Protein Synthesis, Muscle And Training Frequency

Protein Synthesis, Muscle Growth And Training Frequency

Full body workouts are outdated, right? Wrong. Find out what science tells us about protein synthesis, and how we can improve our gains by training more frequently.

The topic of protein synthesis isn't brought up much on muscle building forums. Because of this, you might be tempted to click away from this article, or dismiss it as unimportant.

Don't.

The topic of protein synthesis, as it relates to muscle building, is extremely important. Why is it important? Because protein synthesis tells us exactly how frequently natural lifters should train if they want to build muscle at an optimal rate.

Here is what we know. Research reveals that when you train a body part, protein synthesis remains elevated generally no longer than 48 hours. In most cases it is elevated approximately 36 hours, after which time it returns back to a baseline level. This science is not "new" news either. We have known this scientific reality for decades.

What does this mean from a practical standpoint? An individual muscle will only "grow" during this protein synthesis window. So, if you use a body part split, you are repairing and rebuilding for up to 2 days, and giving that muscle 5 days off each week. Though this will build muscle, it won't lead to optimal muscle growth rates.

You can bomb, blast, blitz and annihilate your muscles into extended periods of muscle soreness, but this will not extend the protein synthesis window. This notion that "more" soreness equates to "more" growth is off base. A muscle can experience growth without undergoing any noticeable degree of muscle soreness.

A study by Crameri et al (2007) looked at two different groups - one undergoing ES, or electrical muscle stimulation, and a second group undergoing voluntary muscle contractions. The DOMS experienced by both groups were fairly equal. What this study revealed was that muscle soreness was the result of extracellular matrix inflammation, which is the connective tissue that binds muscle fibers together.

So DOMS does not appear to be an indicator of muscle soreness, or muscle tissue damage, but rather pain derived from connective tissue inflammation. Therefore, training for soreness is a misguided concept. To grow we need to experience more muscle protein synthesis, and make sure this surpasses the level of muscle protein breakdown. It would also make sense to make sure we maintain a heightened level of muscle protein synthesis as much as possible.

Protein Synthesis and Optimal Training Frequency

As we have established, you can have DOMS in a muscle without it currently being in a state of protein synthesis. Take German Volume Training for example. I experienced mind-numbing muscle soreness for 8 days after a GVT squat session. Despite this, my quads were only in a state of protein synthesis for up to 48 hours.

The obvious question in all this becomes: how then should we train for optimal muscle growth?

The answer: with a greater training frequency.

Instead of bombing a muscle group each day with endless volume, you are better off targeting muscle groups several times per week with a smaller amount of volume per day. By training a muscle group 2-3x per week with a more moderate volume, you will experience a greater degree of weekly protein synthesis per muscle group, and as a result, more optimal gains.

Therefore, as a natural you are better served using a full body workout or an upper/lower split.

Muscular back

If you are natural and want to build as much muscle as possible, consider switching to a full body workout. On the average this will keep your protein synthesis levels higher.

Why Are Body Part Splits So Popular?

Good question.

For a very long time bodybuilding magazines controlled the information given to those seeking to build muscle. Because of this, natural lifters began to emulate the body part splits being used by top IFBB pros. What you aren't told is why these workouts are effective for "enhanced" lifters, and why they won't be as beneficial for natural trainees.

Enhanced lifters maintain elevated protein synthesis levels through the use of insulin and other anabolic drugs. You rarely hear this discussed on forums or in magazines, but it is the reality of the situation. People tend to only discuss the topic of steroids when it comes to bodybuilding, but the chemical soup being used is far more than simply steroids.

By using insulin (and other drugs), a lifter can maintain elevated protein synthesis levels, therefore negating the need to train a muscle frequently. The added recovery benefits they receive from steroids (and other chems), along with the increased receptor stimulation that comes from intense contractions, which could be derived from volume training, makes a body part split a "natural" choice for non-natural bodybuilders.

But So and So Made Optimal Gains!

I know what you're thinking. You've met plenty of guys who made quality gains using body part splits. They certainly did! The point of this article isn't to tell you that gaining on splits is impossible. It is obviously possible. In fact, guys can make very good gains on body part splits.

