Prohormones - Don’t Start Down the Road

Prohormones can often seem like the easy route. But prohormone use comes with many hidden costs - including your health.

Prohomrones cost health and moneyProhormones are inexpensive. You only have to do a little bit of web surfing to find a bottle that sells for around $30-35. And for your thirty smackerolas, you get a one month cycle. Not a bad deal, eh?

Before I address this question, and provide you with a shocking answer, I want to get something straight. Prohormones ARE steroids. Yes they are, ladies and gentlemen. Prohormones are steroids.

Once they enter your body, and are processed by the liver, you are no longer a natural lifter. And, oh by the way, did you catch the are processed by the liver part? Prohormones are oral steroids. They are hepatoxic, meaning they can damage the liver. Some much more then others.

Now, back to the question: are prohormones a good deal?

Heck, they’re cheap. And they sometimes work. They don’t work as good as their real deal, illegal counterparts. But they work good enough to be swallowed by mass-building wannabees.

So, for thirty dollars, you can add on a couple (or more) pounds of muscle. Sounds easy, and cheap. But wait. There are hidden costs. Let me explain why.

Because prohormones are steroids, they require cycle support, and post cycle therapy. These terms may or may not be foreign to you. Let me explain them.

As I mentioned, prohormones are hepatoxic (liver damaging). They also can, and most likely will, mess up your lipid panel. For those of you that are medically challenged, prohormones raise bad cholesterol levels, cause an increase in blood pressure, can cause headaches, hypertensions, dizziness, etc. Because of the side effects, you need to take cycle support supplements.

Cycle Support

Cycle support supplements help protect the liver, and fight high blood pressure and high cholesterol. You might be saying to yourself: self, I don’t need cycle support supplements. I’m young and healthy.

Wrong! This is 100% pure lunacy.

Prohormones affect each individual differently. For some, the side effects are severe. And for some, mild. But even when the side effects are mild, they are still there. If you still don’t believe that cycle support is needed, head to any training forum where prohormone talk is allowed. Now post the following: I am young and healthy, and do NOT need cycle support supplements during my prohormone cycle.

Next, wait approximately 60 seconds, and refresh your browser. You will find that there are now 10 responses to your post, all calling you an idiot. Getting the picture yet?

The following cycle support supplements are staples:

Cycle Support SupplementsLiver Protection

Milk thistle is the must have liver protection supplement. You should also consider using NAC, ALA, Curcumin, L-Carnitine, Taurine, Rhodiola, Green Tea and Lecithin.

Lipid Panel/Other Side Effects

Other highly recommended cycle support supplements are hawthorne berries (extract) to battle heart, blood pressure and circulation issues, celery seed extract to fight high blood pressure and anxiety, red yeast rice for lowering blood lipids, cholesterol and triglycerides, CoQ10 as an anti-oxidant, and joint support supplements for the aches and pains that often come with prohormome use.

There are more supplements that could be added to this list. But these are the basics. The minimum recommendations. Get your checkbook or debit card ready. The cost for these cycle support supplements adds up quickly.

Expect to spend somewhere in the ballpark of $50 a month for cycle support supplements. And remember, you need to take these supplements after your month of prohormones is finished. A 4 week prohormone cycle requires two months off cycle.

If you plan on using prohormones again, it’s best to stay on cycle support supplements year round. This is a hidden cost of over $600 per year.

Post Cycle Support (Or PCT – Post Cycle Therapy)

In addition to the long list of supplements you’ve already added to your shopping cart, you also need to take post-cycle support supplements for at least a month following your prohormone cycle.

Here’s the deal. When you take prohormones (steroids), you are adding synthetic testosterone to your body. You are artificially jacking up your testosterone levels. Because of this, your body produces far less natural testosterone. This is not an issue when you’re on a prohormone cycle.

But when you finish your prohormone cycle, you’re in trouble. Your body is used to the artificial testosterone, and isn’t producing much natural testosterone on its own. Your testosterone to estrogen ratios are out of whack, which opens you up to all sorts of unwanted side effects.

Ever heard of bitch tits? Ah, yes, my friend – bitch tits are a side effect of prohormone use. You start to grow breasts!  You will experience a noticeable swelling around the nipple…one that can be highly visible through any t-shirt.

There are other nasty side effects that can come after your prohormone cycle is finished. Your sex drive will take a dive, and you may not be able to get it up. And when it is up, you may find that it’s no longer a diamond cutter. Sorry if I sound crude, but we’re all adults, and these topics need to be discussed.

