Body Transformation: John Miller Body Transformation

John Miller made a dramatic transformation from a pudgy 170 pounds into a shredded 162 pounds, losing fat while building muscle mass.
Before Stats:
  • 170 lbs
  • 18%
  • 5'7"
After Stats:
  • 165 lbs
  • 6%
  • 5'7"

Lifestyle Prior To Change

John MillerI began strength training when I was in middle school to prepare for football. I made the varsity team in high school and continued pushing myself in the weight room. When college rolled around a fell victim to the lifestyle and got out of shape. During my last semester of college I decided to get serious about lifting weights and become a bodybuilder.

What motivates you to change?

The results and the chance to show my physique on stage.

Weight training is the best part of my day. I absolutely love lifting weights in a gym. It gives me a chance to forget about the stresses of the world. I can set goals for myself and reach them. A sound body brings with it a sound mind and a peaceful soul. Weight training gives me all of these great things.

My coach helped me the most in my training and nutrition. My coach is an NPC master competitor. He really showed me the ropes as far as bodybuilding goes.

What obstacles have you had to overcome?

The urge to cheat, but when you are focused and have a goal it is not too hard to stay on track.

John's Training Approach

What is your philosophy about cardio?

Last minute effort to add detail and lose the final millimeters before I compete.

Do you prefer HIIT or steady state cardio?

Neither, but if I had to choose it would be steady state.

What are your top 5 favorite exercises?

1. Bench Press
  2. Leg Press
  3. Deadlift
  4. Shrugs
  5. Abs

I Workout six days a week rest on the 7th. (Abs are performed every other day)

Chest
Plate Twist 3 15
Decline Leg Raise 3 15
Side Bend 3 15
Cable Crunch 3 15
Barbell Curl 3 7

John's Diet And Supplement Plan

John MillerWhat is your philosophy about nutrition?

Nutrition is 95% of how you look.

What nutrition plan has worked best for you?

A steady plan that involves eating clean nutrient dense foods and lots of protein.

Can you give an example of what your daily meal plan looks like?

• Meal One - ½ cup of oatmeal, 1 apple, 4 egg whites plus one whole egg, 2 scoops of whey protein.
  • Meal Two - 6 oz. grilled chicken breast, 1 cup brown rice, ½ cup broccoli.
  • Meal Three - 6 oz. tuna, 8 oz. sweet potato, 1 cup green beans.
  • Meal Four - 2 scoops of whey protein, 1 piece of fruit.
  • Meal Five - 6 oz. grilled chicken breast, large salad, 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar.
  • Meal Six - 2 scoops of whey protein.

What is your favorite cheat food?

I didn’t get where I am today cheating. Sometimes I crave Mexican food, good southern BBQ, or southern fried chicken. However, I rarely and I mean rarely cheat. When I am in the cutting phase I go months without touching these foods.

What is your favorite health food?

• Protein shakes: Whey protein of a variety of flavors like ice cream sandwich or cake batter.
  • I also love a good piece of moist grilled chicken.
  • Freshly pickup garden fresh green beans are excellent and they are even better raw.

What supplements have given you the greatest gains?

Jack3d by USP Labs.

What does your pre and post workout nutrition consist of?

Pre workout: Jack3d, Animal Pak, amino acids, whey protein. Post workout: a balanced meal (a piece of lean meat with some brown rice and a nutrient dense vegetable) or whey protein shake.

Advice For Others

Eat right! Seriously that is about all you need to know. However, a common error experienced by beginners is setting unrealistic goals and injuring them. Building a good body takes time and hard work. Hard work and dedication will always pay off in the end.

Bodybuilder John Miller

Related Transformations View all Male Transformations

Cardio Igniter

Support Your Best Performance and Get Ripped While Doing It!*

Quest Bar

High Protein, Low In Non-Fiber Carbs & No Sugar Alcohols!

4.8

Tom
Posted Wed, 09/22/2010 - 15:05

Wow, nice work man. I am 5'7 as well and also about 6.5% body fat. I would love to get up to 162-165, I think it would make a huge difference. Right now I am about 153. Plan on doing a nice bulk this winter.

Sameer
Posted Wed, 09/22/2010 - 19:24

I see that you have given the workouts that you do but can you give me a weekly routine. Like what do you on Mondays, Tuesdays and so on. The results that you, John Miller, have achieved is exactly what I am looking for. I would really appreciate your response on this.

Thank you.

John Miller
Posted Thu, 09/23/2010 - 21:26

Monday chest abs
Tue back
Wed Legs abs
Thursday arms
Friday shoulders abs
Saturday chest
Then your week begins Monday with Back and abs. Follow the rotation.

Ramsy
Posted Sat, 10/23/2010 - 23:16

Hi,
I'm 5'10" 185lbs, but my body is flabby and my biceps are really small. I was wondering whats your advice and should I follow your workout?

Seth Armstrong
Posted Fri, 11/18/2011 - 18:33

Hey John, I have a question I am a Junior in High School and I have been lifting for a year now and was wondering if doing all upper body every other day and Abs every other day and Lower body every other day is a efficient workout?

