Smith Machine Wide Grip Bench Press Video Guide3.3 5 6
- Shoulders, Triceps
- Set up for the smith machine wide grip bench press by getting a flat bench and setting in the middle of the smith machine.
- Before you load the weights on, lay on the bench and press the bar to make sure you have the bench in the right position (centered, head not hanging off the end!).
- Load the weight up on the bar, then lay on the bench.
- Grasp the bar with a wider than shoulder width grip and unload the bar from the rack and bend your elbows slightly. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly lower the bar until it's about 1 inch off your chest, pause, then raise the bar back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Smith Machine Bench Press Tips:
- Do not lock your elbows out at the top of the movement. This takes the emphasis off your chest.
- Never "bounce" the weight off your chest.
- Lowering the weight should take about twice as long as raising it.