Your Go-To Guide For Cutting Fat While Keeping Muscle

Don't lose your hard-earned muscle! This guide and Q&A by Brad Borland shows you how to drop fat and retain muscle.

If you are like any other bodybuilder on the planet you fight for every ounce of hard-earned muscle each and every day you enter the gym. Your diet is on point, your workouts are consistent and your rest and supplement regimen is perfect. Somewhere on the road to your ultimate physique you may find yourself wanting to shed a little body fat to show off that work of art you have toiled over for so long. But do you need to sacrifice a few pounds of muscle mass for the sake of a leaner physique?

In a word: No! By tweaking your diet a little and paying close attention to your macronutrient numbers, you can melt away the fat while keeping your muscular gains. This step-by-step guide will show you how to lean up and stay huge!

Guide To Cutting Fat And Keeping Muscle

Cutting fat? Protein is king!Step 1: Protein is King

You have heard it over and over: amino acids are the building blocks of protein and protein builds muscle – period. Without adequate amounts of protein, you will not be able to hold onto that muscle you are trying to reveal to the world. Keep protein levels around 1 to 1.25 grams per pound of bodyweight (for a 200 pound lifter this would be 200 to 250 grams). Good sources include fish, chicken, lean red meat, turkey, skim milk, low-fat cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs and whey protein.

Step 2: Fat is Your Friend

It can not be stressed enough that fat is essential in your quest to keep muscle while trying to lean up. Dietary fat will actually burn bodily adipose tissue and keep your metabolism in check by regulating key hormone levels such as testosterone. Keep fat intake at about 30 % of your total calorie intake. Good sources include avocado, nuts such as almonds, olive oil-based salad dressings, egg yolks, natural peanut butter and fatty fish such as salmon.

Step 3: Cycle Carbohydrates

Having had a bad reputation for the past few years carbs are essential for normal bodily functions as well as fueling those intense workouts. The trick is regulating the amount and type consumed. For our purposes try out around 2 grams of carbs per pound of bodyweight to start (this is 400 grams for our 200 pound athlete). This will be considered your base. Healthy sources include sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, green vegetables, oatmeal, spinach and apples.

Here is the variable in your plan. You will cycle these carb amounts for each week allowing your body to burn fat while still feeding your muscle. This will keep the body off guard to keep burning fat, but enough carbs every few days to keep muscle tissue. This is where a little experimenting on your part will be important. You will have a low carb day for 3 days (0.5 - 1 gram per pound) followed by a medium carb day (2 grams per pound) and finally a high carb day (2.5 to 3 grams per pound).

For our 200 pound example:

• Low: 100 to 200g (3 days)
  • Medium: 400g (1 day)
  • High: 500 to 600g (1 day)

With a little trial and error you will have to determine if you need more or less low carb days cycled into your week. Do not be discouraged regarding keeping muscle on your frame – keeping protein and fat intakes in check you can be ensured that you will hold onto that hard-earned muscle mass.

You should be losing around 1 to 2 pounds of fat per week. Any more than that then take a day or two of low carb days out of the plan or add a medium day. Any less then add a day or two of low carb days in the cycle and/or possibly delete the high carb day.

Q&A With Brad Borland

Brad, is there any truth to the claim that eating too much protein is dangerous for the body?

There always seems to be a continued resistance against high protein intake especially amongst textbook junkies who have little or no experience in the business of building muscle. As extremely high amounts of protein may be detrimental to health (and not to mention a waste), elevated levels that of which are significantly higher than that of the sedentary population can be a necessity when it comes to both promoting muscle gain and cutting fat. A good rule of thumb is to start at around 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Some individuals can get away with a little less and some may need a bit more. Experiment for several weeks to see where your level is.

Is it possible to get completely shredded like a bodybuilder and maintain all your muscle mass?

In a word: No. While dieting at a level to get shredded for the posing stage, it is inevitable that you will lose at least a little muscle mass. The body cannot go into an extreme mode of fat burning without sacrificing muscle tissue. The key to minimize this loss is to keep protein and fat levels in check. Keep protein levels high for muscle maintenance and take in healthy fats for energy and hormone balance – namely testosterone.

While dieting  it is inevitable that you will lose a little muscle mass.

For a beginner with an average amount of body fat that wants to build muscle and get shredded, should they do a cutting diet first, or spend some time learning how to build muscle before they try to cut fat?

Your best bet would be to cut the fat first. Reason: As you get leaner, you will look more muscular. The more muscular you become the larger you will look. Plus, being leaner is a much better way to look at the beach or poolside. Once you can see each muscle more clearly, then you can gain muscle mass at a more steady rate – just by increasing calories slightly. You will already have the knowledge to get lean, now you can stay lean and get bigger!