The question though is this: are these gains optimal? Generally not. If you are only experiencing protein synthesis for up to 48 hours each week per muscle group, there is still some optimization that is possible. Let's look at an example.

Let's say that Lifter A is using a body part split, and Lifter B is using a full body workout or upper/lower split. We will also pretend that all things are equal: training consistency, diet, supplementation, rest, etc.

During his first 3 years of training, Lifter A, Mr. body part split, experiences the following muscle gains:

• Year 1 - 14 pounds of muscle.
  • Year 2 - 7 pounds of muscle.
  • Year 3 - 3.5 pounds of muscle.

Lifter B on the other hand, might experience the following gains, which are a tad bit more optimal:

• Year 1 - 16 pounds of muscle.
  • Year 2 - 8 pounds of muscle.
  • Year 3 - 4 pounds of muscle.

Big arms

When Lifter A posts his body transformation pictures on the web, it is jaw-dropping! He looks amazing, and appears to be making optimal results. 24.5 pounds of muscle is a huge amount, and changes his physique dramatically. But, it was not optimal.

If he would have went the route of Lifter B, maximizing his protein synthesis by elevating it every 48 to 72 hours with a new workout that is re-targeting the same body parts, his gains would have been even more impressive.

Now obviously the above examples are just that - examples. The numbers provided are not expectations for everyone, though they are realistically based on the gains curve and how natural muscle building works from year to year.

Natural lifters tend to experience a decreasing of gains by about half per year, give or take. This can certainly vary if someone is starting underweight, or did not experience near-optimal gains during their first several years of training.

How Frequently Should You Train?

If you want to build muscle as rapidly as possible, consider switching to a full body workout. By targeting each muscle group 3 times per week, you will keep protein synthesis levels higher, on the average, which will lead to more optimal gains.

For intermediate lifters who have already built a quality amount of strength, training on an upper/lower split might be a better option. Heavy weight can take it's toll on joints and connective tissue, so a few extra days of rest per week might be beneficial.

Whatever you do, don't rush into a full body workout using a ton of volume. Frequency training is a completely different beast. The point of full body workouts isn't to cram in a ton of body part volume per day. Instead, you will hit each body part with a moderate to lower set volume, and train it more frequently.

Many guys fail to make the transition into full body training simply because they try to do too much each day. Start with a lower amount of volume, and evolve your training by adding more sets if you feel it's necessary. I recommend 3 to 5 sets per day for larger muscle groups, and a max of 6 to 9 weekly sets for smaller muscle groups.

Some of you will simply not like full body work. If this is the case, stick to body part splits. You are going to see far better results doing something you like, than using a training style you hate.

Have a question regarding this article, or the muscle building process? Please visit the Muscle & Strength Muscle Building Forum.

Related Articles View all Muscle Building Articles

Steve is a powerlifter who has also spent 20 years training in bodybuilding. He is a national level competitor training for an all-time over 50 raw world record.
Assault

Assault Helps You to Lift More and Train Harder for Longer!

3.8
Superior Amino 2222

2,222mg of High Quality Fast-Release Aminos Including All 8 Essentials!

Average: 5 (1 vote)

Drew
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 16:25

Awesome article Steve.

Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 16:51

Thanks Drew.

Derek
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 17:01

What is a good way to keep the level of synthesis up without over training your muscles? I usually deload every 4 or 6 weeks and focus on cardio that week. I currently run a 4-day split but am always up for something new. Thanks!

Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 17:05

Start with 9 to 15 sets per major body part, per week, and 6 to 9 per minor body part. Use this and you won't overtain. Most folks won't need much more volume than this, but it might not hurt to slowly increase overall volume by just a hair as you reach the later intermediate stages of lifting.

Andrew
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 17:59

This is a very well-written and informative article and I'm looking to take this info into consideration.

One question:
If I'm training body parts 3 days a week on this program doing a upper/lower body split, would my schedule looks like:

Monday: Upper Body A
Tues: Lower Body A
Wed: Upper Body B
Thurs: Lower Body B
Fri: Upper Body C
Sat: Lower Body C?

Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 18:41

There is no real reason to train more than 3-4 days per week for most of us.

You could do:

Monday: Upper Body A
Tuesday: Lower Body A
Thursday: Upper Body B
Friday: Lower Body B

Monday: Upper Body C
Tuesday: Lower Body C

And do on...

