Lifestyle Prior To Change
What was your lifestyle prior to your transformation?
I didn’t really do any exercising or clean eating. I tried to clean up my diet but really didn’t know what I was doing. So I bought Tosca Reno’s clean eating diet books to get me started.
What was your low point or turning point?
I was so over weight and I was feeling very depressed and uncomfortable in my own skin. I have kids and was having a hard time keeping up with them!
Were there any unique challenges or circumstances that made your transformation particularly difficult?
Just the fact that my husband has a huge sweet tooth and always bought crap to bring home to eat. I had to learn to stay away from all that! Especially with kids, it’s hard too.
What was your transformation timeline?
- Transformation Start: Began clean eating and weight lifting in July of 2010.
- Milestone: Lost my first 5 pounds within a week.
- Milestone: In a months time I noticed my clothes were MUCH looser!
- Transformation End: I’m actually still transforming!
Kim's Training And Cardio Approach
What was your weight training approach and split during your transformation?
My trainer has me training different body parts on different days. I am in the gym 5 days a week!
Please add a workout that worked best for you:
- Monday - Chest and Back. Dumbbell chest press superset with lat pulldown, 3 sets, 12 reps each. Assisted pull ups superset with pushups, 3 sets, 10 reps each.
- Tuesday - Total body circuit. Total body circuit: hammer curls, triceps kickbacks, bicep curls, lying DB tricep press, jump squats, burpies. Then: lat raises, shoulder press, close grip pushups, bent over rear delt flyes, jump squats, burpies. Then: bench dips, alternating bicep curls, reverse grip EZ bar curls, overhead tricep press, jump squats, burpies. 20 times each exercise all the way thru. Rest 1-2 minutes between circuits.
- Wednesday - Legs. Seated leg extension, wall squats with ball and weights superset with squat jumps, plie squat superset with lunges, lying hamstring curl. 3 sets x 20 reps.
- Thursday - Cardio and Abs. 45 minutes cardio.
- Friday - Shoulders and Arms. Seated Arnold press superset with front raises, seated bent arm lat raises, DB upright rows superset with alternating bicep curls, tricep cable press down. 3 sets 12 reps.
- Saturday - Total body circuit. Total body circuit again with lunges, jump squats, mountain climbers, lying hamstring curls with ball, dumbbell deadlifts. I do this 3 times thru with rest period of 1-2 minutes between.
- Sunday - Rest day!
Please detail your cardio approach during your transformation?
I did cardio 30 minutes a day for about 4-5 days a week.
Please list 3 things you learned about exercise, weight training and/or cardio during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- That the body is an amazing thing and you can do amazing things with it and it responds beautifully to what you put it thru!
- As I continued with my weight lifting I discovered that I got stronger and stronger and that made me feel fabulous!
- I have asthma but have found that the more cardio I did, the better I became at endurance and that is a wonderful thing for people who have asthma. I have always had a hard time with physical activity due to this, but it is improving!
How are you currently training, and has your training changed since the completion of your transformation?
Kim's Diet And Nutrition Approach
What was your diet/nutrition approach during your transformation?
CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! I eat every 3 hours to keep my metabolism revved. I have a protein and a complex carb with each meal.
Can you provide us with a sample eating plan (please be specific):
- Meal 1: 4 egg whites, 2 slices Ezekiel bread or 1/3 cup oats, ½ cup blueberries.
- Meal 2: 1 scoop protein powder with water and 1 kiwi or plum.
- Meal 3: 4 ounces sweet potato plain, 5 ounces chicken, 2 cups green beans.
- Meal 4: 4 ounces ground buffalo, unlimited green beans or asparagus, ½ apple.
- Meal 5: 5 ounces chicken or ground turkey, unlimited asparagus.
- Meal 6: 1 scoop casein protein with unsweetened almond milk, 10 raw almonds.
Were there any diet/nutrition mistakes you made that you learned from?
No, due the fact that I have a fabulous trainer helping me!
Please list 3 things you learned about diet & nutrition during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Once I started eating clean, the pounds just seemed to melt right off---amazing!
- I know that I feel so much healthier inside and out since I have been eating clean.
- I don’t crave the sugar like I used to. Once I got into this diet, you don’t really miss what you don’t have! So, I really don’t miss the sugar!
Did you allow yourself cheat meals?
Initially no. But after a few months, I allowed one cheat meal a week.
What supplements did you use during your transformation?
Advice For Others
What are your best tips for someone looking to make their own transformation?
- Hire a good trainer! Very important! It has really helped me in my entire transformation.
- Plan, plan, plan! You have to be able to plan those meals and prep them ahead of time.
- Stick with it! At first it may seem like nothing is happening with your body, but you have to stay strong & believe! Stick with it because it WILL happen! Don’t give up!
How do you stay motivated? What advice would you give to someone who’s having trouble staying on track?
I just look in the mirror and see how my clothes are fitting and that is motivation! It is wonderful to fit into clothes I haven’t been able to wear for over 7 years! A good support system is essential too. I have a friend who is a figure competitor and she keeps me motivated! I go to her shows and get really pumped up! Also, my trainer is a great motivator! But I think the biggest thing is my kids! I want to be healthy and be around for them for a long time to come! Oh, take before pics...that is a HUGE motivator right there! When you look back at them, it’s amazing!
More From Kim Hric
What is your life like now that you’ve made a transformation?
My life is hectic with my gym schedule and work but I wouldn’t change it! I feel so much better about myself & how I look! I also notice that I get a lot more attention!
What motivates you currently to keep improving yourself?
I am currently training to get on stage for a figure competition...so that’s keeping me going right now!
Anything else you would like to share?
I just get really excited and happy when people approach me and tell me that I am motivating to them! I never thought that I would motivate and inspire other people and it’s such a great feeling when people in my gym come up to me and tell me that I do inspire them! It’s fabulous! And now I’m getting prepped to get on stage for the very first time!