Should you change your training style when trying to cut fat to higher reps and lighter weight, or should you continue to use a muscle building routine?

To hold on to as much muscle as possible while dieting always use the same heavy loads and medium reps as you were using prior. This will ensure you will be able to retain muscle while dieting to cut fat. If you were to use lighter loads, the body would perceive that as a detraining period and compensate by sacrificing muscle. You must still give the muscle a need to be there. Heavy, compound movements such as bench presses, squats, leg presses, military presses, chins, rows and dips should make up the bulk of your program.

Related Articles View all Nutrition Articles

Brad is the founder of Workout Lab. He has a Master's degree in Kinesiology and is a consultant, writer, strength & conditioning specialist, husband and father. Brad is a military veteran and a cancer survivor.
Pure Glutamine Powder

Anti-Catabolic Pure L-Glutamine Powder!*

Average: 5 (1 vote)
100% Casein Gold Standard

Slow Digesting, Anti-Catabolic Casein Protein High in BCAAs!

4.2

anthony
Posted Tue, 08/03/2010 - 13:46

how many pounds should i be gaining a week

Sandy Norval
Posted Sat, 08/21/2010 - 17:57

Hey, Was wondering when working out this diet plan should i get my BMR and minus 500, then do the maths for protein, carbs and fat? Or should I do it based on my weight?

Posted Mon, 08/23/2010 - 10:40

Hi Sandy,

I would base it on weight if your weight is reasonably close to a normal range. Many of us don't fall into this category, so we may have to do some tweaking and adjust the calories and macronutrients down proportionately so that we are able to lose some fat. Ultimately, you want to lose no more than (about) 2 pounds per week.

karthik
Posted Tue, 04/17/2012 - 18:02

Hi steve.
I am a beginner and my age is 23 and 68 kgs weight. I bought a whey protein for a trail. I have it after my workout one spoon with 350 ml of milk followed by a banana and an egg! the rest of the day twice a meal. My question is there are lot of pros and cons. So is it safe for me to use this? or should i minimize the intake! what do u suggest!

Nate
Posted Wed, 08/25/2010 - 16:40

Hey Steve
Why is Carb cycling important ? Is it used to just keep the body guessing ?

Posted Thu, 08/26/2010 - 13:24

Hi Nate,

That's an integral aspect of carb cycling. It also allows you to time your eating, so you can eat more carbs on taxing days, and it allows you to have a few days where you can eat more carbs - so it breaks up the stress of running a long term cutting diet. Low carb approaches are notoriously good fat burning approaches, but long no carb runs are not always the best approach.

Patrick
Posted Tue, 09/07/2010 - 17:27

Hi I have a quick question. I'm 6'2 and 230 pounds. I have a large amount of fat and very little muscle. However I've been dieting and also doing the 3 Day Beginner workout. It's been going good and I've lost about 8 pounds in the last two weeks. My question is: should I be taking whey protein? I'm much more interested in losing weight but I'd also like to hold onto a little of that muscle.

Posted Thu, 09/09/2010 - 07:47

Hi Patrick,

Congrats on the great progress so far. If you want to retain as much muscle as possible, you don't need to use whey protein, but you will need a minimum amount of protein. Many choose to use whey protein because of convenience, and because a serving is generally cost effective compared to a serving of chicken, fish or beef.

chris wallington
Posted Tue, 09/07/2010 - 18:14

hey steve,,great article,,im having problems getting good fats into me,,i dont like to eat oily fish so i was taking 15ml of omega3 daily but it was given me terrible acne so i stopped and so did the acne,but ive been told that MAYBE i was taking to much omega3 and maybe the omega3 neede balancing out with omega 6and9? does this mean anything to you atall??

Posted Thu, 09/09/2010 - 07:51

Hi Chris,

I might suggest a product like Scivation Essential FA. It is higher quality compared to most fish oil supplements, and does contain Omega 3 & 6.

For fats, you can also turn to almonds, walnuts, eggs, some dairy and natural peanut butter. Avacado is a good choice as well.

Haris
Posted Sat, 09/11/2010 - 00:21

hey Steve I took long brake from gym and i gain some extra weight now i been going to gym for about two months i see major improvements in my strength and my muscle's are outlining however i do want to lose some fat mostly my belly how much cardio should i do. i lift weights 5 days a week and i do cardio on other 2 days. should i do cardio after lifting weights and how long etc. thank you

Posted Wed, 09/15/2010 - 13:52

Hi Haris,

You don't want to increase your cardio too rapidly when trying to cut fat. I would recommend sticking with 2 days per week during the first month of cutting, and then slowly adding more if needed.