Hope thank helps.

John Cooperson
Posted Tue, 02/12/2013 - 19:41

Steve, if protein synthesis only occurs 36-48 hours after a workout, would you still need rest days if you timed your splits so the muscle protein synthesis cycled ended accordingly to your splits? ie, having 3 way split with 48 hours in between each body part.

Mike
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 18:07

Would love to see a sample full body workout including sets and exercises.

Stephan
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 19:08

Check out the Arnold training routines they have on this site, I was just about to start it and then I saw this article so am now sold.

Jordan
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 18:08

Do you know of any good 4 or 5 day full body workout routines? I just started the "Bulldozer training 4 day split".

Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 18:32

3 days a week is plenty. Look for several new fullbody workouts in the near future.

William
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 18:19

Should I consume a protein shake after my workout? During? One scoop or two? What are your thoughts on that.

Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 18:34

I don't over-think things much. I use Hydramino or protein powder intraworkout, and then generally protein powder post-workout.

Josh
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 18:34

Awesome article, thanks!

tristan
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 19:04

Since the beginning of jan I have been using a 3day full body split twice per week with one day rest in between. I am prioritizing chest my plan is as follows.
Day 1, incline bench press superset with bent over rows, incline dumbell press superset with single arm rows, incline fly superset with rear delt fly, dips low chest style superset with chinups, low back extension superset with hanging leg raises,wide grip 21s superset with calf raises I finish with internal rotations . Day2, I begin witjh a 4 way circuit (leg ex,side lateral raises,leg curls,bentover rear laterals in that order) then I move to squats, clean and press,lunges superset with upright rows,dumbell shoulder press superset with leg press and lastly shoulder shrugs. Day 3, benchpress superset with tbar rows,dumbell press superset with seated rows, flys supset with rear delt flys, low chest dips superset with pullups, low back ex superset with hanging knee raises, close grip 21s superset with calf raises and I finish with external rotations. I start week one at 12 rep range at 3 sets, week 2 I go to 10 rep range at 3sets, week 3 I go to 8 reps and 4sets on week 4 I go to 6 reps at 4 sets. After the last week I was considering doing a full week of power lifting, core and cardio and then starting over again with increased weight across the board. I am bulking eating very well and supplementing does this seem like overkill to u or is this a decent full body routine that would take advantage of protein synthesis?

Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 00:10

Just so I am understanding you correctly, detail how many total sets you are doing for chest, shoulders and back each week.

tristan
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 03:09

For chest per week I'm doing 24 pressing sets 12 dip sets and and 12 fly sets
Back per week 24 pulling sets plus 12 sets split of chins and pullups 16 sets low back extensions
Shoulders I around 45sets spread out as evenly as I can with emphesis going towards rear delt region per week with 24sets for rotator cuff as well. I split up my upper chest and upper back from my low chest and low back with one day in between.
upper chest with upper back superset on day 1 shoulders and legs on day 2 then lower chest and lower back supersets on day 3. I do this twice per week so I workout 6 out of 7 days per week sometimes taking one extra rest day if my body is telling me to slow down. I'm 6'2. 220lbs, My body type is wide shoulders long torso arms I pretty much have a basketball players body type / hardgainer.

tristan
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 19:07

Sorry about the long comment and thanks ahead of time for any advice

Craig
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 19:12

Hi Steve
I'm doing your 4 day Power/Muscle/Burn workout split

Does this fall into the category of the workout you discuss in this article?
Whilst it is a split it does revisit other muscles in a secondary way to the primary muscle group....if that makes sense!
By the way, I love that power/muscle/burn program!
Cheers

Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 00:09

That program does have some crossover, meaning both triceps and shoulders are worked 2x a week directly or indirectly, and the posterior chain is worked 2x a week directly/indirectly. So while not strictly an upper/lower split, there will be some stimulation to many muscle groups 2x a week. Hope that makes sense.

Craig
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 00:56

yes, that makes sense. I might do some lunge squats on the back/calves/abs day to give the legs a x2 week workout.
thanks Steve

Brent
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 19:41

great article!.. i just switched back to a full body workout the beginning of the month after split workouts for the last couple of years.

