Lying Cable Upright Row Video Guide4 5 2
- Set up for the lying cable upright row by attaching a straight bar to a low pulley cable machine.
- Select the amount of weight on the stack and lie down facing the machine with your feet about shoulder width apart. You can press your feet against the machine for stability.
- Grasp the bar with an overhand grip (palms facing down), with your hands just inside shoulder width apart. Rest the bar on your thighs with a slight bend in your elbows.This is the starting position for the exercise.
- Keeping your back straight and eyes facing up, lift the bar straight up while keeping it as close to your body as possible (you should pull the bar up to around chest height - almost touching your chin).
- Pause, and then slowly lower the bar back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Focus on keeping your elbows higher than your forearms. The elbows push the motion.
- Keep your body fixed throughout the set. Don't lean forward as you lower the bar, and back as you raise it. Movement of the body makes the upright row easier, and you will not get the most out of it.
- Pause and squeeze the traps at the top of the movement, and then lower the bar really slowly if you want to add extra intensity to the exercise.