?

The last months i did a 3 day split : Monday chest/tri Wednesday legs/shoulders and friday back/bi's
    I'll do what my trainer said , so i'm thinking to do a 4 day ? What do you think about this distribution ?

Monday Back
    Tuesday Chest
    Wednesday OFF
    Thursday Legs/Shoulders
    Friday Bicep/Tricep

Saturdar-Sunday OFF

And I have a question about sets, It's the same finish all the sets from one exercise and then move onto the next exercise (Ex: Do all the sets of squats and the start leg press) than do 1 set of 1 exercise then move onto the next
    (ex: Do 1 set of squats , then 1 set of leg press , 1 set of squats , one of leg press ..... )
    Nothing wrong with that split as such, Thurs might be a long workout, but if you can manage it, fine.

You do all the sets of one exercise before moving onto another.
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.
    - Archie Griffen

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength
    • Photos

of course everybody unconsciously tend toward the easy way of doing things. Now working out within the limit of one hour requires body and mental focus which is the higher level of performance. If you suddenly decide to adapt your body on undergoing the intensive pressure, you will simultaneously feel that you are forced to eat as much healthy as you can and get enough sleep in order to accomplish less than one hour of training.
    Not easy, so difficult and you probably don't like it but NO PAIN NO GAIN ! .. 1 hour of training will induce your body speed of performance and that is what most people call the workout of perfect beach body!