Ahmad
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 20:02

Great article Steve,
I actually started a full-body workout this week after a year or so of body part splits. the first day was hard. I'm mainly focusing on compund movements, here's what I did:
Squats: 4 sets 5 reps
Cable row: 3x10
Dips: 3x10
pull ups: 3x10
dumbbell press: 3x10
abs air bike: 2x until tired
I was too exhausted to do the air bike, so I did only five exercises.
Wednesday:
Bench: 4x5
Romanian deadlifts: 3x10
chin ups: 3x10
clean press: 3x10
bent over row: 3x10
standing calve raise: 3x10
Friday:
Deadlift: 4x5
incline bench: 3x10
hanging leg raise: 3x10
bar curl: 3x10
close grip bench: 3x10
reverse dumbbell flyes: 3x10

what do you think about this routine? Is it too much or am I just not used to full body workout?
what would you change?
Thanks much

Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 00:05

If it feels like too much I would drop the sets to 2 per exercise and give it a month. After this point I would try to build back to the volume of the program. No need to rush, as progression is the key thing you want to aim for.

Matt
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 23:36

Hi Steve,
Glad to read another great article. I'm about to come off of a GVT routine in three weeks and wanted to shift to attacking my muscles in varied rep ranges rather than only the 3-5 rep range I did prior to GVT. Would it make sense (in a full body 3 day/week routine) to work heavy Monday, medium Wednesday, and light on Friday? An example:

Monday

Leg Extension 3 x 15 superset with Lunges 30 seconds continuous
Seated Calf Raises 3 x 15
Chest Flies 3 x 15 superset with Dumbbell Bench Press 3 x 10
One arm cable row 3 x 15 superset with One arm dumbbell row 3 x 10
Weighted Sit-ups 3 x 15

Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 00:03

I would do heavy, light, medium. That seems to be your best bet overall.

Matt
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 08:52

Tim
Posted Wed, 01/23/2013 - 23:56

Hey steve great article!!
just a quick question. I have been training for around a year with dumbells, barbell, bench press and curl bar at home. I have made good gains, putting on around 10 kg (22 pounds). Most of this happened in the last 6 months, when i realised i was under eating and starting recording what i eat exactly. I was just wondering what i should do next. I have done your power-muslce-burn workout and recently completed the 4 week HIML workout twice. I think i am at an intermediate level, having good form and strength. I was thinking maybe try a full body workout?? I am nearly 18 years old

Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 00:01

What is your current height and weight, and where approximately is your bench press and squat strength?

Tim
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 00:06

i am around 5 foot 8 and a bit, 62 kg (still pretty light but have only 7% body fat as I play footy and cricket). I can bench press 50 kg for 8 reps and squat 40kg for 8 reps. I could go heavier on both but am always training by myself and dont want to injure myself and dont go to failure on those exercises

Tim
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 00:11

I am 5 foot 8 and a bit (174cm), weigh 62 kg (still light but i have only 7% bodyfat as i eat healthy and play AFL and cricket. I currently bench 50kg for 3 sets of 8 reps and squat 40kg for 3 sets of 8. I could go heavier but am training on my own and cannot go to failure due to risk of injury

Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 00:13

Hi Tim,

You will need to get stronger. Progressive overload is the key to gains. I would definitely try a full body workout, and find a way to train with a focus on progressing in weight. If you can't do the bench press at home, use the dumbbell bench press. If you can't squat, use dumbbell step ups and lunges.

Tim
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 00:18

Thanks for the help

Alvin
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 03:47

Hi Steve, great article and thanks a lot! Do you mind to share a workout plan just like what you did in 4 Day Power Muscle Burn Split for this upper/lower body split? Thanks for the help.

John
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 10:22

Great article, I started the 3 day intermediate full-body split from one of your older articles last summer, and instantly started getting stronger and bigger. Varied in Mark's 2 day 100 rep full body every few weeks and then switched to an upper/lower 4 day split (Insane Like Bane). Works great, reached my goal of a solid 200 pounds at 5'11" (was 190 with a gut little over a year ago)and am now using John's Density Giant Set 4 day upper/lower split to start dropping a few pounds of fat before the summer. Plan on using the 3 day full body as my summer program again (easy to find the time and can vary the rep ranges), but wouldn't mind seeing some new ones to consider in a couple of months. I recommend these types of splits to anyone who is a natural and just trying to be strong and fit, it fits into everyday schedules fairly easy. One tip if your hesitant, if your favorite chest exercise or arms exercise isn't present, switch it in for something else, try to view the week by body part and spread each of your normal one day muscle group workout across the week, comboed together. Just wanted to share my support for what Steve is advocating here.

