Smith Machine Shrug Video Guide4 5 8
- Set up for the smith machine shrug by loading up the weight you want to use on a smith machine.
- Stand facing the bar with your feet about shoulder width apart.
- Grasp the bar with an overhand grip (palms facing down), with your hands about shoulder width apart. Bending at the knees only, pick the barbell up and release the safety.
- Keeping the barbell close to your body, let your shoulders "sag" as far as possible. This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Slowly shrug your shoulders up as far as possible.
- Pause, and then slowly lower the barbell back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Focus on lifting the weight with your traps and not your biceps.
- Pausing at the top of the barbell shrug makes the exercise more challenging and you'll get more out of it. Try and pause for a count of 1-3 at the top of each rep.
- There's no benefit to roll your shoulders forward or back when you shrug - that's a myth! Just raise the barbell straight up and straight down.