You will also feel a crash. A post-cycle crash comes from a dramatic decrease in the body’s testosterone levels. You will feel like crap. And oh, by the way, you will most likely lose ALL size and strength gains from your prohormone cycle. Why? Low bodily testosterone levels.

So, let’s recap. After your prohormone cycle is finished, you will crash, lose size and strength, and can also grow breasts and lose your sexual drive.

Sounds awesome, doesn’t it!

To fight these side effects, you need a full battery of post-cycle support products/supplements. Generally, the following is recommended:

SERM

“SERM” stands for selective estrogen receptor modulators. Sounds like something out of a 1950’s sci-fi movie. Simply put, SERMs battle estrogen related side effects. Most recommended and effective SERMs are illegal substances.

Why would you take a legal steroid (prohormones), only to get involved with  illegal post cycle products? If you ask me, it’s flat-out insanity. There are, of course, over the counter SERM supplements available. They are less effective as their illegal counterparts. Bottom line, to retain most of your gains, you need illegal SERMs.

AI

“AI” stands for aromatase inhibitor. An aromatase inhibitor blocks the synthesis of estrogen, helping to balance the body’s testosterone/estrogen levels. As with SERMs, some AI products are illegal, and some are not.

Testosterone Boosters

This is the third necessity on your post-cycle grocery list. You NEED to boost your body’s natural testosterone production. To do this, any number of supplements are used, from horny goat weed to tribulus terrestris.

Generally, a proprietary testosterone boosting product is used during PCT. This product generally contains multiple supplements known for their ability to raise natural bodily testosterone levels.

Post cycle therapy products (SERM, AI, test booster) are generally taken for a month following a prohormone cycle. At minimum, you can expect to spend $60 during this month. It is not uncommon to see prohormone users spending $75 to $100 or more on PCT products.

If you continue to cycle prohormones throughout the year, your PCT products/supplements will have a hidden cost of $300.

Prohormones – The “Real” Cost

It is recommended that after a one month prohormone cycle, you spend 2 months off cycle. This means you can perform 4 complete prohormone cycles each year. Here’s the total cost:

• $130 to $150 – Prohormones. 4 bottles.
  • $600 to $700 – Cycle support supplements.
  • $240 to $400 – Post Cycle Therapy products and supplements.

And the grand total is…$970 to $1,250 per year. Don’t forget, once you come completely off prohormones, you will lose almost all of your gains.

Prohormones aren’t worth it. The cost is expensive, the health risks are numerous, and the gains don’t last. And once you begin “experimenting”, you are far more likely to be tempted into spending money on illegal products.

Don’t start.

Related Articles View all Supplements Articles

Max Riley is a freelance muscle building and nutrition writer who has had his work appear in numerous print and Internet magazines.
Bio-Gro

Protein Synthesis Amplifier Providing "Fertilizer for Your Muscles!"*

4.6
Testo Hardcore

Tribulus & ZMA to Promote a Natural Increase in Test Levels!*

Average: 5 (2 votes)

AJ
Posted Tue, 01/18/2011 - 01:47

Thanks Steve for great article. I was wondering, is ZMA (natural test booster) also a steroid? Since the day I started working out, I never touched any supplement except proteins. A couple of weeks ago I got ZMA to see how much it can help me gain muscle and I only have taken like 9-10 capsules so far. What are your thoughts on this?

Posted Tue, 01/18/2011 - 13:20

Hi AJ,

No, ZMA is completely natural. It contains Zinc Monomethionine Aspartate plus Magnesium Aspartate and vitamin B-6. I know many natural lifters who take it prior to bed for better sleep, and to help with testosterone. I think it's a solid supplement, and worth trying.

Here's more info:

Paul
Posted Sat, 01/29/2011 - 00:53

is everything on this website a natural supplement, cuz i had seen a product call N-drol, and what one of my friends had said was if it has the work drol in it, its bad

Daniel
Posted Sat, 02/12/2011 - 11:22

Hey steve

Ive been working out for a year, and I am 5'9 205 also 18 almost 19 years of age. Ive been looking and LG Trifecta Stack stands out to me. Im wondering if in your personal opinion i should take it.. ive also been taking the basic protein, creatine, glutamine etc. Thanks your response is highly appreciated