Garrett
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 12:04

Can't wait for the workout routine!!

Shane
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 14:21

Nice article Steve. On this topic, I have really enjoyed your Bulldozer Workout. Do you have any plans to create a full body Bulldozer?

Scott
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 14:37

Hey Steve,

Great article and website...I am 35 years old and weighing in at 236. I have probably 30% body fat. I am currently taking a 24 day challenge for weight lose and a 3 day full body workout for muscle mass and weight loss. Can you tell me what supplements and diet I should take for optimal muscle growth? I been reading alot about workouts and supplements. It is really getting confusing. My goal is to 190 and solid!. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mnsjason's picture
mnsjason
Posted Fri, 01/25/2013 - 18:43

Hey Scott! Building muscle mass while trying to shed some unwanted weight is counter productive. I recommend that you focus on cutting to your desired weight before worrying too much about adding muscle mass. The reason for this is that you'll need to operate on a calorie surplus for optimal muscle mass growth. You see the problem. This flies in the face of fat loss, which requires a calorie deficit. That being said, weight training is a great calorie burner, and you'll see some strength increases while on a cutting diet.

As far as supplements go, I typically recommend the following:
1) Multivitamin
2) Fish Oil (Omega Fatty Acids)
3) Whey protein for post workout
4) Creatine

I consider these to be "staples." Also, check out this tool: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator....

It will help you determine how many calories you should be shooting for to cut some weight.

Jim
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 17:13

Good article, I want to switch to a FB or UB/LB workout, but most of these workouts are designed for beginners and/or focussing on fat loss. Is there a FB workout that you can recommend for intermediate experienced guys that are aiming for mucle growth? Thanks!

Posted Mon, 01/28/2013 - 16:25

I am going to be putting up some new options in the very near future.

Suliman
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 23:55

Good Article Steve,

There is a good workout plan in this website that is Full Body 2 Day intense workout. Do you think this is also a good fit for what you discussed about protein synthesis?

daniel taylor
Posted Sat, 01/26/2013 - 05:35

steve,
do you lift to failure on all sets then if your doing low volume each day?

also is there an exercise routine that works best?what i mean is do you start with chest and say go onto shoulders......each workout or do you mix it up each day?

do you just do one exercise per workout on each body part or can you say for shoulders do one exercise for rear delts and one for front delts?

thanks

Posted Mon, 01/28/2013 - 16:27

I don't recommend training to failure. I lift until I feel like I might fail on the next rep, then stop. This is a sufficient stimulus to trigger maximal muscle fiber involvement.

There is no best workout, no. progression on compound lifts is your best overall option.

Nagels
Posted Sun, 01/27/2013 - 14:27

Excellent practical article as always Steve , I'm currently looking at competing in a classic bb comp after an absence of 16 years.Been on a reduced calorie diet for the past few months to shed some fat and need to hit some lagging bodyparts for a six week clean bulk , will then cut for eight weeks.
How does this workout sound?

Sat Close Stance Front Squats 3 x 8 , Hack Squat 3 x 10, RDL 3 X 10 to 6, Leg Curls 2 x 10, Standing Calf Raise 3 x 12 , Donkey Raises 2 sets to failure

Sun- BB Rows 3 x 6, Lat Pulldowns 2 x 12, Shrugs 3 x 8 , Upright Cable Rows 2 x 12 , Neck Press 4 x10, Rope Pushdowns 3 x 8,8.12 , Short Bar Pushdowns 3 x 10

Tue-Leg Press 3 x 15 , Rear Lunge 3 x 10 , Sissy Squats 2 x 15, Leg Curl 2 x 8 , Calf Press 2 x 20 , Seated Calf Raise 2 x 15

Wed - Pull up 3 x 10 , DB Rows 3 x 8 , Lateral Raise 4 x 10 , DB Shrugs 3 x 8 . Upright Cable Rows 2 x 8 , Preacher Curls 2 x 10, Skullcrushers 3 x 8.

