Decline Smith Machine Bench Press Video Guide3 5 1
- Shoulders, Triceps
- Set up for the decline smith machine bench press by placing a decline bench in the smith machine, lowering the bar and adding the weight you want to use.
- Lay back on the bench so that your lower chest is level with the bar. You feet should be firmly secured on the bench padding for support.
- Grasp the bar with hands at wider than shoulder width. Unload the weight.
- Slowly lower the weight down until the bar is about one inch off your chest.
- Pause, and then slowly raise the bar up as far as possible without locking your elbows.
- Repeat for desired reps.
- Keep the rep timing slow and control the weight throughout the set.
- Do not "bounce" the bar off your chest.
- Don't lock your elbows out at the top of the movement.
- And finally, use a wider than shoulder width grip so that the emphasis is placed on your chest and not your front shoulder muscles.