Dumbbell Shrug Video Guide3.8 5 67
- The dumbbell shrug is a simple but very effective way of working the upper traps. Grasp a pair of dumbbells and stand straight up with the dumbbells by your sides.
- Let your shoulders "sag" down as far as possible.
- Keeping your body fixed, slowly shrug your shoulders straight up as high as possible (don't rotate back or forwards!).
- Pause for a count of 1-3, and then slowly lower the dumbbells back to the starting position.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Focus on pulling the weight up with your traps and not your biceps.
- You don't need to rotate the shoulders forward or back when doing shrugging exercises. The thought that this will benefit you is a myth! You should shrug straight up as high as possible.
- Pause at the top of the movement to get the best results from the exercise.