Plan is to develop more quad sweep , higher traps and widen out upper lats. Aged 46 now so three times a week per bodypart is going to wipe me. Will hit 2100 calories for six weeks(have been on 1800) and hopefully gain a few pounds (spend eight weeks cutting to make 165 pounds in early May.

Posted Mon, 01/28/2013 - 16:31

Thanks Nagels.

On paper the workout looks pretty good. You don't have enough quality pressing work though. I strongly recommend the addition of some form of heavy bench press, and a heavy overhead press variation.

Nagels
Posted Mon, 01/28/2013 - 16:48

Thanks Steve, will switch from neck press to incline bench , I might try some push presses for high reps altho my rotator cuff gives problems on overhead pressing. I'm open to suggestions though.....will train chest and shoulders only once a week as they're reasonably well developed.

Dustin
Posted Mon, 01/28/2013 - 07:41

I found this very informative and well-written. Thanks :)

Scott
Posted Wed, 01/30/2013 - 14:29

Steve,

Thanks for this article. It makes a lot of sense and has me questioning if I might need a change. I'm pretty new to all of this workout business -- 52yo, 6'2", 199# -- lost 100 pounds a couple of years ago through gastric bypass and lost a good bit of muscle with it. My goal is to build some muscle now that it's not covered up by all that fat! :-)

I'm currently in the 2nd week of the 10 Week Mass Building Program listed under Workouts. (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/10-week-mass-building-program....)

"The program works each muscle group hard once per week using mostly heavy compound exercises. You will train on a 4 day split routine, resting on Wednesdays and the weekends."

The program seems to be going well, although I'm not capable of very much weight yet. I'm wondering if I should maybe switch to a full-body workout and do that every other day (there's a simple one that is listed under Beginner Workouts), or maybe an upper/lower split and do that 2-day routine over a total of 6 days per week (3 times through the 2-day routine in a week).

I WANT SOME ARMS AND PECS -- and I want them YESTERDAY!!! LOL What's your best advice?

Also, as a newbie, I don't know if I'm supposed to use the SAME weight for all three sets of an exercise -- or am I supposed to increase the weight for each set?

Thanks!
Scott
Victoria, TX

john
Posted Wed, 01/30/2013 - 15:02

I am starting this workout that I have put together based on some of your articles Steve, I like to be able to stick with a core program but keep it versatile ***The staple lifts use the total reps across sets approach, with a strength and a density focus. Focus is on progression of course. Is it a solid approach?

- Tuesday - Chest, Shoulders, Tris
Incline BB Press ***(3S = Total 15/22R) ,Floor Press (2S = 16R), Floor Cable Fly (2-3*10) , Arnold/DB Press (3S = 18/25R), Upright Row (2*8-12), Rear Lateral (2*10-15), Skullcruncher/FP (3S = 18/25R), Close Grip Press Variation (3*6-10), Abs
- Wednesday - Quads, Lats, Bis
Squat (3S = 18/25R), Lunges (3*16) SS w/ Stepups (3*16), Seated Calf Raise (2*10-15), Weighted Pull-ups (3S = 18/25R), DB Rows (3*6-10), Cable Pullover/Strt Arm Pd (2*8-12), BB or DB Curl (3S = 18/25R), Pinwheel Curl (3*6-10)
- Friday - Chest, Shoulders, Arms
DB Bench (3S = 18/25R), Military/Seated BB Press (3S = 15/22R), Weighted Dips (3*6-10), Standing Cable Fly (2-3*10), Front to Side Laterals (3*6-10), Cable Face Pull (2*10-15), Cable Preacher Curl SS/ Cable Tricep Variation (2*8-12), Cable Cross Curl SS/ one Arm Cable Tricep Variation (2*10-15), Pushup burnout
- Saturday - Deadlift, Rows, Hammys, Traps
Deadlift (3*5 progressive), BB/LandMine Row (3S = 15/22R), Hammer/Seated Cable Row (3*8-12), Leg Curl (3*8-12), RDL or One Leg Press (2-3*8-12), Power Shrug (3S = 18/25R), Haney or DB Shrug (2*10-15), Abs, Pullup Burnout