Joe
Posted Tue, 09/14/2010 - 11:53

great article. One question, how will this diet align with my training days? In other words, should I have medium or high days fall on my most intense training days?
I do cardio as well, two days of HIIT sprints 600m and 3 low intense cardio of 35min.

Mon-Chest/Shoulder___HIIT Cardio
Tues-Back/Abs___LOW Cardio
Wed-Off-
Thurs-Legs
Fri-Arms___HIIT Cardio
Sat-Low Cardio
Sun-Low Cardio

Posted Thu, 09/16/2010 - 16:16

Hi Joe,

I would use the high carb days on the heaviest/hardest training days, moderate on moderate days, and low carb days on off days. Eat a bit more post-workout on hard training days, etc.

tom
Posted Thu, 09/23/2010 - 00:11

how much fat should i eat? its not specified

Posted Sun, 09/26/2010 - 17:43

Hi Tom,

To find fat calories, take calories from protein + carbs and multiply by .4285

To find fat grams, take calories from protein + carbs, multiplied by .0476

tom
Posted Thu, 09/23/2010 - 14:39

should i do cardio with this workout??

Posted Sun, 09/26/2010 - 17:44

Hi Tom,

If trying to cut fat, you can definitely perform cardio.

Dan
Posted Fri, 09/24/2010 - 21:23

Hi,

Great article. I am 5'8 and 176 lbs. Currently I work out every day. Hour of cardio on elliptical machine 4 days a week and 2 days a week running for 45 minutes. The last day will be either or. Sometimes I do skip a day as well. I also lift weights about 3 -4 times a week on top of that. My goal is to lose as much fat as possible (35lbs so far, was 211 lbs 5 months ago). The question I have is, for this goal how should I tune up my workouts? Should I lift 5 times a week with cardio only 3 times?

Thanks in advance.

Posted Sun, 09/26/2010 - 17:46

Hi Dan,

I think you have a very solid approach right now. Lifting 3-4 times per week is generally optimal for most naturals. If you feel you are losing muscle, I would cut back on the cardio a bit. But as long as the results are coming, stay the course.

Steven
Posted Sat, 09/25/2010 - 15:12

Hey Steve, Im about 208 5'11. I want to lose the fat that Im carrying and started working out 4 days a week. I would like to keep the muscle I have and burn the fat. I read that you wrote its virtually impossible to gain muscle at the same time of losing the fat. Im not expecting to get huge overnight. but, i would like to see some results. Should I be eating 200+grams of protein a day? I dont want to lose the weight(fat) and look like crap. What should I be doing? Everyone has so much advise to give and i dont know what to believe. This is what im eating a day. Will this help me lose the weight?
7am 4 egg whites and a packet of plain oatmeal
9-9:30am apple, low fat yogurt and a handful of almonds
9:45am to 11:00am workout
11am post workout 30g ISO protein
12-12:30 Chicken wrap
3pm handful of almonds
6pm piece of chicken breast or lean steak with a cup of broccoli or string beans salad with vinegar
8:30 30g protein shake

Posted Sun, 09/26/2010 - 17:49

Hi Steven,

Follow Brad's advice. Brad is a very knowledgeable trainer and has the body to back his words. His advice is straight forward. You definitely need to eat regular protein feedings to achieve your goals.

Try to model your food intake on the advice above. Figure out what amounts of carbs, protein and fats you are eating each day, and modify them as needed.

Mutantedelorto
Posted Mon, 11/01/2010 - 01:15

Hi, Since my dad had some health issues I had to stop all the excersice i was doing. I used to go to the gym at least 4 times a week and run 6 to 9 miles day in day out. had to stop for about a year and finally got the chance to start again. Im 5,9 and about 185 pounds but have a bit of a belly. Ive been doing shawn's 3 day muscle building split for the last 4 weeks and have seen some improvement but still want to get rid of the extra fat. I was thinking of walking and eventually jogging 3 miles a day (back from work). Is this a good Idea or will I loose too much muscle?. Im not looking to be huge but still would like to lean up and gain about 10 pounds of muscle. Should I change to a 4 day split?

Posted Mon, 11/01/2010 - 13:14

The best place to start when looking for fat loss and muscle retention is with diet. Here are a couple articles that will help:

Moderate cardio generally won't impact muscle mass unless your diet is way off.

I would stick with a 3 day split for about 2-3 months, and then possible try a 4 day split.