Kevin
Posted Wed, 02/16/2011 - 22:51

Hi Steve, I kinda know the answer already but here goes. I'm 53 and have been lifting well forever. Couple of years ago I discovered spawn sold over the counter at the gym. Wow 10 to 15 lbs on the scale and big lifting gains with out the pot belly with a body fat that varies between 13 and 15 percent. I understand the article but I enjoy the 2 month pump that you can't seem to seem to get naturally.g I can afford the post cycle and have taken hard core test for post cycle use but still lost a lot of weight and some strength. I have never used a liver fix product never knew I needed one. Never worried about any effects until a random blood test at the doc showed 270 cholesterol! All of my cholesterol levels where all out of whack by a lot. Followed by a re exam and during a post cycle, numbers where way better but I had then checked my test levels and now they where in the tank. Testosterone level was 69 normal was 200 to 400 needless to say doc was not happy at all. Told her about the hct but not about the spawn. Off everything right now awaiting a re test in 2 months when everything should be back to normal if I stay off spawn and hct. Is there a absolute formula affordable or not that can be taken with a product like spawn that will keep your numbers in line and you liver intact. Btw I continued my spawn by finding it on e bay at 150 a bottle, I know what it sounds like a desperate a temp to keep lifting heavy but it sure is fun making gains that are equal to the 6 day a week 2 1/2 hours sessions I put in and never miss. After reading your article I am truly confused on whether to continue down this road or not. I think if I had the recipe for cycle and off cycle support and where able to off set the cholesterol and test levels I might continue. Thanks KP
O

Posted Thu, 02/17/2011 - 13:03

Hi KP,

Factoring in the costs, and depending on your health care, it might be more beneficial and safe for you to consult your doctor about hormone therapy.

This site is a natural site, and does not condone PH use.

JZ
Posted Tue, 02/22/2011 - 01:04

I am 19 years old 5'11'' 175 lbs. I have been taking a stack of 3-Test-OXO, MegaShred, and Epi from Complete Nutrition. I am splitting a stack with a friend, so we are only doing half a 30 day cycle. I do not want to continue with this method after the two weeks (we have taken it for about a week) though because the side effects I am reading about are freaking me out. Am I currently at any serious risk of permanent health concerns? Also, if i down cycle after this last week will I reduce the risks of gaining fat, losing muscle, or any of the other side effects? I appriciate your help

RC
Posted Sat, 07/16/2011 - 18:47

hey i was just wanted to ask a question.....

im 17 now going to be 18 in a few months but last year i took a 1 month cycle of mdrol somehow i managed to get my hands on some of it with no idea what i was doing. but i took it for a month and no pct or anything. but i was jsut wondering do you think it had permanent effects on my growth or anything like that. comment back soon plz and thank you

viktor
Posted Tue, 09/13/2011 - 14:40

hey man just wanted to let ya know - i was thinking about doing this stuff - but this article was a big eye opener so not going down the road

you might have just saved a life

James
Posted Thu, 09/22/2011 - 17:18

Hey there, I'm a 41 year old grandfather and have the last six years go pretty rough for me..let me start with back in 2005 I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis and would end up in the hospital for one to two weeks at a time at first once a month the a year later twice a month .. Im not a drinker or really never was didn't use drugs ...after exhausting GI doctors and such they told me my case was idiopathic ..so in 2010 my surgeon sent me to Houston for a autologous islet cell transplant which in short they take out pancreas and spleen and harvest the cells that make insulin and transplant into my liver hoping that the liver later will regulate insulin..my question is that before my medical problems I was 294 lbs. Very strong and athletic.. Now I'm thinly build and 164lbs. I need help and advice because I'm very week and seems like my muscles are disappearing my friends want me to try pro hormones but I'm scared ..I'm on a meal replacement protien cuz I don't have enzymes from my pancreas to break down fat ..I just want to build inner strength and lean muscle ..thanx for letting me bend your ear...James r.

Posted Fri, 09/23/2011 - 14:57

Hi James,

You don't need prohormones. You need a good muscle building workout and eating plan. You want to focus on two things to maximize results:

1) Pushing yourself in the gym. Using good form, always push yourself on every set. When you can perform the recommended number of reps for a set, add weight.

2) Eat to maximize muscle gains. Here are some articles that can help:

Hamish
Posted Tue, 03/13/2012 - 17:53

Hi steve.
Im not going to lie, im terrified after reading your article. I'm 16. and have been taking ZMA for 3 weeks. ZMA from Myprotein. It says take three a day, I have been taking one. Such a small doasge shouldnt have effects already surely ?- thats what I would've thought but yeah, my breasts have definatley grown, and i can feel my self becoming a twat. If i stop now will it muck up my natural testosterone levels or something?

