Standing One Leg Calf Raise With Dumbbell Video Guide3.5 5 8
- The 1 leg calf raise holding a dumbbell is a great exercise for working the calves at home without machines. Set up by grasping a dumbbell in your right hand and standing on the edge of a calf raise block or step with the balls of your feet on the edge.
- Take your right leg and hook it behind your left.
- Let your left heel drop as far as possible. This is the starting position.
- Keeping your body straight and eyes facing forwards, raise your left heel up as far as possible.
- Pause and squeeze the calf muscle, and then slowly lower your heal back down as far as possible.
- Repeat for desired reps, and then repeat on the right leg.
- Always work your weakest side first. For most people this is the left.
- Use the maximum range of motion by pushing up as high as you can and letting your heel drop as far as possible.
- Keep the rep timing slow and control the weight on the way down.