Jason
Posted Sat, 02/22/2014 - 07:14

No offense mate, but you're fat, you should be the last person anyone takes diet advice from.

mgd
Posted Fri, 11/19/2010 - 16:25

HI steve

im currently doing the 5 day power routine and my shoulders, chest and arms are getting huge. i currently dont do any cardio. how much cardio do yiou think i shoul do? i am going to follow this cutting routine but i just was wondering how much cardio and do i continue to do the 5day power routine

bradb
Posted Mon, 11/22/2010 - 13:15

Cardio all depends on your goals. If you want to rip up a bit, I would start with 3 days per week of 15 minute HIIT cardio training. Adjust from there.

bradb
Posted Sun, 11/21/2010 - 12:50

Hello all,

Thanks for all of the great questions - and thank you Steve for providing sound advice!

Keep them coming...

Conor
Posted Fri, 12/03/2010 - 00:17

hey! great article, it was quite helpful but i was just wondering...
im trying to get pretty big and trying to burn fat at the same time and i have been using these tips above, but what iv been wondering is if i go out this weekend and have a few beers with the lads, will the calories from the beer add to my muscle or fat?? considering iv been working out with weighhts pretty intensely lately.... i only drink maybe once every two weeks but when i do i drink about 7 cans during the night which is about 3.5 litres of beer (i dont know quantity of can in america or whatever). will it add to muscle or turn to annoying fat??

pleeeease help

bradb
Posted Fri, 12/03/2010 - 15:23

Yes, too much alcohol consumption can lead to stalled and even sometimes reversal of gains from the gym. It sounds like your intake is pretty high - you need to curtail it a bit if you want to make significant, long-lasting gains in muscle mass and strength.

Too much alcohol can deplete glycogen stores, dehydrate muscle cells and take the body out of nitrogen balance to make it very difficult for the body to build muscle. If you are serious about building your physique and striving toward your true potential, then those libation late nighters have to be tamed a little.

This is not to say your consumption has to stop all together, it just means to regulate yourself down to just a few drinks on the weekend. Also, another tip if you decide to knock back a couple is to drink plenty of water - for every drink of alcohol, have the equivalent amount of water to counter the dehydration. And be sure you do not go out on an empty stomach. Eat a balanced meal of complex carbs, protein and healthy fats prior to your night out.

Francis
Posted Wed, 12/08/2010 - 16:14

Hey, Brad. Great information you have here. So a post work out meal consist of apple and banana with your protein shake would be just fine? And a meal an hour after after consist of oatmeal mixed with milk, a little of protein powder, and an egg would be ok, also? Thanks in advance.

Bradb
Posted Fri, 12/10/2010 - 14:28

Hi Francis,

Please check out these two articles on my site:

Those picks sound good except for the apple post workout. Apples are low on the GI scale with a good bit of fiber. You will want to stick with more simple sugars such as gatorade or white bread with jelly.

Good luck,
Brad

Robert
Posted Thu, 12/09/2010 - 03:03

Love the article! But specifically to my case, I am 6'2 180lbs, and I've been working out for 2 months now, gaining 10lbs of muscle, and about 30lbs stronger in my bench/squat. However, I feel as if I have platued and I'm still desiring a more 'cut' midsection. Right now I am working out 4 days a week, with 10 sets of 5 for bench squat and also shoulders/back days. Would you suggest cardio days, and if so, when and for how long? Also, in my attempt to look more 'defined' should I cut back on protein? Thanks !!!

Bradb
Posted Thu, 12/09/2010 - 15:47

Hi Robert,

Please look at an article on my site:

It will go over getting that shredded look you are after. Get back to me and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Brad

Samuli
Posted Fri, 12/10/2010 - 10:30

Hi!

I have been training for 1,5years now and went 58kg->82kg. I got pretty much muscle but i have also bodyfat somewhere 23-28%. I really liked to start cutting my fat first time in my life and this is the way I liked to try!

Could you calculate my diet calories? Im pretty confused about the ratios i should use when starting this diet, and I want to do everything right, Cut fat without cutting my hard earned muscles. My BMR is 2900Kcal, im 18years old. 167cm tall and weight 82kg.....=<

Please can you give me specific ratios on what to eat? How much protein, fats and carbohydrates (in every carb day like low/high) I would love that!

Im also doing Power muscle burn workout 4days a week, is it ok to continue doing that? How much and where i should add cardio?

I would be very thankful if you could help me out here!

Thanks!

