Close Grip Chest Press Video Guide3.5 5 2
- Set up for the close grip chest press by adjusting the rack height (if adjustable) and loading the weight you want to use on the barbell.
- Lay back on the bench with your feet firmly on the floor.
- Grip the bar with an overhand grip (palms facing your feet) with your hands around 12 inches apart.
- Take the barbell off the rack and hold it straight above your chest. Bend the elbows slightly to take the weight onto your chest/triceps.
- Slowly lower the bar to your middle chest.
- Pause, then slowly push the bar back to the starting position. Don't lock your elbows out!
- Repeat for desired reps.
Close Grip Chest Press Tips:
- Focus on using your chest to move the weight.
- Keep the rep timing slow and control the weight - especially when lowering it.
- Start by using a light weight if you are new to this exercise.
- The bar should be lowered to your middle chest ONLY.