Lifestyle Prior To Change
What was your lifestyle prior to your transformation?
Tired, achy, making poor food choices.
What was your low point or turning point?
I filed for divorce.
Were there any unique challenges or circumstances that made your transformation particularly difficult?
At one point in July, 2010, my divorce was final. I bought a house, moved in, and started to remodel my kitchen - which would leave me to no oven to cook my meals. I would drive over 25 minutes to my mom’s just to cook my chicken for the week.
What was your transformation timeline?
- Transformation Start: Joined gym on May 21, 2010. Hired a trainer May 28, 2010.
- Milestone: June 2010, hired nutrition coach Graig Presti with the Dietdocchicago.com.
- Milestone: Decided to make the one of the biggest leaps in my life... enter in a bodybuilding and figure competition in October 23, 2010.
- Milestone: Competed in my first figure competition and won 1st Place, 2nd in Masters.
- Milestone: November 20, 2010, ended with my 2nd competition in the top 5. Placed 4th in Masters 35+ and open class.
- Transformation End: November 2010. This year I have decided to try my ultimate goal yet... I will be competing in 3 shows this year in hopes of winning my pro card!
Deana's Training And Cardio Approach
What was your weight training approach and split during your transformation?
My trainer had me doing a 4-day split.
- Monday - Shoulders. I dedicated a day for only shoulders.
- Tuesday - Back and Chest. Back was a strong area for me.
- Wednesday - Rest/cardio. 20 minutes stair or elliptical.
- Thursday - Arms.
- Friday - Legs. Love, love leg day... It’s all about getting it done with intensity this day.
- Saturday - Rest/cardio. 20 minutes stair or elliptical.
- Sunday - Cardio. 20 minutes running outside or treadmill.
Please detail your cardio approach during your transformation?
I was actually only doing three 20 minute sessions of cardio. I prefer interval cardio to get my heart rate up. I would alternate from elliptical/treadmill.
Please list 3 things you learned about exercise, weight training and/or cardio during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Lifting weights will help transform your body and burn calories.
- Abs are made in the kitchen. Doing crunches everyday is not going to give you that six pack.
- Too much cardio can hurt you rather then help you.
How are you currently training, and has your training changed since the completion of your transformation?
I train myself and no longer have a trainer. I’m in the gym 4 days a week weight training followed by 3x a week 20 min of cardio. I’m kind of what you call a nature of the beast, and just love being in the gym. I haven’t changed much except I have recently started training harder and heavier to get ready to compete again in September.
Deana's Diet And Nutrition Approach
What was your diet/nutrition approach during your transformation?
I hired a nutrition coach - Graig Presti with the dietdocchicago.com.
Can you provide us with a sample eating plan (please be specific):
All my meals were based on protein, carbs and fats. A typical day was:
- Meal #1 - ½ cup oats, ¼ cup egg whites. 1 scoop whey protein, 1 tbsp peanut butter.
- Meal #2 - Post-workout. 8 oz Almond Milk, 1 scoop of whey protein.
- Meal #3 - ½ sweet potato with 4 oz chicken.
- Meal #4 - 1 cup spinach salad, 1 cup asparagus and tilapia 4 oz.
- Meal #5 - 1 rice cake, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter and cinnamon on top.
Were there any diet/nutrition mistakes you made that you learned from?
Yes, I thought running 6 days a week was benefiting me when actually it was destroying me metabolically. I always thought carbs made you fat. Little did I know that is what you need to get you nutritionally fit.
Please list 3 things you learned about diet & nutrition during your transformation that helped you succeed:
- Carbohydrates are key to your metabolism and losing weight.
- Too much cardio can actually do more harm than good to your metabolism.
- I hired a nutrition coach, who helped me with a program that was a unique for me.
Did you allow yourself cheat meals?
What supplements did you use during your transformation?
- Multivitamin 1-2 Caps daily.
- Fat burner 1-2 tabs before workouts.
- Amino acids - caps before and after workout.
- Whey Protein shake within 20 minutes of workout.
Advice For Others
What are your best tips for someone looking to make their own transformation?
- Hire a trainer to help you get started. Learning the proper way to exercise is the most important part.
- You're going to get exactly what you put into it.
- Keeping a positive attitude and surrounding yourself around those who support you.
How do you stay motivated? What advice would you give to someone who’s having trouble staying on track?
Being an example for my daughters and showing them that taking care of your body with exercise and nutrition is essential to your health. It also helps staying motivated by keeping myself around positive people. Write down your goals and remember that if you want that rainbow you have to go through a couple of storms first. Educate yourself on the correct way to work-out and a nutrition program. I am a firm believer that you need all the tools to make it work.
More From Deana Jones
What is your life like now that you’ve made a transformation?
I am in the gym at least 4 days a week and feel great.
What motivates you currently to keep improving yourself?
I love the way I look and feel.
Anything else you would like to share?
Taking care of your body is the best health insurance you can give to yourself. Start from the inside and work your way out. Utilize the resources around you to help you and when you want to give up reach for that inner strength to help you know that anything is possible if you want it!
How can people contact you?
Images courtesy of Ichiban Photography, Forty Photography and Bright World Images.