Posted Tue, 03/20/2012 - 13:04

ZMA is only zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6. It's not a steroid and isn't going to give anyone gyno.

derrick
Posted Tue, 11/08/2011 - 22:37

Hi steve this aricle was exactly wat i needed. Im 26 and im an all natrual lifter who adamently disagrees with the use of steroids. I was completely miss informed of wat prohormones were but i would never but any thing in my body with out the proper research. Your article was more than enough to make up my mind. But on the other hand I've recently noticed significant decreases in my gains in the past couple weeks. I have a new daughter and have been working a ton but i refuse to miss days. I work out with high intentsity and shoot for new gains every week. I had know idea that lack of rest can effect my tetostrone levels; so is there any kind of natrual test booster or stack that safe and not borderline steroids that would help me break through this plateau. Again thank you so much for sharing your knowledge its much appreciated.

jason jack
Posted Wed, 11/09/2011 - 20:19

this articl pretty much hits the nail on the head great article, all ph's are a falsehood in your body and it does more damage than gains. ive used ph's and can vouge for the crashes and swollen nipples. yet i didnt quite get bitch tits 3 of my friends did 1 had to get surgery to remove the fatty tissue it left prior to use and the other 2 are on a natural suppliment sarsaprilla root trying to reverse the gyno effect. but great article keep it all natural

Big Muscle Girl
Posted Wed, 11/30/2011 - 21:15

PH is so tempting to many people and when you go on you tube and look up muscular guys or girls, you know if you've been training long enough, who's on it and who isn't. It becomes disheartening when a physique year round, that you wish you could achieve, was manufactured under PH use =(. I mean you see it, as you said, when they come off of it years down the road, still lifting but are way smaller!

Anyways good article and good read. Thanks for providing this clear cut info.

Gary
Posted Fri, 12/30/2011 - 22:21

To all the people who are 17-18 years old stop doing prohormones. You are in your prime and you are messing with your hormones. Wait till you are at least at your potential.
Messing with your endocrine is not a decision you want to make at 17-18.

Sam
Posted Tue, 01/24/2012 - 02:35

Crap D: I just got a new bottle of pro hormones today. And found this article researching cycle techniques. Now im extremely discouraged to use it. My first cycle was from october 5th till november 5th 2010. I went from 5'10 194lbs 8% body fat, to 5'10 208 6% body fat within that month through extremely proper diet and a serious lifting and cardio regiment. Today is January 24th 2012 my PCT ended around christmas time I am 5'10 201 6% body fat. I did lose some mass but i kept most of it. As for sexual impotence, It definitely hit me as soon as i got off of it. I didn't know that the PH was causing it though. It's all back to normal and i did retain the majority of my mass. I am currently on natrual test boosters as part of my lifting regiment. Thanks alot for this article though... D": i cannot risk to lose my manhood over a few pounds of muscle mass... I got lucky the first cycle. Whose to say it wont be permanant next time around. I think ill toss this bottle. :C

Rusty
Posted Mon, 02/13/2012 - 22:09

So, in laymans terms... if the post cycle stuff helps you...and the regular cycle stuff hurts you...wouldn't it be better to take natural testosterone booster, and the legal SERM, along with protien and creatine supplements, would that at all negatively affect my body? And would that give me quicker 'healthy' gains compared to not being on anything?

ricky
Posted Thu, 03/22/2012 - 05:13

Hey i have a question. i was taking all natural stuff for years but recently my buddy mentioned some underground Pro hormone supplement he recommended. i took it once. But immediately did research to find out what i just put in my body. I have decided not to continue with it after reading numerous articles. Which brings me to my question. Will having taken one pill one time effect me negatively in any way? i really need to know im already not going to continue but i need know if i have already done damage.

Ronan
Posted Fri, 05/11/2012 - 09:54

If its a stronger substance ,like what you would find in Superdrol, then you may already be shut down.It rally depends on the product.Methlayed compounds take a little longer to kick in whereas one that directly stimulate androgen receptors can take a few days.

Look at the back of the bottle at the chemical compound and type it into google.If any of the products its present in come back as being a clone of superdrol then get yourself to an endocrinologist pronto.

nick
Posted Tue, 05/01/2012 - 19:00

Hey Steve, great article. I just had one question.. Regarding the decrease in the libido and whole "diamond cutter" thing, will your libido return to its normal pre-cycle level? and will your testosterone raise to thier regular leves aswell? this stuff doesnt sound worth it! but just wondering,

dan
Posted Wed, 05/02/2012 - 05:27

Hi..thanks for the advice. I was going to try pro hormones but decided against it. I already take cholesterol & H.B.P. meds....Not a good thing to mess with the liver. I dont have a problem with strength. With creatine & nos booster I get pretty good gains. I was wondering if their are any natural supplements to help with weight loss besides sewing my mouth shut.

david
Posted Fri, 05/04/2012 - 03:00

Thanks for posting this, my friend convinced me into taking ph's because he uses them and after reading this article i immediately threw out the rest what is left in the bottle. It's unfortunate i did not come across this forum prior to taking the pills at all. I've been lifitng for about 3 years now and liked the thought of soemthign giving me a new edge, which is what intially motivated me to take ph's. Im still looking for something effective but not at the risk of my health or other factors. So i hope that ZMA is as effective and as healthy as you claim.

