Muscle Building Supplementation For Hardgainers

Maximize your hard work at the gym and time at the dinner table by adding these 5 hardgainer muscle building supplements.

Hardgainer? Attack this stack!Being a hardgainer can be extremely frustrating. The hard work you put in at the gym and dinner table can at times seem to take forever to pay off. While there are many articles that talk about proper training and nutrition for hardgainers, the topic of supplementation is rarely addressed.

This article will do just that. You will be provided with a five supplements stack that will amplify your muscle building efforts, and get you on the track to faster gains. Make sure to use these supplements in combination with intense training and a rock solid diet to maximize your results.

Hardgainer Supplement #1 - Whey Protein

Whey protein is unsurpassed in its ability to provide fast acting protein that is readily absorbed and utilized by your muscles. Whey protein is also highest quality of protein available. Whey protein is a rich source of branched chain amino acids (BCAAs), containing the highest known levels of any natural food source.

Whey protein is one of 2 types of protein that comes from milk (the other being casein protein). It's made during the process of cow's milk being turned into cheese. When the milk is being turned into cheese, the whey protein is a by-product.

The cornerstone of any hardgainer’s diet should be frequent protein feedings. Whey protein should be taken at minimum post-workout, and first thing in the morning. During these times the body is craving raw materials, including protein and amino acids.

Hardgainer Supplement #2 – Waxy Maize

Carbohydrates are the main source of fuel for the body. You need carbohydrates to keep your energy levels up for intense training sessions. Carbohydrate supplements fall into three main categories, simple carbohydrates, complex carbohydrates and waxy maize starch.

Waxy maize is a modified starch, a very unique complex carbohydrate capable of being absorbed very quickly. Whereas proteins assist with muscle rebuilding, Waxy maize starch is designed to refuel and replenish glycogen stores. Waxy maize starch can be used before, during, or after training.

Hardgainers especially need to focus on pre, post and intra-workout nutrition. Taking waxy maize during a workout can help to provide an energy boost, leading to more effective training sessions. Post-workout waxy maize helps to rapidly restore energy stores, and assists with faster delivery of protein and other nutrients.

Hardgainer Supplement #3 – Amino Acids

Amino acids are the building blocks of protein, without them the human body can't grow muscle tissue. Amino acids aid in recovery, repairing muscle tissue, and the development of new muscle tissue. Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) are among the most beneficial and effective supplements in any sports nutrition plan. BCAAs are the essential amino acids leucine, isoleucine, and valine.

One of the most important amino acids is glutamine. Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body. It's fuel for the brain and the immune system. L-glutamine plays a key role in protein metabolism, and when supplemented can help speed up recovery times and reduce muscle breakdown (catabolism). Working out can deplete glutamine levels in the body, and glutamine supplements help restore these levels for optimum performance.

Products like Scivation Xtend, Super Amino 4800 or BC + EAA by LG Sciences can enhance muscle recovery and work to fight muscle catabolism during intense, prolonged workouts. BCAA supplementation has also been shown to improve strength and muscle mass gains.

BCAA supplementation can improve muscle and strength gains.

Hardgainer Supplement #4 – Creatine

Creatine is the king of muscle building supplements. It is cost effective, and has a proven track record. Creatine monohydrate is one of the most studied supplements on the planet, and has been shown to cause dramatic increases in muscle size and strength.

Creatine has also been scientifically proven to increase energy. Supplementing with creatine gives you more instant energy (to push out those last few reps in the gym), acts as a buffer to lactic acid, increases muscle volume (users report weight gains of up to 6lbs in 2 weeks) and enhances protein synthesis.

If a hardgainer is looking for the most bang for their supplement buck, creatine is right at the top of the list.

Hardgainer Supplement #5 – Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs)

Essential fatty acids, or EFAs, play a vital role in fat loss, lean muscle growth, recovery and overall health. EFAs are often overlooked when choosing supplements, but these fats can help you reach your goals faster, no matter what they are.

In a Danish Study, researchers found that EFAs taken in the right dosage can enhance stamina by 40 - 60%, improve muscular development (they are anabolic), allow more frequent training without over training symptoms, speed recovery from exhaustion and training sessions, and improve sleep in some athletes.

Often overlooked, essential fatty acids are one of the most effective supplements on the market. No hardgainer should be without them.

The Ultimate Hardgainer Stack

For more information on this potent hardgainer stack, including information on when and how to take each supplement, please read Supplements to grow on: what to take and when.

Related Articles View all Supplements Articles

Max Riley is a freelance muscle building and nutrition writer who has had his work appear in numerous print and Internet magazines.
Z-Core PM

Promotes Deep, Healing Sleep & Increases Testosterone!*

4.5
Average: 4.5 (1 vote)
Superior Amino 2222

2,222mg of High Quality Fast-Release Aminos Including All 8 Essentials!

Average: 5 (1 vote)

Toolman
Posted Tue, 11/09/2010 - 16:41

I am in the hardgainer group and I am always checking out supplements. Is there any vitamins that would help. I use protein bars through out the day to get me to the next meal if I am busy - this is the hardest part for me as my job is demanding, keeps me lean and underweight.

Any assistance would be great. Work out four nights a weeks - heavy weights and cardio in the mornings and on off days - but sundays are usual rest days (family day).