Bradb
Posted Fri, 12/10/2010 - 14:22

Hi Samuli,

Please check out this link to my site:

Hunter
Posted Sat, 12/18/2010 - 01:12

Hi Samuli,

I have learned a lot from your site and muscle and strength, I'm about a week into your dieting plan and I'm loving it, already seeing small results. I did want to know, however, if I work out first thing in the morning, should i just take the pre-workout meal for breakfast followed by the post workout, then breakfast and lunch, or eat breakfast as usual then take the post-workout afterwards, eating lunch later? What about my off days, I've just been eating five meals on my off days instead of the six, eliminating one of the afternoon snacks. Thanks for your help.

Hunter

bradb
Posted Sat, 12/18/2010 - 21:38

Hi Hunter,

Was this question directed to me? or Samuli?

-Brad

Hunter
Posted Sun, 12/19/2010 - 20:12

My bad, that was directed to you, Brad. Thanks for the information, its most helpful

bradb
Posted Mon, 12/20/2010 - 11:00

Hunter,

The best bet is to shift your meals as you had stated; a preworkout meal and postworkout meal bookending your training time and then afterwords eating your planned solid food breakfast.

Regarding eating on nontraining days, yes, you can eliminate a snack or two but be sure to keep protein high as you will need those all-important amino acids to help with repair and growth. Cutting a few carbs out is a wise choice since you will not be expending as much energy compared to a training day.

-Brad

Hunter
Posted Mon, 12/20/2010 - 17:42

Thanks so much and Merry Christmas!

Hunter
Posted Wed, 01/05/2011 - 18:43

Hey Brad I am loving the diet plan you referenced at
seeing some results after just a couple of weeks, I did however, want to know when you say 1 or 2 scoops of protein, how many grams are in your scoop? I have been using the Vitasport Pro7 protein complex with amino acids for my snacks in between meals, one of their scoops is 41g and 34grams of that is protein, but I'm flying through it and to use as directed is getting pretty expensive? Just hoping your serving size was smaller to cut back on cost. Thanks for your expertise.

All the best,
Hunter

bradb
Posted Wed, 01/05/2011 - 22:48

Hi Hunter,

The "normal" or most common size for one scoop of pure whey protein is around 22 grams. The protein I reference is just that - whey protein. Very little or no carbs or fats. Search here at MS.com for a more pure form of whey for a lower price.

-Brad

Francis
Posted Mon, 12/13/2010 - 13:01

Thanks, Brad. Greatly appreciate for answering my questions right away.

David
Posted Mon, 12/13/2010 - 17:23

hey Brad! I am 17 174 cm tall and i weight about 74 kg. Ive been training for 2 years and a half now and have made progress, but recently i found out i didnt pay much attention to cardio workouts and gained some fat especially in the lower part of my abs. I want to get ripped before adding more muscle and want to keep as much as possible of it while i cut fat. ive been training with one muscle building routine for 6 months and want to know if i should continue with this workout while i do cardio maybe 3 times HIIT and 1 day of low intensity cardio per week. I will also consume around 2500 calories per day and as much as possible of protein. I always push myself to the limit when i workout.

Thanks in advance for the advice you consider the best for my situation.

Bradb
Posted Tue, 12/14/2010 - 09:45

Hi David,

Please take a look at:

... and let me know what you think. Also, regarding training - what is your current routine like?

-Brad

David
Posted Tue, 12/14/2010 - 18:35

Hi Brad

I agree with the statements of the article you sent and I am up to try it as my main goal now is to get ripped.
My current routine is a 4 day split.On mondays I train biceps and chest. The next day I train quads and harmstrings. Wednesday is a day off. Then I continue with triceps and shoulders Finally, friday is for back, calves and abs. I always use as much weight as possible, but not as much as let it injure me. It´s similar to the 4 day muscle burn workout split that is posted in this website.

Thaks for the advice again.

Greetings

David

Bradb
Posted Wed, 12/15/2010 - 09:36

David,

Looks like a solid routine. Just be sure when starting any diet or training prgram to stick with it long enough (usually 6-8 weeks) to see a significant change (good or bad). After then you can adjust if necessary.

Train smart,
Brad

David
Posted Wed, 12/15/2010 - 10:41

Hey Brad

Thanks for the advice. I´ll comment my results in 8 weeks then.

David

PjMoZ
Posted Mon, 01/03/2011 - 04:29

Hi! im 5"7 i was 200lbs before. i started dieting and exercise, went down to 175lbs. I still have problems with my belly though. i want to gain big muscle. i bought this serious mass supplement. was that a good idea to consume 1250 calories per scoop but have 50 grams of protein? will i get fat from it? should i continue with this product and do cutting after i consumed all of it? thanks! I'm confused on what to do next.