Ross
Posted Sun, 05/20/2012 - 05:18

Thanks man, great read. I was on the fence about PH and have been strongly considering them for the past few months. I have chosen to stick to the natural route. You are a life saver my man. I will remember this.

nope
Posted Wed, 05/23/2012 - 09:12

Erase and D-AA is all you need. D-AA is proven to increase tesosterone, but you also get a hike in estrogen - so, take an AI like erase and you get the free test to burn! Best of all, damn safe.

harold
Posted Sun, 08/26/2012 - 08:44

Will everyone please listen to this man! Lol these two product are so much safer,cheaper, and effective.

Anthony
Posted Thu, 05/31/2012 - 16:22

Hey steve,I am a college football player desperately trying to pack on a about 10-15lbs
I currently take elite gourmet whey protein, fish oil, and gnc mega men supplements. I also consume between 4000-5000 calories a day. This isn't doing much help what would be something legal and safe for me to take to give this process a much needed boost, right now i'm 5'8" 186lbs. please help.

Posted Fri, 06/01/2012 - 09:36

If you're not gaining weight you simple need to eat more. It's all about the calories.

simon lynton
Posted Wed, 06/13/2012 - 03:47

Hi, was miss informed too,didnt realise ph was steriods, i took a 8 week cycle with natadrol and md1, coupl of bottles of each and a bottle of mvv3, had massive gains, put on a stone of solid mass, i emailed my supplier and asked if these were like steroids,he said they were nothing like steroids so i continued my cycle, im now on pct using formadrol,zma,dda and tribulas and milk thistle, my weight has stayed same but noticed my muscle mass shrinking slightly. Also seem to feel bloated and have a pot belly a little, its not fat belly but it looks bloated. After reading your article i wish i never used ph at all. Please can you help which road to go down next to get me back on the right track and should i carry on with my pct for6 weeks .?? Kind regards Sy

noel culligan
Posted Sun, 06/17/2012 - 19:10

Hi Steve,Im thinking about doing a d-aspartic acid +pes erase,stack,both prod at the same time,Im 5'11'' 180lbs fairly lean,I just want to add size,loose som fat.Diet and workout are solid,any input would be a help,thanks

Victor O
Posted Mon, 07/30/2012 - 04:05

Hey steve, im 5,8 230lbs im taking super hd with iso flex protein shake post workout and thinking of taking A-HD testosterone booster by bp is it good to take or what do you think or recomend for a 20 year old like myself?

Chris W
Posted Wed, 08/01/2012 - 01:06

I did a cycle of PH about 6 months ago for about a month and did not use any PCT. I have noticed sexual impotency issues. Is there anything I can take to get my levels back on track?

MArio G.
Posted Sun, 08/12/2012 - 19:55

Excellent Excellent Article ... God bless y'all!!!

Chris
Posted Sun, 08/12/2012 - 22:10

Hey Steve I have been working out for 2 years now. Recently I have hit a platue and was looking at test booster and then got introduce to prohormones. I was curious to if test boosters like t bomb and P6 fall into the prohormones category seeing they do have a estrogen blocker in them?

Scott
Posted Wed, 08/15/2012 - 21:47

This is a great article. It also is TRUE. I have been experiencing significant gains in size and strength on pro-hormones at the expense of my cholesterol going up to 240 when it was normal. My testosterone level should be 240 or higher. Guess what, it is a ten. I have no sex drive. Absolutely none. I began to get dizzy, lethargic, not balance, edgy, and breathing heavier. I finally went to my doctor to get blood work done and told him what was going on. I just got the results today. Thankfully, they caught this in time. I have to see a Eurologist. It is not worth the risk. I am extremely disapointed in myself. I went from being a solid 236 pounds to 250 pounds. However, it was not worth it. Thanks for the great article.

Jay
Posted Thu, 08/16/2012 - 02:26

Hi Steve,
I am very skinny & have been working out for almost 6 months now. Recently I have seen an advertisement about "Universal Nutrition ZMA Pro Hormone Support Supplement".
Is it a steroid??? I am 22yrs old now with 5'11" height & 65kgs weight. Can I take this supplement???? Please help me.