Decline Bench Press Video Guide3.9 5 14
- The decline bench press works the lower part of the pectoral muscles. Set up for the exercise by loading on the weight you want to use and setting the decline bench to an angle of around 30 degrees.
- Lay back on the decline bench with your legs/ankles firmly secured on the padding.
- Take the barbell off the rack and hold it straight up in front of you.
- Slowly lower the barbell down towards your lower chest as far as possible without hitting your body.
- Pause, then slowly raise the barbell back to the starting position without locking the elbows out.
- Repeat for desired reps.
Decline Bench Press Tips:
- Make sure you push the barbell straight up and down, even though you're on a decline. Don't push it forwards or backwards.
- Use the maximum range of motion by lowering the bar as far as possible without hitting your body and raising it until your elbows almost lock.
- This exercise can be dangerous, if you're doing it for the first time use a light weight so you can gauge the best weight for you to use.
- Never bounce the bar off your chest, but maintain full control of the weight at all times.