David
Posted Fri, 04/12/2013 - 10:19

Hi John, I'm from India and I'm very much interested in body building, my height is 5'7 and 169lb. Could you suggest the work routine with simple Diet plan and I don't like to go with the supplements. keep smiling... thanks in advance.

David..

Cole
Posted Wed, 09/29/2010 - 11:57

Hey John,

Amazing transition, congratulations! I'm currently a pretty avid lifter, at 160 on a 5'6" frame, but I'm looking to get down in body fat %. My abs are visible, but definitely not chiseled. Do you recommend your eating plan for someone trying to lose body fat as well, rather than just maintain? Also, do you recommend cardio? I usually do cardio once or twice a week, from 20-35 minutes, but hesitate to do more, as I don't want to lose the muscle I've worked so hard to gain.

Thanks for your time

Patrick
Posted Thu, 09/30/2010 - 23:08

Why do you have barbell curls under abs?

Mike
Posted Wed, 10/06/2010 - 16:36

I'd also really like to know if Cardio is a part of your workout? I'm currently working a similar routine 6 days and running 3 times a week moderate intesity for 15-20 mins. I'm wondering if I should cut out the running?

gary
Posted Thu, 10/07/2010 - 07:03

yeah should i do cardio after 20/30min?????
not sure if im takeing to much protein shakes
5am oats with scoop of whey
after gym 9am pro shake
lunch chicken pumpkin soup green tea
snack pro shake
dinner fish & vegs
snack low fat yougat
b4 bes casien shake
would you say thats a good diet..

gary
Posted Thu, 10/07/2010 - 07:06

one more Q i just bought some animal cuts to burn fat
is that ok to take it while im useing creatine
i can only train mon wed thur & fri is there any way i could do your workout in four days ?????

John Miller
Posted Thu, 10/14/2010 - 10:03

Here is the hierarchy of changing your body. FOOOD, Workouts, then supps. If you can eat right and only workout for days a week you will be fine. Drinking plenty of water, like a gallon a day, helps burn fat and keeps the kidneys at optimum efficiency.

Jason
Posted Thu, 11/04/2010 - 06:40

how long has it taken you to build up all the muscle?

saleem
Posted Tue, 11/23/2010 - 05:45

That's great what u have achieved. Please could u help me get in that shape. Frankly speaking i'm quite slim and been training but haven't yet built much muscle (not too regular. Please advise on how I should go on. Thanks

Oscar
Posted Fri, 11/26/2010 - 23:44

Wow, It looks like you made a huge Improvement in your body, good job!
Could you explain how your weekly rotation works I m kinda confused!

thanks in advance

Steven Mas
Posted Tue, 11/30/2010 - 16:10

Nice work John, I'm 22 as well and have a similar story and workout as yours. Just wondering what days you do your cardio on and for how long/how many calories do you normally shoot to try to burn off? Thanks man.

Michael
Posted Sun, 12/12/2010 - 08:51

Hi john , again -well done !
i would like to ask , i am sixteen and have been going to the gym five days a week for a year now , and haven't seen as much of an improvement as i might have liked..
was just wondering what you would advise e.g toning or building etc
i would also like to loose the small role of flab near the bottom of my stomach!
thanks for your time :)

MJ
Posted Tue, 02/22/2011 - 14:13

Did you really make this transformation in less than a year?!

chilskater
Posted Tue, 03/01/2011 - 10:43

How long you achieve it?Great transformation. Same height with me and almost same weight also..

zach stubbs
Posted Mon, 04/04/2011 - 09:07

great transformation john, impressive

ahmedmoussa
Posted Sun, 05/08/2011 - 12:38

this is what i want to do without supplements can i do it with normal eat and how long i take ?

martin
Posted Sun, 08/14/2011 - 12:17

how long did it take for you to reach your goal?

Ryan
Posted Mon, 04/02/2012 - 03:23

Awesome results! Good job, John! I'm going to try your workout. Hopefully I get great results as well! Keep up the good work.

Ryan
Posted Tue, 04/03/2012 - 00:09

I saw your workout routine you listed, and was wondering if you incorporate any other workouts or is that it?

Jory
Posted Wed, 05/02/2012 - 17:44

Hey John
Your transformation is unreal. Very impressive. I was wondering what you eat through out the week. I see your one day menue but what about the rest of the week. Working hard and seeing results but would like to get my abs going like yours
Thanks for any help

Jory

Nick
Posted Mon, 09/03/2012 - 00:15

how did you build that much muscle without eating a surplus of calories?

vernon mindo
Posted Tue, 01/01/2013 - 15:56

You might want to proofread the article, there are some errors.

Frank
Posted Fri, 01/11/2013 - 20:48

Do you have any diet logs?? I would be interested in them. Iam trying to put together a plan and not sure where to start.

sam
Posted Thu, 04/04/2013 - 10:34

Hey John..great transformation and I'm personally following your path but what method did you follow to lose the flab and fat around the lower abs? should I run a few miles after a workout session a few times a week or...???

Luis P
Posted Wed, 02/19/2014 - 23:37

Hey John I wanted to ask what your daily caloric intake ends up being based on your diet..I am 6'2'' 207 lbs and wanted to see if your meal plan would apply to me.