Posted Thu, 11/11/2010 - 08:34

Hi Toolman,

You definitely want to add a quality multivitamin to your supplement use. Here are some great choices:

As far as food, try to eat things like whole milk, almonds, and natural peanut butter each day. This will help to add calories, and will help you gain. It may also be worth your time to drink 1-2 weight gainer shakes per day.

Ryan
Posted Sat, 05/11/2013 - 09:55

Hey Toolman,

Another piece of advice, I as well am a hard gainer and I have a job where I work on my feet the whole day. Make sure your eating six meals a day, and resting a day between each work out. Since it's hard to find time to eat that much during a work day just make sure in EACH meal your getting 30 - 40g protein and 75 - 100g of carbs. An example would be a protein shake, two nutrigrain bars and 1/2cup of berries. Simple as that. Hope that helps, good luck gaining!

pa
Posted Tue, 11/16/2010 - 23:05

For Xtend Amino acid when is the best time to take it, and does it have to be cycled like how creatine or Nitric oxide is cycled. Does carbohydrates need to be cycled

Posted Wed, 11/17/2010 - 09:20

Hi Pa,

There is no need to cycle off amino acids or carbs. For Xtend, sip on it during your workout, and then have another serving post-workout.

pa
Posted Thu, 12/02/2010 - 01:47

can i mix xtend and a carbohydrate in one drink and take it with water while workingout. also can i mix Etend and creatine in one drink or separate ones

Posted Thu, 12/02/2010 - 10:46

Hi Pa,

You can mix Xtend with carbs and/or creatine.

paul
Posted Sat, 01/29/2011 - 23:20

i had bought Bcaa powder and glutimine powder from Dymatize nutrition, is it better to take Xtend or glutimine and bcaa powder?

Posted Thu, 02/17/2011 - 14:12

I am a big fan of Xtend, but if you want to hand count out or portion the dosages yourself you certainly can do so.

Paul
Posted Tue, 01/18/2011 - 20:07

for amino acids when is the best time to take them, and is a product like Xtend will give u the same effects as super amino or beef amino. Is it better to take power or pills is my question.

mike
Posted Tue, 01/25/2011 - 19:52

I am 6'4" & 235lbs and 40yrs old. I am in OK shape alot more gut than I want. I want to trim down my gut back to a six pack and bulk up my muscles. HELP need specifics on supplement ratios for my age

Posted Thu, 02/17/2011 - 14:28
Mikey
Posted Mon, 01/23/2012 - 02:23

Im a 5'8" at 140lbs and old 30 years old... I have tried everything in the book to gain weight. I have been tone all my life and taken the right amount of calorie count, supplements, and work out; I just cant get any bigger... Is there any supplements or vitamins that I cant take to slow down my metabolism... I consider myself healthy but im sick of being scrony and tone... Want at least to be around 165 with a build to me so I dont blow away with the wind... Any suggestions...

Aaron
Posted Wed, 06/06/2012 - 12:55

I read that its not a good idea to supplement glutamine and creatine at the same times because they compete for the same receptors, is this true? Thanks!

Scott Millar
Posted Thu, 06/28/2012 - 08:06

I am 48 y/o and an Infantryman in the US Army. I have been a true hard-gainer and startlingly skinny my whole life. I am currently 71" and 136 lbs. In my job it is imperative that we spend a lot of time in the gym, but chances for frequent meals are few and far between. Army chow is not the most nutritious as most vegetables are caned and over cooked. Any additional suggestions for supplements would be greatly appreciated.

lucas
Posted Tue, 02/26/2013 - 03:17

ok im 21 im 6'2 240 i have these supplement but how should i use the protien ,carbs an creatine in a helpful way if you know what i mean im trying to get bigger stronger leaner an overall fit someone help me please an i do the 4 day split thats based on the 5x5

ryan
Posted Thu, 05/09/2013 - 22:11

the work out your doing is meant for strength building.. not so much lean muscle building.. maybe try 3-4 sets with 8-12 reps medium heavy weight n light weight the next...as for the pro/carb you need around 170-200protein grams/day n 240/300carbs/day....try this routine for a month or two n see what happens i think you'll be pleasantly surprised... I take creatine everday pre/post n first thing in the moroning on rest days....hope this helps good luck..

george
Posted Thu, 03/28/2013 - 22:23

Hi there, i need some feedback. Im 22 im 5'6 116lbs. i have took 2 tube of cytogainer and 1 tube serious mass. but i only gain 6lbs. i do 4 day split workout. should i continue took supplement or what your suggestion?

David Meyerson
Posted Wed, 05/08/2013 - 23:21

I've read many articles and spoken with specialists. Multi's don't improve your exercises. Yes they may add benefits to your system overall, but nothing that will be dramatic. Go with what you think, but no studies have proved they are beneficial.

David Meyerson
Posted Wed, 05/08/2013 - 23:26

Watch out for unnecessary additives...which is in ALL products in your GNC and Vitamin Shoppes. Know what you are putting in your body. You should pull back the curtain on these products and know the ingredients. For instance, DMAA in Jack3D is proven dangerous and can certainly be deadly if taken too much. Search for quality products that are FDA approved. Just some wisdom I've picked up through reading.